2007 prep

Moderator: DLRA

ben james

2007 prep

Post by ben james »

hi guys where is everyone, this site is like a ghost town, rumour is one of our loudest members is out hangin out with chicks. got my donor bottom end for my new engine. bought a near complete gpz1100b1 kwacka for $500. i'm on my way now ronnie. bought it of rob cassar, long time drag racer. anyway lots of work to do.
cheers ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

G'day Ben,
I'm still lurking 'round in the forum wondering who's doing what.
My 2007 plan has had a setback , the wonderfull US postal service has decided to class a used Honda 50 engine as a potential hazardous item, and theres more than a good chance I'll never see it, unless I pay US$300 for freight (on top of the $70 iv'e already forked out)
So @US $300 the postal service will turn a blind eye to the "harardous item" but for US $70, it won't ?
I know the oil prices are rediculous, but the 3 drops smeared out to cover the Honda internals wont help, even if the do stay in the good 'ol US of A
Bugga ME! :cry:
Tinyterrorist (not!)
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Dr Goggles

loudest?

Post by Dr Goggles »

...................................rumour confirmed , further details later. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DirtyDave

A/Gas or A/Fuel 1650cc

Post by DirtyDave »

Still not quiet sure what i'm doing, Still got a super trick 1498cc full dome piston kit in a stock barrel for sale suit GSx EFE motor, 18;1 comp..

Ordered a 1642 piston kit which is in transit, detuning and raising the CC of my Drag Racing Donk,
Selling the Megatrons n Prostock Ignition aswell, switching to EFI,,

Going to Try and Build a new chassis will start soon, might post some construction pictures. If it gets to hard I'll just back Half my Katana..I'll know i'll have to run it with out the front clip in A/

Thinkin like Hawkwind might not worry about Racing fuels and go straight for Methanol, as it mixes well with NITROMETHANE Can you swith classes friday afternoon...???
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Dave
Thats a good question (can you switch classes)
In 04 I ran two classes, with and without nitrous, told the starter on the line etc but only got recorded one class on the official list
Have others successfully run 2 classes and is there a special procedure?

heh what they say, petrols for washing parts, alcohols for drinking, NITROS for racing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seeya Chris
Acme Racing #251
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

yes Dave you can run 2 classes ,provided they are in the same
catagory ,ie both in modified or both in special construction
sounds interesting that project of yours :) , I dont know what you can get your alky for ,I purchase 205ltr drums of CSR methanol ,works out at around 90cents a ltr , if you are going to use pop ,let me know as Im thinking of trying some on the milk truck ,
cheers
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
DirtyDave

Pop

Post by DirtyDave »

got my piston deal sorted today. working on chassis design to will send Hawkwind and Brian Nicholson Drawing when i make my mind up..
As for methanol i haven't priced any yet but a buck a litre sounds cool hey..the running cool is my main reason and not that it mixes well with pop NOT...
I will source mine through my friend that races the Nitro Funnycar, as he has access to pharmaceutical grade methanol, 100%.. not racing methanol 99% 1 % of stop you drinkies in it?/??..

Hawkwind Hobby shops sell Nitro Methane in 4litre containers, tis the same as what the Big Boys use. Just make sure it hasn't bin mixed with metho, and is 100%...

Thinkin low comp would suit Nitro Methanol Blend i know it sure sounds and smells freaken COOL
Marty Hicks

alky stocks

Post by Marty Hicks »

Dave,

Picked up my Methanol for this year from Scotcher Race Fuels at Wingfield. Took my plastic jerrys down and they filled them from the pump for $1.20 a litre. They also sell castor oil which I mixed with the fuel at 80:1. I was told that methanol has no lube qualities, so the oil acts as an upper cylinder lubricant.
Dont know if the castor oil is really needed, but it sure do smell purdy!

Also...if running efi and alky get the biggest fuel pump you can. I had to replace mine as it could'nt handle the amount of fuel required. I ended up using nearly twice as much meth than i did on pump fuel.
MEMBER #439
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Cheers Marty,
I noticed the Hopped up 1500cc Busa's run 350cc P/M injectors on racing Gas, so thinkin i might need up around the 700cc/900cc and a good pump.
But that is just my guessing, :idea:
If you do the CFM calculations on our motors they don't need much, but talking with people that have tried some of these things our jiggers seam to be a little more efficient at consuming air/fuel ....than a program designed around a pushrod piece of shit... :roll:
Dr Goggles

Re: Pop

Post by Dr Goggles »

DirtyDave wrote:I will source mine through my friend that races the Nitro Funnycar, as he has access to pharmaceutical grade methanol, 100%.. not racing methanol 99% 1 % of stop you drinkies in it?/??..

...........um , ethanol for drinking , methanol for racing.....just a couple less atoms( C, H, O) on the molecule and the party's over :shock:

...had a job once at a research institute where the christmas punch was always "kicked" with reagent grade(100.00%) ethanol , with predictable results.

..........for the record .Methanol is the smallest alcohol molecule ( one carbon , four hydrogen and one oxygen atom)and is toxic , next up is our old friend and confidant Ethanol ( two Carbons , six hydrogens and one oxygen)......proportionally you can see why Meth' is a better fuel as it has a higher relative oxygen count( it's a little more complicated actually) but there we go .

Methanol is added to ethanol in order to exempt it from excise duties .....

...herendethelesson........hic!
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DirtyDave

mmm

Post by DirtyDave »

Rightio Chaps,
Reagent and Tonic with a slice of lime and a little umbrella anyone,
hawkwind racing

Yer Dave I know where to get nitro ,if you can source it through your funnycar mates, after aprox 60 ltrs as cheap as possible , I sourced it in 210 ltr drums for aprox $1300, I only want to expirement ,as you know you use heaps of it and its freakin exxy , the milk truck was designed with low comp just for that reason :wink: regarding alky Im using a BSFC of 1.2 for a blown alky busa im putting together , will be running 2 injectors per cylinder (staged ) primaries 800cc secondaries 1600cc and 2 bosch 044's
Gary
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Yo Hawkwind,
the Nitro at the hobby shop in the four litre containers was cheaper than the VP nitro, that was a joe blow price.
the problem with nitro is you nead spare motors when experimenting.
Your injector sizes look like something Jay Upton would be using is your busa motor CNC'd from hunk of billet... :roll:

I was thinkin about injected nitro but my main concern was Nitro Motors like lots of load and timing to burn and i don't think the salt will give you that, Tall gearing and load on nitro and a loss of traction = Suzuki and Aluminium Confetti.. I also think if you are going to to run Nitro then use it from the startline as a second stage will blow the tyres of it :?: :idea: if it comes on hard. :shock: :shock:
hawkwind racing

A lot of the fast roadsters and some streamliners use nitro ,they seem to go very fast on the salt , I believe the % is aprox 50/50 with alky maybe 60/40 experimenting means sneeking up on it ,as for the injector sizes my injector sizing programe came up with those figures .for 600 hp on methanol at a 60%duty cycle and 43 psi , it leaves a bit of spare capacity :) ,just finished raking the frame 10* now out to 75" with the extended arm and 125kg of lead ballast over the rear wheel
Gary

ps I have 2 spare motors :wink:
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Well Hawkwind,
that is a big ask from a little engine, sounds like you might nead a spare motor for tuesday, wednesday, thursday and friday if you want to play at speedweek.
what sort of kompressor are you using..