Who designed this rubbish ?

Moderator: DLRA

David Leikvold

tell 'im e's dreamin'

Post by David Leikvold »

With forged internals the 3VZFE can easily get 600hp, even with standard internals it is good for 350hp. All I need is some boost and a good intercooler. The forged goodies come later, much later, or maybe never.
Bob told me at Don's last meeting that my car has to have the 25% engine setback to qualify for Competition Coupe, which is clearly impossible and not what the rules as written say but if that's the way they're interpreted I'm out before I start. That's why I haven't updated my progress thread for so long, I can't get interested in working on a car they won't let me run for speed. Bob said I could only run for time. I'll soon submit an application to make front wheel drive cars exempt from that rule, hopefully I'll get a favourable ruling. The trouble is the rules were written a long time ago by Americans who never imagined that a front wheel drive car would ever be on the salt. Because I work with legislation every day I find it terribly frustrating trying to build a car to rules that are ambiguous, vague, confusing and at times just plain contradictory. I'd be happy to volunteer to tidy them up so the intention of each rule is obvious to all. It would certainly make class eligibility decisions easier and fairer. :(
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

Much more modern than the HR, the VT commondoor has a modernised Opel box, by Getrag. Infinitely breakable, cannot be easily or economically repaired. Also, the rear suspension is not adjustable, so the negative camber shreds the inner shoulders. Not enough room to feel that far so you feel the outer wall, plenty there. Should have been a Mandatory recall but not so.
Stephen
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Ya can so shag in a mini - when you're 18 and athletically bendy. And what 18 y.o. wouldn't do just about anything for sex.

One thing the mighty 1100 with Cooper body kit ($80 - bumpers and slightly broken badges - ask no questions) couldn't do was make it up the hill between girlfriend's part of Lillydale and the old's place. Had to roll back down and tackle in reverse three or four times a week. Purple velvet head lining started to sag about the same time the Hydro-suspension gave out. Priorities being what they were, I spent two pay packets getting that head lining in order. Anyway Faux Cooper looked great dropped on it's guts. Remember getting your pay in a yellow envelope. A few notes... and thirty seven cents.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

A bloke I used to know destroyed 8 Cooper S gearboxes in 8 weekends, rollbacks were his go. He would steal one, r&r drivetrain. The last he stole had a different speedo in it and went like the clappers. He did rollbacks for weeks with that drivetrain in it, no probs, but the group was forever moving the rolling shell from one hiding place to another. I lost track of them years ago and don't know if the highway patrol ever got the car back, or where those blokes are. I also don't know why that gearbox stood up like it did.
Stephen
Dr Goggles

Mini

Post by Dr Goggles »

Had a neat 440 'tina that came from Grumm for a while and when getting bits for it once my wrecker told how he'd been near Kilmore with a mate in a near new GT Corty sitting on a hundred when they saw lights approaching from behind, they kept going , the lights got closer and closer and eventually passed them......four guys in a mini......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

rub and hooters, I mean , Hubs and rotors

Post by Dr Goggles »

went in for the whole hog on the front discs on the HR over the weekend. Now , it's not the first time I have done this job on an HR front end, not wanting to revisit it in 12 months I bought a caliper kit, rotors and pads....now the interesting part is that if my brain/memory was working properly I would have also bought a full set of the countersunk machine screws that bolt the hubs to the rotors...... The first one I tried to take out twisted my (at that point) unused socket drive allen head, because I didn't have a gas axe to kill the ( no not just loctite) studlock that the last anal retentive who did a brake job put there. so , machine screw half in half out ...twisted allen key.

at that point I had a revelation ...that's why they have church on sundays......BECAUSE NONE OF THE REAL TOOL SHOPS ARE OPEN AND THERE'S F*** ALL ELSE TO DO......

Ok, I thought I'll just gingerly screw that back in and plan the assault for another day. Well , of course you all know that the allenkey almost straightened up as the screw head stripped ...with it still half an inch out.......bewdy, I need the car to get to work in the morning , It's drill time.............

Are drill-bits rooted when they are blue on the end?

