New Rule Book

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

BIG GAZ

Re: New Rule Book

Post by BIG GAZ »

How do we have a rule book that has different classes and requirements for different events at different venues. Will there be records recorded? The SCTA book does have allowance for different venues eg El Mirage but the classes and safety is exactly the same as Bonneville. It might get boring have 200 street cars turn up with a 125mph limit. Do we want the $$?
I am more than willing to discuss it with the members to get their feelings at the next meeting if you would like to put it on the agenda. I see it as problematic but not insumountable.
GAZ
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Both arguments have merit.

There are some cars that can dish up lethal speeds for which their safety gear ( don't even start Gordon :roll: ) is not sufficient. The potential for an over-enthusiastic Wally to take his Chubbman or Typhoid 6 out there to "see what she'll do" and come unstuck is very real. Having said that limiting it to 125mph/200km'h would mean that any genuine Kamikaze pilots would be discouraged, or banned.

Chris's point about having them along as paying entrants is hard to ignore...... I feel setting a limit that is over the ton but below the upper limit of serious performance cars would be the wise thing to do.Current rego and even a pink slip could be an idea...........otherwise you run the risk of having an upset in an illegal car, that would be a problem for all involved.

There's been a lot of p'ing and m'ing about how "no manufacturer would build an unsafe car"..... I'm not even going to start on it...

Racing, is for race cars, but if you want to drive your family-car on a race track sure! but there'll be a speed limit, and a few checks first.

The Hyabusa comment is valid too it's just that the leap between "street legal" and complying with the DLRA rules is a lot less than it is for cars......it's defacto Street Class( no disrespect to the genuine racers).....and the club gets an entry fee from them.......and despite what the car guys say those entries are pretty good money for value to the club.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Maybe we should start a new topic in another area of the forum so everyone can have an input and leave this just for rulebook stuff. I am sure there is going to be a bit of 'banter'!
GAZ
momec3

Post by momec3 »

BIG GAZ wrote:How do we have a rule book that has different classes and requirements for different events at different venues. Will there be records recorded? The SCTA book does have allowance for different venues eg El Mirage but the classes and safety is exactly the same as Bonneville. It might get boring have 200 street cars turn up with a 125mph limit. Do we want the $$?
I am more than willing to discuss it with the members to get their feelings at the next meeting if you would like to put it on the agenda. I see it as problematic but not insumountable.
GAZ
We had the street class up until about 2006 with no problems, never an issue. 125mph limit is the key to controling it. There are no records for the class, that is another incentive for them to come back with a real race car.
We already have boring with street bikes if you want to view it that way. I have no problem with that because each entrant is there for there own reasons. We run these events for the competitors, not the spectators.
As far as financing Bilpa Morea, if the members are happy to subsidise the running of a maiden event out of club coffeers and don't care if it breaks even or not then thats fine.
If the members would like the event to put its best effort to run in the black well I think this would certainly help.

Yes Gaz if you can pop it on the agenda. That would give me a gauge as to feeling on the idea and help with planning this event. This is just my opinion and we are a club. I have sent Carol a rundown on Bilpa and some info and photos etc which she will present at the meeting.
I'll hop of my soap box now. Thanks for listening. :)
Chris
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Shoot just saw your reply Gaz.
Good point.
GW might be able to shift it perhaps
Chris
penny

the claypan

Post by penny »

quote ...As far as financing Bilpea Morea, if the members are happy to subsidise the running of a maiden event out of club coffers and dont care if it breaks even or not then thats fine .........
Sorry chris but where did the club come into putting money in for this meeting. paul penny
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Paul
That, at this very early stage is a question, not a statement.

Its yet to be attained if the club even want to run an event at Bilpa. Thats one reason the idea of this event has been introduced for discussion both here and at our coming meeting. Without people researching, putting the costs and viability together the club will have nothing to base a desision on.

As I have stated clearly before without majority support from the club it won't happen.
Its very easy to say "its too hard for me" and do nothing. We could have said that in the early days at Lake G.

Chris
Chris
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Street class was scrapped because, unfortunately, people can not trusted to stick to the 125mph limit. Once they have found out how fast their car will go, some won't be seen again, so they don't care about our limits. If they come unstuck in a big way whilst doing this, it will come back on the club. Apart from this, we now have relatively quick turnarounds between runs, & you can kiss that goodbye with a line up street cars on the grid. Racing is for race cars, particularly when it comes to safety. Pete. DLRA #6.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

We can discuss the street car class at the meeting. If we did have a 125mph limit and a Wally exceeded it then it would be simple to not disclose the speed to the driver and make him go home without a time card. All he would have to rely on would be his speedo if he had time to look at it.
Anyway, I have finished the 2012 rule book and Greg has posted it on the website for all to download free of charge! Even the yanks don't have that ability. Many thanks to Dan Warner of the SCTA though. Please see the rule change procedure at the end of the book so we can get any proposed changes underway for the 2013 rule book.
Gaz
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Book won't download.
Acrobat reader flashes then goes to blank page.
Any body else having this problem.
Cheers Ross
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Hi Ross,
Mine downloaded and printed out OK- thanks to Gaz, Greg (and anyone else who helped in the process)
Regards,Denis
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Downloaded OK for me as well.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

time for a new computer Ross!
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

ALL GOOD !
Had to update reader from version 3.1
Then the stinkin printer ran out of ink at page 19 :roll:

Greg and Gary , Thanks for the work and effort put into the release of the "Good Book"

RULE : 7.H.18 came as no surprise (expect a note from me mum :wink: )
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Ross,
I understand your concern re 7.H.18. The mandate that I had was that we adopt the 2011 SCTA Rule Book and I stuck to that except for the obvious changes necessary. It is up to the Rules Committee to accept petitions to change the rules and recomend these changes to the DLRA Committee.
At the back of the rule book is the rule change procedure and form and I would welcome you (or anyone else) to submit a petition to change any of the existing rules. The sooner we get the forms submitted then the sooner we can act on them. I look forward to your submission. Remember there is a meeting on the 5th June where I could have it discussed.
GAZ