Toyota primus (or any other hyrid)

Moderator: DLRA

w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Gary

as Gordon said the Prius has two engines, and under soft throttle uses only the electric. Anything harder starts the petrol engine. The petrol engine starts automatically, and you hardly notice it. It also stores the hot water from the radiator in a big thermos, so the engine isn't always starting cold. Very Clever. My earlier point is that full throttle is using two engines which may confuse existing rules for speed records.

The Prius was bagged by Clarkson on Topgear, but he is a mouthpiece for the yobbos, so that's to be expected. As I said, they actually have pretty decent acceleration for a 'green' car. It's capable of 49 mpg, so for it's weight that's pretty good.

There are some prettyfast electric cars around.
David Leikvold

a new class?

Post by David Leikvold »

Maybe we should create a new class for hybrids. It doesn't matter that there aren't any here yet, someone might build one if a class exists. Rather than specify the class of car we could just make hybrid an engine class so they can run in any type of vehicle. I doubt that many people will ever run a Prius here (too expensive and not fast enough, i.e. the bang for the buck ratio is too low.
Gordon D might even sell the mighty Clio and buy a Prius! As long as it had automatic windscreen wipers of course, the perfect accessory for people with no discernible talent for noticing anything when they drive. All my fellow bike riding members will know the ones I'm talking about. The wipers go nicely with the headlights that come on automatically for those similarly gifted drivers you see at night wondering why you are flashing your lights at them.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Maybe we should create a new class for hybrids. It doesn't matter that there aren't any here yet, someone might build one if a class exists.

David - I don't know that creating a class where there is no demand is a very good idea as you would have to create many others as well (steam, solar, nuclear, the Force etc). I'd suggest to anyone thinking of entering a car without a current class to get in touch with the club to discuss it, that way it can be built right the first time. It would seem to be the smart approach before you start spending a lot of money. This is what Big Gaz and I did - do a recon the first year, work out what to build, talk to people who know, build it.

I think it's also sad to see others who read the rules, say "there's no class for my XXXX" and then whinge rather than ask advice. But then, who needs stupid people? and just maybe they had no intention of racing it in the first place....

Lynchy
Dr Goggles

Lack of class

Post by Dr Goggles »

.........M.C.D.D Class :lol: :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

no class at all

Post by David Leikvold »

Lynchy, you make sense, I suppose if someone did come up with a good idea for an unusual car discussing it first would be a much better idea.
Doc, even fewer understand what you're trying to say this time!! I give up, what does M.C.D.D. stand for?
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

gordon,
you should just take a leaf out of my book and take your late model daily driver and build yourself a land speed racer and stop with all the "dinosaur rules" bull!!!!!!!!!! well thats my 5 cents worth anyway. :twisted:
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
Live Life In The Fast Lane.
2010 MPS/G 650 144.057 mph
Dr Goggles

Re: Lack of class

Post by Dr Goggles »

Dr Goggles wrote:.........M.C.D.D Class :lol: :wink:

:oops: my mistake it should have been M/CDD.......engine capacity , induction, fuel type then body style is the usual designation isn't it?

So , Miserable/CheeseDickedDingbat........Ohhhhhh we were talking about the Prius , my mistake :roll:

In all seriousness .The Bonneville situation was of course the correct approach .LSR is about optimizing , not "racing " within a given set of parameters it is the machine not the driver...not tuning the suspension or engine for a certain track etc.So of course it makes sense to create a class for a vehicle for which there is no precedent .

...just off to have some cheese on toast..........................
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I'm not speaking for Brian Nicholson our Cheif Scruitineer, but from discussions we have had and he has presented to recent meetings. There are a set of classes there now. If you want to race, pick a class and off you go. But the days of dragging what ever it is out of the garage and expecting the DLRA to dream up a class, that no one will ever run again are definately gone.
So the guy with the wheelstanding FC Holden wagon (I'm serious) will never get a run.
Is this a bad thing? I'm saying no it isn't, because there are plenty of guys out there with cars that do comply with DLRA rules and classes who will be only to happy to get some more runs that these novelty entries soak up.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor