DLRA
Site Admin

DLRA SPEED TIMES ISSUE 25 - April 2005

Post by DLRA »

DLRA SPEED TIMES ISSUE 25 - April 2005

On the Cover
300MPH BARRIER BROKEN!
Congratulations John Lynch

Greg Watters - 223MPH on a stock Frame bike!

Ray Charlton Fastest Roadster

Contents
Cover ? 2005 Speed Trials Logo 1
Newsletter Sponsors 2
Contents 3
Presidents Report 4
Chief Stewards Report 4
Rods Rambling's 5
DLRA AGM Minutes 6
DLRA General Meeting Minutes 6
Plain English by Animal 7
Interview with John Lynch 8
Gnome Racing 9
Letter from Dave Dooley 11
Speed Trials Photos 11
Newsletter Sponsors 17

On the cover; One very happy bloke.
Next door; under the bonnet of the #044 Mark Hadfield Mustang

President Rob Carroll Ph/Fax 03 5472 4370
Vice President John Lynch
Secretary Rod Hadfield
Treasurer Rod Hadfield
Chief Steward John Dawson
Motorcycle Steward Gary Baker
Race Director Kevin Saville / Rob Carroll
Starter Cled Davies
Assistant Starter Chris Hanlon
Timer Peter Noy
Assistant Timer Eric Smith
Scrutineer Phil Arnold
1st Assistant Scrutineer Lennie Souter
2nd Assistant Scrutineer Steve Charlton

DLRA
PO Box 349 Castlemaine VIC 3450
Phone: 03 5472 4629 and Fax: 03 5472 4370
http://www.dlra.org.au
info@ dlra.org.au

Presidents Report
Rob Carroll
Well another race meeting over and once again records broken in several classes, probably the record that most will be discussing is the 301 + MPH run by John Lynch in his belly tank. What a great effort!
Unfortunately he broke the engine on the next run, but he was still beside himself with excitement. So congratulations to John and his crew and all the other teams that broke records or increased their own speeds. Once again we had record vehicle and driver entires, as you can see in the results prepared by Peter Noy.

I would like to extend thankyou's to all the officials and helpers, without whom the meeting would not get off the ground. The members who arrive early to set up the camp, organise surveyors and set up the track all do it because the job needs to be done. I was please to see a few extra people arrive early this year to help. We still had some problems with the track set up, but we will try to solve these before next March. The mile marker banners will be changed as well. If you have any feedback on track set up or mile markers, I would be interested in your thoughts by phone or mail. We need more Corflute to make these track markers, so if you have a source for this I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks must also go to the fire and rescue crews and the medics, all of whom donate their time and we need all of them to be there to run a race meeting.

The weather was similar to last year, being very hot Sunday and Monday, rain Tuesday, mild to warm on Wednesday and Thursday and warning up on Friday for the finish of racing and packing up. Wind was a problem with speeds limited to 150MPH on some occasions and motorcycles stopped from running because of the gusty cross winds. Even with all this, many runs were made and by Friday not many still wanted to run.

A General Meeting and Annual Meeting were held on Tuesday night at the camp, the minutes are elsewhere in the newsletter. Wednesday night was again Auction Night and anyone who has ever witnessed this knows that this is a must attend event. Everyone was falling off their chairs laughing from start to finish. Just lucky that Animal had more than one pair of jocks on. Thanks to Animal for being auctioneer again and thanks to all who donated goods for the auction. If you have any outstanding auction money or camp fees, could you please send it in promptly.

Another working bee at our camp has been discussed. Possible dates are early October or between Christmas and New Year. The plan would be to spend 4 or 5 days there for maintenance work, finish the 2nd cool room, icemakers and any other things that need repair. If you are interested in investing some time in making our camp better, call me to let me know which dates you prefer and we choose a date on majority preference.

The new requirements for push cars to have flashing lights, radios etc. seems to have worked well and will be enforced more closely next year.

The TV story by 60 Minutes was well done, although it was more a story on 2 of our teams, than the club. I'm sure it did us no harm as a club.

Congratulations must go to Ray Charlton for taking home the Southern Hot Rod Club "Fastest Roadster" trophy and quite happy to accept it he was. Also congratulations to Greg Watters for his 223MPH run on his Suzuki, which I think is the fastest run ever on a stock frame street bike. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The next General Meeting will be held at Aussie Desert Cooler premises at 350 Murray Road Preston Victoria on July 17July 2005. Start time will be 11:00am.

