Final Track Layout for 2010

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Final Track Layout for 2010

Post by DLRA »

Well here it is.
It's not a very good scan but I'm sure you'd rather see this then wait even longer for me to play with it more.
As you can see the whole track has been moved a lot closer to the canteen.
The second (Short) track is very faint, but you can see it between the pits and the return road.
I will do a version plotted out on Google maps in the coming weeks and that will hopefully make it a lot clearer and easier to understand.
Another feature of this layout is the test tract is only one way and uses the return road. The more I look at it the more I like it.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Greg, dont know who designed this, but why do we suddenly have 3 miles of run up & only 2 miles of timed section ? The majority of vehicles need only 2 miles run up, so they will be taking it easy for the first mile, thus wasting valuable time. this has shot the idea of saving time in the foot. Starting at 0 will be a problem as history shows this section of lake becoming wet by mid afternoon. Also, I hope the designer has taken into account gutters ,creeks & other lake conditions , as the current layout makes use of the best section of salt. I trust that my 19 years experience inspecting the lake, setting up the track, & operating timing equipment allows me to make these observations. Pete. DLRA #6
Last edited by OLDtimer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Here is my suggestion ... Start both courses where the 1 mile markers are . Extend the long course back to 3 timed miles ( basically this is our original course ). Short course , 2 miles with 1 mile slow down should be plenty for vehicles under 175 mph ( if its not , then change the gearing ) . As short course is only timed by GPS ( instantaneous speed reading ) , and there wont be a timed 1/4 or 1 mile . From memory El Mirage is only 1.3 mile Muroc 1.5 and the Maxton Mile . So 2 mile short course is the way . From my experience , (around 20 runs ) I was always at max speed before 2 miles .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I like the start at the one mile option also (long course) , my little baby would be happy with one mile run up and 1 timed mile, but I realise that would not be a common requirement. (damn, I olny made it 200 mtrs from the start last time :cry:
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Rob

Post by Rob »

Not to complain about work already done and time spent... well done there.

Only one turnout on the long course will slow timed run numbers significantly.

There were two turn outs last March and a third earlier one was needed for the slower classes to leave the course earlier and speed the number of runs rather than wait for them to get to the first available turn out.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
penny

Post by penny »

the one way test track is a brilliant idea and should virtually run itself with common sense from entrants and free up volunteers for jobs elsewhere.a day at the canteen with refreshments will be spectacular and entertaining,kinda like benchracing with racing. paul penny
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Rob, I will be there on the Thursday to set up, & will make sure there are more turn offs. Pete. DLRA #6
Rob

Post by Rob »

No worries Pete,

I am still hoping to get there early to help setup but do not yet have the renovation dates for work and cannot commit until I have those.

If they actually clash with speedweek I will not be a happy chappy.

Cheers,
Rob
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

The 0 is the old 1 , trying to reduce the confusion and i think you will find there will be more than 1 turnout
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Greg Watters wrote:The 0 is the old 1 , trying to reduce the confusion

The 0 is still the original 0 . We have been starting at the 1 , and I believe we should still start at the 1 . I figure we should a long course with 2 mile run up ( not 3 miles as proposed )then 3 timed miles , just as we normally run . Short gps course should be 2 miles .
Could somebody from the new committee that was formed to implement running 2 x courses please come on board to clarify .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Rob Carroll

Post by Rob Carroll »

After talking to Lionel West (who drew this plan), as far as I can understand the 0 mile mark will be in the same gps position as it previously was. The 8 mile mark has been moved to the west some, and the track realigned to it. At this time cannot say how much it has been moved as have not seen any coordinates. (Don't know if they know what the coordinates are).Their idea is to move the track to the west to make room for the gps track. The plan above was supplied to Greg some time ago and I feel it should be open to some adjustment. As Oldtimer says the 0 to 1 mile section can often be wet and this is the reason we moved the start line to the 1 mile (and the fact most competitors are approaching full speed after two miles, not needing three). The other points Oldtimer makes are very relevant as well.
Two miles of gps course should be plenty as Don Noble suggests. Remember that at past meetings you need to run 175 in the Quarter to qualify for the long course. The gps track is for up to 170 MPH so why must we have 3 miles?
Rob, As Oldtimer said there will be more than one turnout, they just have not shown them on the plan.
To make every competitor on the timed track travel an extra mile will result in extra track time for each run, therefore canceling any gain we may achieve by going to the extra work and expense of setting up two tracks.
And when the Surveyors are on the lake to plot the track we will position the track in the most suitable (read that as driest) position to get the best possible surface for racing.
Rob Carroll President DLRA #12
penny

Post by penny »

the plan maynot be to scale as such.you would think that if we move the pits back to the front of the canteen then the timing van would then be infront of the pits so racers can view the racing proper.the plan that i have viewed at the sa meeting i think had these details clarified . paul penny
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

GDAY and thanks Rob Carroll , and thanks to everybody for constructive criticisms , it goes to help make a better event .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Rob

Post by Rob »

DON NOBLE wrote:GDAY and thanks Rob Carroll , and thanks to everybody for constructive criticisms , it goes to help make a better event .

Amen to that, well done guys.
Cookey

"The gps track is for up to 170 MPH"

Post by Cookey »

There will have to be some consideration given to having a cut off point on the short course where the competitor must "Lift Im Foot" so as not to find ones self in deep sh*t when one finds that there is no braking area left :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The license pass speeds are currently set at 125 MPH for your category D, 150 MPH for category C & 175 MPH for your B license.
An observed chute release is mandatory for cars capable of running over 175 MPH and wishing to run the long course with a speed of over 200 MPH qualifying the driver for an A class license.

Why are we proposing to run up to 170 MPH on the short course when this is supposed to be a means to get drivers/riders qualified quicker and therefore I see no sense or reason that the speed be set so high :?: :?: :?: :?:

My belief is that should a competitor attain their B class license on the short course their next run would logically be on the long or timed course.
We will als be conducting licensing runs on the main course during the early part of Speedweek and when deemed appropriate.

We need to have the operating procedure for the short course decided upon as soon as possible and a comprehensive set of notes compiled for all entrants that can either be sent out with pre entry confirmation and or made available at race registration so we all know what is happening on the day.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363