You know those jobs that you do on the car thinking "yeah no-worries , done it before"....then at some point you're looking at it and you think...." ah, I remember this bit ,this is the part .....WHERE I ALWAYS F*** IT UP"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :shock:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
nitro-nige

Re: tell 'im e's dreamin'

Post by nitro-nige »

David Leikvold wrote:Bob told me at Don's last meeting that my car has to have the 25% engine setback to qualify for Competition Coupe, which is clearly impossible and not what the rules as written say but if that's the way they're interpreted I'm out before I start. :(

According to the rules on the DLRA website;

Competition Coupe & Sedan: /BFCC, /FCC, /BGCC, /GCC
Production coupe or sedan body unaltered in width or contour. Streamlining ahead of and including the cowl, channeling, belly pans and skirts and spoilers as defined in section IV-24 h) are permitted. One of the following modifications must be done to be considered in this class:
1) Top must be chopped;
2) It must have a full belly pan;
3) Body from the cowl forward must be lengthened a minimum of 12"; and
4) Engine must be set back a minimum of 25%.

So I interpret that to mean you could leave the engine where it is so long as you chop the top or fit a belly pan (go on do both) or streamline the front (not too easy on a celica but I'm sure you're up for a challenge).
David Leikvold

all better

Post by David Leikvold »

Nige, you're right the rules do say what you're saying. We resolved that dilemma a long time ago on another thread somewhere. The confusion occurred because of the typing of capitals in the engine setback rule in the hard copy of the 2006 DLRA rule book. Now if only I can get the roof chop rules amended to once again include to the SCTA original I'll be very happy and so will Bob Ellis, whose car was built to the SCTA rule. And so will Chris Hanlon who wants to build a CC with a sensible roof chop. See my Roof Chop Rules thread elsewhere (QTA section I believe) for more detail. Bob, I'll PM you a rule change submission very soon to get the ball rolling.
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

So does that mean you're back building again?
Belly pan? Top chop?
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Belly pan? Top chop?

I think Dave's already got both, just not on the car...... :D
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Paul, the belly is getting smaller and so is the area the monastery haircut covers :wink: Nige, no is the short answer for the moment. I have more pressing matters to attend to for now, but maybe in a few months I'll be able to start again, assuming of course that the jungle in the backyard will let me near the Celica. The car will have a chopped top and a belly pan. Thanks to Spook and some other friends I haven't met yet I am inspired to do a first class job of the build so it could still be years away from finished. I had to chuckle when that photo of the car popped up recently. The site is much tidier than in that photo but the tarp is in a bad way and the car is covered in dust. Doesn't matter, I'll have plenty of time next year. Not sure about the money :(
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dave, maybe Trevor has a few square feet to spare? That would improve the photos.....?
grumm441

Re: Mini

Post by grumm441 »

Dr Goggles wrote:Had a neat 440 'tina that came from Grumm for a while and when getting bits for it once my wrecker told how he'd been near Kilmore with a mate in a near new GT Corty sitting on a hundred when they saw lights approaching from behind, they kept going , the lights got closer and closer and eventually passed them......four guys in a mini......

I remember the day when i came round to your place just after you had painted the cortina, and asked.....
They make it
I make it work
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

grumm441 wrote:
Dr Goggles wrote:Had a neat 440 'tina that came from Grumm for a while and when getting bits for it once my wrecker told how he'd been near Kilmore with a mate in a near new GT Corty sitting on a hundred when they saw lights approaching from behind, they kept going , the lights got closer and closer and eventually passed them......four guys in a mini......

I remember the day when i came round to your place just after you had painted the cortina, and asked.....

for the wider audience :
I bought the Corty from Grumm for my ex, and got into painting it , ...a mate saw it and after I mentioned that I hadn't got around to paying Grumm for it said " holy shit , you'd better pay him before he sees it because he's gonna want it back!"

hey but what about the neat little "cold air intake" I made for it.....it added about .100 horsepower I reckon :wink:
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

The venerable old Mini. I had one of those for about 10 years . 1100 Mini K van. Stock at first . Then came the Cooper S head and twin carbs on the small block and the Cooper S diff. Stock cam. That was good for about 105 mph . Then busted the crank. :cry: :cry:
Then came the 1275 cc 1100S motor . Same everything else except now had 12" wheels on it. Also stock cam. That went 115 mph (by tacho) one Xmas day many moons ago. 8) 8) 8) . Yes they were simpler times back then.
fredeuce