Chief Stewards report
John Dawson
Well it's over again for another year, but what a meeting we had! First Australian 300 MPH run, congratulations to John Lynch and his hard working multinational crew. Lots of cars and bikes improved times this year and all did it safely. It was sad to not see Lionel and Rod go fast in the "Bronze Aussie", I'm putting my money on them for 2006.

The hard luck award, if there was one this year would have to go to Jason and Nathan in the black Pontiac. After rebuilding the rear end of their car, accident damage on the way in, they took it out and bent some push rods. On the phone got some push rods sent to Adelaide, Mum drove to Adelaide and picked them up, out onto the warm up track sounding great, out to the line and ventilated the block. That's racing! Hard luck guys.

We had some wind again this year, but it didn't affect the meeting greatly. The motorcycle riders were worst affected. For those bike people that did hang around, the sun came out Friday morning and not a breath of wind. So at last the bikies got a good run.

The meeting went off very well and ran smoothly. Thanks to Cled Davies and Trevor Beck for the new system of lights and lanes at the start line. Andy Jenkins looked after the camp administration and was sanitary engineer for the meeting. Thanks very much Andy without you we would be stuffed.

Cars and motorcycles that came through scrutineering were of a very high standard, good to see the extinguisher / shutdown interlock rule being followed.

One new machine that I was very taken with was the Fiat Topolino of Mathew Saunders. To me this car embraces the concept of Lakes Racing. Built on a budget with a swap meet engine, but a way cool look. That machine reminds me of the Pierson Bros Coupe of the sixties. Mathew and his son both did 125 MPH licensing. Terrific effort.

Our AGM went off well with only one change, that being Gary Baker elected to the position of Motorcycle Steward. Congratulations on your new position Gary and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Thanks to everybody who came to the lake, I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Thanks to all who helped set up and pull down.
Thanks very much to Lena nd Joy for having us and providing such wonderful catering for another year.

Rob Carroll has announced the date for our next General Meeting to be held at Aussie Norm's, (check Presidents report) I would like to see as many of you as possible there. Only your input can see your ideas put into place.

See you there.

Rod's Rambling's
Rod Hadfield
Without doubt the last 6 weeks have been the busiest of my life, returning home from the United States, (where I have been setting up a base and campaigning car shows since Christmas) two weeks prior to Lake Gairdner.

We had worked hard to get the salt car ready to go before Christmas, so checks were make, truck and trailer packed and then off. This year was by far the biggest yet with many pre-entries and many phone calls indicating that entries would go to an all time high, with over 100 drivers in the finish. I rang Len and Joy at the station prior to the meeting to warn them to be ready for an approximate 25% increase on the previous year which proved to be correct.

It was a credit to the early arrivals who had things ready to go by Monday, you know who you are, thanks on behalf of everyone. John Dawson and the other scrutineers did a sterling job and many people noted your efforts. Peter and Cled did a top job also (as usual), Andy in the camp had things working and kept the toilets rotating, not the job everybody envies, thanks Andy.

What about John Lynch's run? Congratulations John, well done, thanks to everyone for working with the 60 minutes team, special thanks to President Rob who kept things running and was, as in the past, left to finish the packing up. What a sterling job Joy and Len did at the canteen, I just hope they can continue the quality, variety and price, why would you even consider taking food?

A special thanks to Steve Charlton (Animal), once again in all his roles, he did a top job with the auction raising approximately $5,000.00, if and when everyone pays their bills.

Wasn't it great to see U.S. members, Gail and Al Phillips there, along with Tex Smith and Ron Ceridono (from American Rodder), also new U.S. member Peter Aardema who is considering campaigning a car here next year.

Talking to Len after the meeting, he was quite happy, except for those mindless few who threw cans and bottles from their vehicles along the road requiring people to stop and retrieve them. Plus a few didn't knock the salt from their vehicles when leaving the lake and dropped it along the track and at the canteen, please rectify this in future if you are guilty.

Our team drove all Friday night to get home, a quick clean of the car and truck, unpack and jump into our '32 Roadster to be on "Chainsaw Bob's" Rod Run from Berwick to Southport in Queensland for the Street Rod Nationals. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised to meet up with Bob Ellis and members of his team who had their Falcon on display in one of the pavilions along with a video showing the public what we are about. Well done Bob and thanks for flying the flag for the club.

