Return & Fire Roads

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Return & Fire Roads

Post by Rob »

I was thinking about "stuff" today and one thing that crossed my mind was..

With our new wireless timing gear, is it possible to have fire crews on one side of the track and the chase/return road on the other? This would eliminate returning cars crossing the end of the GPS track and possibly stop errant drivers running the wrong way down the fire/rescue road.

Either way I figure it was a thought worth sharing.

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Rob Carroll

Re: Return & Fire Roads

Post by Rob Carroll »

Rob, Realstan alerted me to your post and I am replying because he has a problem with his computer. I feel we would need to have a good long think about letting vehicles travel on the west side of the track. I for one would be very concerned about our new (VERY EXPENSIVE) timing equipment, as some of it will be set back a small distance from the edge of the track and if push car crews don't watch out for it they could run over it. Some people may also think they can stop by the timing van for a quick chat, thats also not a good idea. Would also have to scrape another track which takes time. Not sure what you mean about competitors not having to return past the end of the GPS track. But it needs to be discussed at a meeting, someone may have different ideas about it. It all might depend on which vehicles are on which side of the track.
Rob
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I also thought that it was discussed at one of the meetings this year to have the first return road for the long/short course passing around the back of Alcatraz. That way the GPS course finishes before Alcatraz and all return traffic comes back with a physical seperator (the island).

Lynchy
momec2

Post by momec2 »

Rob and all.
What we need this year is an effective road for push/pickup cars between the pits and the fire/rescue track. As Lynchy said it also needs to go totally around Alcatraz to avoid the GPS track. Going by the distances the SCTA use as safe between roads we seem to have about a triple that so we should have enough room to do it all on one side with room to spare. This may mean slightly reducing what we dictate as a safe distance and this can then increase as the race track passes Alcatraz.

Chris
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

The reason for the short shutdown area etc last year was due to limited good dry surfaces to use. We set the tracks & return roads up in a hurry using what available lake we had. This year hopefully will be different, fingers crossed. Pete. DLRA #6.
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

FINELY im back on line :D
All recovery/push cars were to use the return road witch went around the back of Alcatraz.
the only time a bike/car were close to the GPS track was the sort course turn out.this was why the GPS track had a particular shut down area,
witch was explained at the driver/rider meeting.but as normal not all listen.
this year there is NO WARM UP TRACK so all recovery cars can travel around the back of the pits.
And remember ALL RECOVERY CARS MUST HAVE a UHF radio FLASHING light FIRE extinguisher & SPILL kit,witch may be scrutinized this year.
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Stan,
Further to the push/retrieval vehicles having to have a UHF radio, I believe it has been discussed and a $50 Dick Smith handheld is not considered a suitable radio. :oops: Vehicles need to be fitted with a full 5 watt radio preferrably with an external antenna. :idea:
This is my understanding from discussions, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :shock:
Cheers,
Trevor :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sorry guys,

Didn't mean to hit and run but have been somewhat busy at the in laws place and will be happy to see it gone.

Am glad the post at least sparked some more thoughts and ideas and I'm with Trev on the 5W radio. The cheapy hand helds don't cut it over distance.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec2

Post by momec2 »

Stan

Its a bloody long way round and unnessasary and adds to delays going behind the pits to recover vehicles. Have you guys considered the alternative and if so whats your argument against the direct route?

Chris
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

I will be there with the surveyors & will see that the push car track goes between the pits & timed track. This will cut delays & as there should only be one vehicle on it at a time,I can see no safety issues. Hopefully there will be more good salt to work with this year, so the GPS track can start further south, thus giving it a longer shut down area without such a sharp turn at the end. Pete. DLRA #6.
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

Chris

The biggest delays came when the the fire crew would call on the UHF to the recovery car to let them now were there race bike/car was,& would get no
response.(NO UHF OR A UNSATISFACTORY ONE.)There was also the problem with the GPS track & southern rescue policing 2 tracks within the same area
& the safety issue of a recovery car to close to the GPS track.Safety is the main issue. After all the rain Pete Noy Bob Ellis & myself had the hard job of shuffling
the whole track set up around.and i think we done a good job at short notice,with what we had to work with.so i think its a bit critical on us.At
the committee meeting on the 12/1/11 the track set was one of the topics on the agenda.So there is more to come on the track set up.
The other agenda was the recovery cars,from the discussion when your car or bike is scrutineerd so will ya push car,for a fixed UHF,flashing light Spill kit
fire extinguisher Tyres & Brakes.
STAN.#744

OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Stan, the committee members won't be there when the tracks are being set up (as usual), so it will be up to us to make the final decisions, & there is no reason why the recovery road can't go between the pits & timed track, in fact it will be much safer that way, as it will not cross the road to the startline / ramp. Pete DLRA#6.
momec2

Post by momec2 »

Yes Stan I hoped it was constructive critisim, I drove the tractor following Bob last year setting out the tracks and am well aware of the problems we had.
I think we are all on the same track now, was just trying to clarify things.

Thanks Chris
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

OLDtimer wrote:Stan, the committee members won't be there when the tracks are being set up (as usual),
I'll be there Pete.. :D
STAN.#744

gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I agree that Stan , Bob and Pete did a fantastic job of relocating the track(s) last year, on such short notice,
I don't feel the above discussion should be considered as negative in regards to the 2010 event ( the alternative would have been NO RACING after all.)
I also think it is good for these issues to be discussed openly , it helps those who live in more remote areas to keep up with any changes ,
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering