Help with rules please

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

maxwaterline

Help with rules please

Post by maxwaterline »

Posted this in General Information but no luck, maybe this is a better place.

Ok, here goes, does general rule 3.20 re air duct apply to lakesters?

Does rule 3.1 limit vintage engines, X series & V4, to American and Australian engines? If so, does this mean vintage foreign has no specific class or they run as per size categories AA to K?

What class would a unmodified Alfa Romeo 105 series coupe, early 60s to 1974, run in? Does have 2 rear seats yet not sure if could be described as suitable for continued adult occupancy.

Re motorcycles, is the only place for car derived engines in UG or UF?

Do the displacement classes in 7.D.3 still apply to UF and UG engines?

Thats probably enough for now.

Regards Adrian
Member #929
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Spoke to Bob about this the other day he was reluctant to respond because the questions cover several different types of bikes and cars. He suggested giving a brief run down of what type of vehicle you were wanting to build before specifics could be discussed.
Judging by your questions your wanting to run a European vintage engined, stock bodied Alfa Romeo? Or you want to stick your Alfa engine is a motor bike frame?

does general rule 3.20 re air duct apply to lakesters?

The rules are written in such a way that unless it is explicitly forbidden it's acceptable. eg. No air ducts for PRO and GT classes.

Does rule 3.1 limit vintage engines, X series & V4, to American and Australian engines? If so, does this mean vintage foreign has no specific class or they run as per size categories AA to K?

"Foreign engines are NOT included."

"Vintage Four (V4) class consists of any pre-1935 American-made four cylinder automotive production engine, up to 220 cid. Specialty heads are allowed."

You would be running AA to K.

What class would a unmodified Alfa Romeo 105 series coupe, early 60s to 1974, run in? Does have 2 rear seats yet not sure if could be described as suitable for continued adult occupancy.

G/GT

G - 1.51 to 2.00 L
GT = Series production sports cars and coupes

Re motorcycles, is the only place for car derived engines in UG or UF?

I'll say yes, unless you can be more specific. I can't think of an example where this does not apply.

Do the displacement classes in 7.D.3 still apply to UF and UG engines?

Yes.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
maxwaterline

Post by maxwaterline »

Many thanks Webmaster! Was thinking about what to run/modify/build. Have some old motorcycles and a 1974 Alfa Romeo neglected in the back yard and lots of ideas and would really like to build a lakester. So thats the reason for the seemingly disjointed questions. Probably should have stated this upfront, just a bit shy I guess. Just trying to crystalise some concepts/ideas. I was reasonably sure of the answers but did want to check my understanding, would rather have the tears now than later.

Maybe another question if you dont mind, as I understand it, the pushrod classification only applies to motorcycle engines or engines made up of motorcycle parts. An engine made up of automotive parts would be in UG or UF, regardless of being pushrod or OHC.

Regards

Adrian
Member #929
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

max , you seem a bit confused as to what to build , but here goes.

3.20 Air Duct . can't see why you'd need them in a lakester (more for a full bodied car) , but as lakesters are in special construction.........."Innovation is unlimited"....... can't see why not.

3.1 no foriegn engines. Open to pre ' 49 bodies (eg FX Holden - FJ as same body) Other than vintage , you would have to go another class and your engine size would be AA-K.

I would classify your Alpha as /GT (Gran Touring Sport).

Motor Cycle questions are Gary Bakers Dept , but as i see it the UG & UF would be as stated.

Cheers , Bob.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Greg ya beat me !! Took so long to do my post I got overtaken by a faster typer!!
maxwaterline

Post by maxwaterline »

Many thanks Bob, 2010 was my first time at the salt and the head is still spinning a bit, got another big project to finish first (28' wood sailing boat, just a rejigging of the salt/water/speed ratio :) . In the meantime I can start gathering info/parts/stuff, lakester would be first choice, but very aware of size of project. The questions were based around what I have, preferences, etc.

Kind regards Adrian
Member #929