We also met up with Matthew Saunders there, Matthew has attended many of our members as a spectator. But this year arrived with his own car and although not until Thursday he got all his licensing passes in and his Son also got to steer, so they were happy, their V8 Holden powered Fiat Toppolino is a good looking car and when finished will be a winner. Matthew already has a record in his previously uncontested class.

Back home from the ASRF Nats, Carol is working around the clock getting everything in order, banking, accounts, minutes, memberships (we now have 473 members), letters etc. We received a letter from the Government regarding our Leaded Fuel Passbook system, which they are extending for another 12 months if we wish to apply, so you know which box we ticked there, so keep the fuel book you currently have.

We have found a Dyno strong enough that bolts to the axle flanges off the diff of our Commodore to get some figures on the motor and fuel combination before we pull it down. This machine also measures the rear squat on the car under full power, this will enable us to get parts when I go back to the States if needed. We will return home in July to catch up on all the paperwork and a general meeting before returning in August to attend Bonneville and the U.S. Street Rod Nationals in Kentucky.

My current U.S. phone number is 0011 1 714 936 0074, if you need me to get anything a container will be coming back to Australia at the end of the year.

We have had a committee meeting since the March event and have picked vehicles for next years T Shirts and posters, arranged a mid year general meeting, got the drivers list off to Peter Noy so that certificates can be printed and posted. All our current accounts have been paid, if you have any outstanding money owing please get it into us as soon as possible to make the club financial.

I was a bit disappointed that the 60 minutes program didn't give any recognition on the history of the club, but at least they didn't give any reason for repercussions, which was always the worry.

I sincerely hope that by the time you are reading this that our website and Newsletter Coordinator problems are sorted out, Greg has done a wonderful job over the years and I just wish he could have continued.

DLRA Annual General Meeting
Held At Campsite Lake Gairdner 15.03.05

The meeting was opened at 11pm by Rob Carroll.

Apologies
Fred Nitschke and Peter Noy

Minutes Of Previous Meeting
The previous minutes were read
Moved By: Rob Carroll 2nd: Mark Hadfield

Financial Report
Bank Balance: $984.32
Moved By: Rod Hadfield 2nd: John Lynch

Business Arising from the Minutes
It was agreed that the committee decides on the choice of vehicles to be printed on the 2006 T-shirts.

Election Of Office Bearers
This election was presided over by Eric Norton, all positions were declared vacant and nominations were called for.
President - Rob Carroll was nominated by Bob Ellis and seconded by Russell Mack.
Vice President - John Lynch was nominated by Gary Baker and seconded by Mike Davidson.
Secretary/Treasurer - Rod Hadfield was nominated by Kevin Saville & seconded by Bernie Kelly.
Chief Steward - John Dawson was nominated by Bob Ellis and seconded by John Lynch.
Motorcycle Steward - Gary Baker was nominated by John Dawson & seconded by Cled Davies.
Starter - Cled Davies was nominated by Chris Hanlon and seconded by Denis Boundy.
Assistant Starter - Chris Hanlon was nominated by Cled Davies & seconded by Bernie Kelly
Timer - Peter Noy was nominated by John Lynch and seconded by Doc Murdock.

The President thanked everyone for their attendance, he thanked all Office Bearers, committee members and other assistants for their efforts during the past year and reminded members that their Newsletter subscriptions are now due.

The meeting was then closed.

DLRA General Meeting
Rob Carroll opened the meeting and 49 people registered their name.

Apologies
Fred Nitschke and Peter Noy

Minutes Of Previous Meeting
The previous minutes were tabled as read in the previous newsletter.
Moved By: Mark Hadfield 2nd Wally James

Financial Report
Bank Balance:: $984.32
Moved By: Rod Hadfield 2nd: Bernie Kelly

Business Arising from the Minutes
* Rob Carroll is to book the lake for the next five years events with the Department of Environment and Heritage.
* John Lynch has oil soak up kits for sale at $10.00 a bag.

Inward Correspondance
* Account from Chemloo for Toilet $924.00
* A letter and 50 pens from Regional One Credit Union as sponsorship.

