Toyota primus (or any other hyrid)

Moderator: DLRA

nitro-nige

Toyota primus (or any other hyrid)

Post by nitro-nige »

Just a crazy question that came out of a discussion at work.

Would a toyota primus be considered a vehicle with two engines as seeing that it has a petrol motor and an electric motor? And if so does that mean that it would have to run in the streamliner class?

Alternatively would it be classified as an electric class car or do electric cars have to run only off batteries?

Back to the daydreaming
Nige.
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

I think it would be in a class all on its own. Hybrid.
Member DLRA 112.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Hmm, Toyota Primus, yep I'd like to see that. Cook your snags and boil the kettle at 150 clicks. Natual Gas is still GAS class.

I think you mean a Toyota Prius
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

It would come under omega class as the wheels are driven by electric motor ,battries are charged by IC engine
gary
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

We had a Prius at work. Accelerates really well when you sink the wellie. That's because it's using the petrol engine and electric motor together at full throttle. It also has a very low CD so could potentially go quite fast. They had one up to 130 mph at boneville http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/p ... dspeed.htm

Details

The specially prepared Toyota Prius - the largest selling hybrid car in history - broken previous hybrid speed records, reaching 130.8 miles per hour (210.49 km/h) on a 3 kilometer plus track.

The changes made were: stripping out the interior to reduce weight, the gear ratio changed from 4.32:1 to 3.2:1, and the inverter voltage was increased from 500 volts to 550 volts. The transmission was also fitted with a new cooling system to reduce problems issues with the transmission and inverter adjustments. The racing Prius was also lowered by 5 inches to make it more aerodynamic. , and a roll cage was added.
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

w3stie wrote:... It also has a very low CD so could potentially go quite fast.

I heard that as well, not just a low CD, but also designed to have zero lift (very handy).

Stuff a proper motor in it, I'm thinking mid-mounted Hemi, then it could be a real good car! :twisted:
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
Dr Goggles

Goin' hard

Post by Dr Goggles »

Brootal wrote:Stuff a proper motor in it, I'm thinking mid-mounted Hemi, then it could be a real good car! :twisted:

.then it would be a Priapus , not a Prius :lol: :lol: it goes deeper than we think Broot' (and you'd appreciate it being a Moper)...all it needed was "ap"..............

In all seriousness though would it be Omega Gary coz as W3stie said it's got two engines running at once at full whack.......it's illegal to run a blower powered with an electric motor aint it? so where would the Prius be?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

yep omega , firstly as explained its the electric motor driving the wheels , the petrol engine is a battry charger ,and secondly the rules state no more than one ENGINE there is a difference between MOTOR & ENGINE so it only has one engine :P
Gary
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

.then it would be a Priapus , not a Prius it goes deeper than we think Broot' (and you'd appreciate it being a Moper)...all it needed was "ap"..............

Hey Goggles - have you been learning to form sentences from Jack D??? Where's that gibberish to english dictionary again??

Lynchy
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

I have seen an electric powered vehicle ( streamliner ) go over 200 mph @ Bonneville . It just went ..... silently along ... not even a whoosh . mmm i like some noise dont you ?
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

if you dont like the dlra rules so much why bother with it Gordon.(D)
so negitive......
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
Dr Goggles

Gotcha

Post by Dr Goggles »

Nice to have you back Gordon you miserable cheese dicked dingbat , before making a statement like 2./ you might want to re-read what you said in 1./.....close , but no cigar I'm afraid , and delightfully, you've contradicted yourself apart from throwing in some gems like ..."the electric motor is provides power from the batteries".........oh, does it just? :lol: .................. It is very touching to see that you continue to hang around and watch the goings on here when you obviously hold it all in such contempt .Anyway , keep up the good work and keep carrying that axe , BTW hows that fire-breathing Clio? :roll: :wink:

GordonD wrote:1./Not true at all. That is NOT how the drive train of a Prius works. The electric motor only adds its power to whatever power the petrol engine is delivering. When the car stops the petrol motor switches off. When the battery has plenty of charge in it and you only press the accelerator lightly, like in stop-start traffic, the petrol motor stays off and the electric motor is provides power from the batteries. If you press the accelerator harder the petrol engine starts and the power from both electric and petrol motors are driving the car. When the car is up to speed the electric motor cuts out and all the power is coming from the petrol motor. And when you take your foot off the throttle or brake the electric motor switches to being a generator and recharges the battery. So, yes, this is a vehicle with two separate engines able to drive the car separately or together.

2./The Prius is just one more victim of the DLRA's 1950s rules that don't allow for any of the advances in technology that have occurred in the last half century.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

rules from the 1950's

Post by David Leikvold »

Gordon, you're right about the Prius drive train but you're wrong about the DLRA rules. Already we have a new class for utes that suits us more than the SCTA and our rules evolve as we learn more about what makes sense for us and what doesn't. I bet if someone turned up with a Prius with all the required safety gear (rollcage, fire extinguishers, etc) they'd let it run and create a Hybrid class. Why don't you just build something for lakester or streamliner classes where the eligibility rules are wide open and your imagination can really be put to good use?
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

The Prius is just one more victim of the DLRA's 1950s rules that don't allow for any of the advances in technology that have occurred in the last half century.

So I take it you took one to scrutineering and they knocked you back?? Otherwise that would just be speculation, wouldn't it??? Great to have you back Gordy, I got the best laugh from Goggles response
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I knew I remembered something about these little buggers.....

Ran in HYBRID class! Barred from every one of Bonneville's 543 classes, the Toyota Prius creates a new one. Clocked 130.794 mph on the three-mile short course at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, US in 2004.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/8695/sport-got-hybrid.html
Last edited by DLRA on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor