tacho info

Moderator: DLRA

ben james

tacho info

Post by ben james »

does anybody know where i could get a good quality electric tacho from.
my z1000 has a msd mc1 ignition with a tach output terminal. have seen those krober tachos on road racing bikes, but don't know where you get them from. was running a stock z1000j tacho, but it was crap. sent it away to get it calibrated & they reckon it was okay. but it definately wasn't. was wondering about using an oem one off some jap bike, but like stock speedos, they may be alright lower down in their range the're not very accurate up in the higher range.
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Ben any reason you want an extra accurate tach ??
ben james

Post by ben james »

because i don't want to rev the motor over 9000rpm
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Ben if you can still source them you can install an RPM limit module ,RPM module kit part # 8749 this will limit the ignition to 9K rpm , Ben the trouble with using this ancient stuff is that the makers do not support it much beyond 5/6 years if your lucky , question does it turn into a pumpkin if you exceed 9ooo :P
Gary
ben james

Post by ben james »

i've got modules for the rev limiter, so i'll just use a 9000 one to limit the motor, but i just wanted a tacho to measure the wheel spin.
dunno what would happen to the motor after 9000rpm, but i don't want to find out at 9200rpm in top gear on the salt. these old kwacka j motors are 27 years old.
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
David Leikvold

digital?

Post by David Leikvold »

I'm a bit out of my depth here but would a digital readout be more reliable than a wobbly needle? You'd only have to look at the first two numbers to get enough of an idea to keep the motor "safe". From memory Jaycar sells them with a 10 grand maximum readout (actually 9999). You'd probably need a small sunshade so you could read it in sunlight. Of course you could always use the old racer trick and turn the original tach in its housing so that 9000 revs meant the needle was vertical. Still doesn't solve the inaccuracy problem but at least it'd be easy to read. And use the rev limiter just to be sure.
I wish I was only 27 years old!
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

puck ben :roll: , them 27 year old motors are built like a brick dunny and will handle high revs, no worries, well anything up to 11,000 on the odd occasion :wink: ,, i used to rev my z1 turboed bikes to about 10200 all the time at the drags :D ,, one of the reasons oem tachs are usless, is because you get streach, ummm, wip in the mechanical cable,, i couldnt make them live on the turboed bike because thay reved so quick, that thay would brake the tach needles off :cry:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ben james

Post by ben james »

hi ronnie, the j motors only use electric tachos, so i might have a look around at some oem ones at he wreckers. i also have a shift light on the bike as well. wanted a good tacho because if the bikes not spinning up to much, i might take it up to 9500 to 10,000. going out to heathcote next weekend just to bed the new rings & then give it a bit of squirt.
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

ben i used "pro cycle" tach (no problems), sorced from mick withers when he was at rockett industries in sydney, (had a magneato for ignition),, i would suggest that you give maurice allen a call at vpw there in melbourne, 8) almost ready to rock an roll huh :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

ben james wrote:hi ronnie, the j motors only use electric tachos, so i might have a look around at some oem ones at he wreckers. i also have a shift light on the bike as well. wanted a good tacho because if the bikes not spinning up to much, i might take it up to 9500 to 10,000. going out to heathcote next weekend just to bed the new rings & then give it a bit of squirt.

I'll see you there Ben, few of us going for a last blast before the boxing day meet.
ben james

Post by ben james »

unreal greg, will be there about 9.30am
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Jim Ashcroft

Post by Jim Ashcroft »

Ben, I ran an MC1 on a ZX10 in 1992. Easy way to see if the tach works or not is simply disconnect the MSD and run oem. The tach output terminal on the MSD combines both input signals so alot of tachs will read double. If this is the case unplug it from the terminal and join it to either the WHITE or GREEN wire that goes from your pickups into the MC1.
If the tach just goes all over the place it might be affected by the RF. Check out the tach wiring is well clear of any HT leads, coils etc.
I've still got the original instructions for the MC1, which I can send you a copy if you like.

Cheers...... Jim
Don Hudson

Post by Don Hudson »

http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html

I'd like one of these.
417 AA/FCC 91 Olds NASCAR