Outward Correspondance
* A letter to Bendigo Bank for Sponsorship

General Business
* A suggestion was put forward regarding the possibility of putting Speedweek date one year ahead on T-Shirts, this was rejected by the meeting.
* All members that have had a change of address were asked to notify the Secretary in writing with full details.
* A discussion was held regarding Press Passes for the ever-increasing media contingent at Speedweek, it was decided that we issue these in 2006.
* Cled Davies asked that the blackboard at the start line needs to be filled in by each entrant and the vehicle must be at the start line when the name is entered on the blackboard. Cled also spoke on queue jumping and that the vehicles must line up in single file. A discussion was held with suggestions of more lines, it was agreed that a new system needs to be put into place for the future and Cled is to look into this. He also asked that crews going to the starting line must wear a coloured vest.
* Rod Hadfield suggested that the warm up track run parallel with the pits instead of the way it is, in case something goes wrong as the present system puts the vehicle heading directly into the pits. It was decided that this be put into place.
* Rob Carroll thanked the Fire and Rescue Service and all officials for their help at the track.
* At the time of this meeting (Tuesday) there were 56 vehicles and 93 drivers entered at the event.
* Rob discussed the track layout and moved that "The track is to be marked from zero to 9 mile instead of the present numbering system". This was seconded by John Lynch.
* Rod congratulated John Lynch on his 301 mph run today, the meeting responded with a round of applause.
* John Dawson, on behalf of Keith Stamp suggested that the club purchase two tents for the purpose of scrutineering and sale of merchandise before next year's event.
* A discussion was held with the need to enforce speed limits in the pits and on the road to the campsite.
* John Dawson suggested that a new class for V8 Touring cars be introduced, it will be called GD/TC and cars are to be engineered as per CAMS rules but must conform to our safety standards.
* Steven Stamp suggested that if a vehicle arrives to race that isn't in a recognised class it will be recorded as "Time Only" not a "Record".
* John Dawson is to investigate the Helmet classifications as soon as possible and he also discussed Fire System Shutdown.
* Fire Rescue asked that people return to the pits in the correct manner.
* John Dawson spoke about oil spills and the use of tarps under every vehicle on the salt.
* Rob Carroll asked that everyone pay their newsletter fees as they are now due.
* Rob reminded everyone that push cars are to travel between the track and the pits, close to the pits, this will be especially required with the warm up track running parallel at the back of the pits. Push cars must keep well clear of the Fire & Rescue Service.
* Len Souter spoke on the problem regarding Greg Wapling resigning from the Website and Newsletter.
* Bob Ellis moved a motion that Greg Wapling be approached about possible help with legal costs and paying him an honorarium to run the website. Seconded by Chris Hanlon.

The meeting closed at 10.55 pm.

Plain English By Animal
Education even I need it. Ya driving along an ya happy. All of a sudden ya forgot how fast ya were going. Well I got told an I hope to remember it but wouldn't have known if I weren't told. So instead of bitchin about it, tell them nicely. If they don't get the hint I will deal with it.

Message to all Members Drivers Team Crews.
You are responsible for all the people you bring into the camp and pits. So have a team meeting and advise them of all points in the regulations ie: speed, alcohol, attitude, pissing on salt and where and when they can walk ie: pictures, filming etc.

Camping on Salt Rules and Regulations
The only people to stay on salt are club security. Special circumstances will be taken into consideration.

Push Cars
Push cars shall only contain people who are needed for the car to run ie: starter, fireman etc. No people to be hanging out of the back while car is being pushed to or from the line.

Film Crews.
We all need them but we still have rules so if they want to do something clear it with security first ie: getting closer to the track, filming on test track, riding in race cars.
No excuses.

Punctures are Problems
Through the years punctures and blow-outs always appear whether a tyre fractures or runs over a bolt or glass. When it happens shit it's fast. The tyre delaminates and the steel belts let go . It cuts into the car like an axe you know. So if anything gets lost or broken report it straight to security. Now you all know.
No excuses.

Thrills and Spills. The Guts of It.
Spins. Take car back to pits. Jack up the car and thoroughly check all tyres for lumps and suspension components for tightness and bent arms. Then get the car re-scrutineered.

Oil spills. Thoroughly clean up and recheck before leaving the lake.

Dyed Type Radiator Coolants Are Now Banned.

Licence Procedures and Acceptances.
125 mph (115-135) 150 mph (140-160) 175 mph (165-180) 200 mph (190-215) 250 mph (240-265)
Parachute pulls carried out every year by all 175 Mph cars and all drivers.

The Gusts of the Pull by Animal
Position car center of track and accelerate to approximately 175 mph through 1/4 and pull shoot under power. Apply brakes and slow car to approximately 25-35 mph as if it's an emergency stop ie: blow up, loss of components, oil leak, fire ect. Pull off track. For normal parachute pull keep driving for approximately 400 metres at 25-35mph and when well clear stop and pack up shoot. Proceed to Licencing.

New Start Line Procedures.
Three line up areas. Two people to run.

All Motorbikes
Cars under 175
Cars 175 +
Long or Short course
Advise Starter.
Short course only.
Can ask for 1 mile extra
Long course.
Parachute Pulls.
Drivers must state License Details

AUTHORISED PEOPLE ONLY ON START LINE
ie: Officials and Immediate Crews only

START LINE

Starter's helper to read board and place witches hat in the front of the next car up. Direct drivers to belt up. Check driver is wearing appropriate safety gear and no foreign objects are left in the car.
Starter to direct driver to line. Ask for class numbers and explain rules and meanings ie: short course, long course, licence pass, parachute pull etc. Then advise timer of class and driver intentions. Check belts, pull pins and when cleared send them on their way.

The Reason Why
To race on the best salt in the world and to see some of the fastest cars and bikes in my front yard (as I'm on holiday for the other 351 days of the year) So in the end it's like this....... Don't piss in my yard.

See Ya Oil in 2006.

Interview with John Lynch
Firstly John congratulations on achieving the 300MPH mark and thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions for us.
Thankyou, it is great that others do appreciate all the effort my blokes and I have put into achieve this you must also consider that it was done without any Nitro which would be quite legal.

I suppose the question that everyone must ask is, how does it feel to be going 300MPH and when did you know that you had attained this new record?
How does it feel to drive at 300mph, well really any run over 250 feels dam good and to be honest that particular run was less scary than some Ive had. The latest improvements we have done to the car seem to have really done the trick also the track was excellent.

As on any run I never know for sure how fast I went until the fire guys tell me, I get some idea by revs but for example when I ran 297 a couple of years back we were losing 1000rpm due to wheel spin.

When did you first get interested in cars and speed and what sparked your fascination with the salt?
When did I first get interested, as a kid I always dreamt of getting on a long beach on a motorcycle thinking that if I had lots of space I could just keep going faster and faster. We know now that's not right, but that's how long I've had the need for speed. I only missed the very first meeting and have been to every other Lake Gairdner speed meet, I didn't participate until 94 when Rex and I ran a late model Statesman, it wasn't my style but it was fun and we got around 150 out of it. The following 12 months were spent building my belly tank replica with the talents and help of a number of local blokes.

Many competitors come from other motor sports to run on the salt, but few reach the speeds their vehicles are capable of on the track, what makes it so hard to go fast on the salt? Also what do you think of the future for salt lakes racing in Australia?
Salt lake speed trials I believe apart from being the last frontier of amateur motor sport are unique and although you have virtually unlimited distance you have a surface that is nothing like asphalt and remember it boils down to a fight between the tyres and the air.

After this years meeting which appeared to be the biggest we have had and with all the publicity we have got since I worry a little that our sport may grow too big and lose its unique qualities that make it so good now. There is a place for anyone who wishes to take part and any who participate would do their upmost to help another who wants to.

Can you give us some details about the belly tank?
The car up to now still runs the remains of the old welded up Keith Black block and crank that it had in 1995 although I do have a later block that's seen less repairs and a new crank. The blower (10/71) was replaced 3 years ago is good and the heads will see more action I'm sure .The new Clutch I ran this year looks perfect but the B+J trans failed me on my last run .I plan to pull it down soon to try to work out what went wrong

The space frame chassis built of renolds tube still runs the Robbo built front axle and transverse spring ala hot rod and no brakes, the rear end is a 9in Ford 2.47 rotated around so the pinion is on top pointing backwards, we then fabricated the CYNCH Q/Change with the tail shaft coming in under the axle tube, its sprung on torsion bars from a sprint car. The aluminium body was hand built by Mark Rye in Chewton just outside Castlemaine, he is often called on to do repairs or changes as required.

In your celebratory speech after having set the new record you made mention of your team and how much they meant to you, can you tell us some more about them?
One of the most important reasons I got to do 301 has got to be my team of helpers none of whom really do any particular job but together get all the jobs done.

Graham "Robbo" Robinson a diesel mechanic by trade who has been building hot rod chassis and components for many years from his Sydney home as Hi Quality Hot Rods

PJ and Bart Clara from Narre Warren outside Melb both are mechanics and hotrodders. Pete has been my friend since I worked with him as an apprentice in 1970. Bart is his son despite being a Kiwi the little shit is all right.

John Marshall flies over most years to mainly drink my bourbon but apart from that we would be lost without him, he has been my friend since I spent 12 months in NZ about 1974.
Roger (FROG) Hancock also a kiwi hotrodder drags himself from his street rodding activities every year to come down and cook for us now that is really trusting an important job to a Kiwi.

Rex Nesbit the other Castlemaine guy the only one who usually helps me get the car together through the year a toolmaker by trade he also does refrigeration and works @ the local prison
Eddie Ford we really just bring him for entertainment, but hes a good bugger

Now that you have achieved the magic 300 what plans do you have for next year?
Next Year, well I always said when I got 300 I'd go to a different class but well I reckon there's still a bit in the old girl and besides I got that new crank and unblown don't sound so good.

Besides someone's got to keep Haddie honest.

Thanks John and good luck for the future.

GNOME RACING
Over the past couple of years Gnome Racing has been planning to replace the 202 with more cubes. With this in mind the question was asked what should we replace it with. Everyone puts a v8 in so we decided that a big six was the way to go. So we acquired a Chev 292 for the Gnome.

After 10 months of hard work and a shoehorn it all came together. Its amazing what a 9-inch grinder and a welder can do. All this work was carried out in our garage. Thus the saying SIX IN A ROW THE ONLY WAY TO GO. A special thanks to Bob the welder. He knows who he is.

Over the years at the salt we found it hard to see the Gnome in full flight down the track so we decided on a new paint job. Seeing that the Moe boys car was yellow we thought that it must be a fast colour and it can be seen a lot better then white.
After the paint job it look a bit plain. Our head Trawalla (Graham) had this vision and started painting. What more can I say. Some people like it and some don't but it's different.

Our trip to the lake this year had its problems like many of us do. Over heating problems in the holden Ute which slowed use down but we got there in the end.

Out on the track we started testing the Gnome not revving it past 5000 rpm as it had to be run in and we were not sure how it was going to go. We all had a run and then we did some fine tuning and planned to do a diff change.

Before the diff change I took the Gnome down the test track. After a couple of gear changes a bad vibration developed and oil pressure dropping. So we decide that we put the car on the trailer and plan for next year.

So what went wrong? After pulling the engine out and expecting to find a broken crank or a main cap broken we found that a rivet had sheared off on the pressure plate.

Now more engine development is happening and we cant wait till next year to see the Gnome in full flight down the track.

Norman
Gnome Racing

SIX IN A ROW THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Results from 2005 Speed Trials
No. Driver Vehicle Class MPH
#003 Rod Hadfield 96 VS Commodore AA/FALT 254.327
#011 Bernie Kelly 67 Ford Mustang D/PRO 171.714
#044 Mark Hadfield 67 Ford Mustang D/PRO 175.867
#092 John Lynch Belly Tank A/BFL 301.729
#096 Ray Charlton 32 Ford Roadster C/STR 189.294
#128 Wally James 67 Ford Mustang 187.402
#151 Steve Charlton EF Falcon C/PRO 164.533
#151 Steve Charlton 32 Ford Roadster C/STR 140.012
#155 David Waight 23 Ford Roadster G/MR V4 88.226
#194 Bob Bowman 27 Ford T Roadster D/GMR 165.555
#201 Norm Hardinge 34 Ford Roadster B/GR 185.404
#202 Bob Ellis 65 XP Falcon Coupe C/GCC 204.232
#207 Mathew Saunders Fiat Topolino E/GCC 126.404
#211 John Broughan Belly Tank F/BGL 201.838
#214 Steven Stamp 28 Ford A Roadster C/GMR 171.192
#215 Terry Maloney 27 Ford T Roadster D/GMR 158.033
#216 Trevor May 27 Ford T Roadster D/GMR 168.31
#217 Neil Jacups 27 Ford T Roadster D/GMR 166.658
#216 Ray Cooke 27 Ford T Roadster D/GMR 171.159
#242 Luke Hadfield 67 Ford Mustang 180.469
#247 Wayne Belot 34 Ford Roadster B/GR 188.6
#249 Graham Cain 72 LJ Holden Torana D/GC 123.473
#250 Norm Golgerth 72 LJ Holden Torana D/GC 121.114
#253 John Dent 68 Ford Mustang A/GC 201.027
#259 Paul Broughan Belly Tank F/BGL 197.834
#271 Leo Monaghan 72 LJ Holden Torana D/GC 127.605
#272 Lionel West 96 VS Commodore AA/FALT 254.291
#274 Nicholas Bown 86 VL Commodore C/PRO 193.579
#281 Don Noble Nissan Sklyline F/GC 137.988
#283 Dennis Boundy 54 FJ Holden XO/PRO 106.332
#285 Phil Stelling 68 HK Holden Monaro C/PRO 180.108
#292 Mark Bryan 69 XW Ford Falcon C/PRO 180.207
#294 Colin Moore 72 LJ Holden Torana D/GC 132.821
#295 Norm Bradshaw 68 Ford Mustang A/GC 202.44
#296 Aulis Soderblom 28 Ford A Roadster CGMR 180.704
#299 Robert Murdock EL Falcon EPRO 156.937
#323 David Partridge 82 Mazda RX7 E/GT 128.077
#325 Jason VanDyk 84 Pontiac Transam C/BFALT 206.967
#326 Nathan Lambert 84 Pontiac Transam C/BFALT 196.506
#317 James MacDonald XB Falcon C/PRO 167.418
#331 Ardian Reid 93 Falcon C/PRO 160.427
#335 Derrick Borgas 80 XD Falcon AA/GALT 211.665
#346 Graeme Turner 80 XD Falcon AA/GALT 210.133
#366 Graeme De Courcy Cann 2005 Lakester H/GL 57.182
#343 Steven Vorwerk International Truck U/DT 118.238
#360 Michael Bowden 72 HQ Statesman B/PRO 175.781
#369 David Lowe 2005 Lakester D/GL 125.505
#371 Grant Schlein Suzuki Swift H/PRO 120.192
#390 Daryl Chalmers EF Falcon C/PRO 184.738
#395 Dean Soderblom 28 Ford A Roadster CGMR 174.334
#397 Wayne Pickles 68 HK Holden Monaro C/PRO 182.26
#400 Bob Sherry 86 VL Commodore C/PRO 172.314
#414 Gavin Manning Ford Cargo Truck U/DT 133.769
#417 Don Hudson HQ Holden Monaro A/GC 151.209
#419 John Sheard 2005 Lakester D/GL 80.717
#429 Tom Carroll Nissan Bluebird G/PRO 99.811
#430 Stewart Pennycook EF Falcon C/PRO 169.523
#438 Ryan Culpitt Nissan Bluebird G/PRO 79.822
#440 Robert Smith VX Commodore 191.123
#445 Rebeka Tucker Suzuki Swift H/PRO 128.04
#446 Adrian Tucker Suzuki Swift H/PRO 129.217
#448 James Sargent VS Commodore 194.51
#449 Lee Holdsworth VS Commodore 143.95
#451 Shane Lewis HQ Statesman B/PRO 148.916
#453 Justin Clarke HQ Holden Monaro A/GC 147.831
#455 Fred Mitchell EL Falcon E/PRO 154.03
#456 Adam Rosenberg EL Falcon E/PRO 159.01
#460 Simon Davidson 34 Ford Roadster B/GR 127.968
#462 Jason Boundy FJ Holden XO/PRO 104.968
#466 Adam Pickles HK Monaro C/PRO 154.878
#467 Todd Lehmann International Truck U/DT 115.859
#468 Tina Hawley VL Commodore C/PRO 126.262
#472 Daniel Saunders Fiat Topolino E/GCC 111.801

#120 Chris Fraser Special Construction APS BG 4400 141.978
#144 Max Hooper 70 Honda MPS P F 750 103.46
#144 Max Hooper 70 Honda MC F 1350 141.883
#235 Boris Bennett 98 Harley Davidson M P G 1350 123.745
#268 Craig Hartman 85 Suzuki APS BF 1350 163.206
#282 Gary Baker 99 Suzuki MPS F 1350 168.476
#303 Phil Mumenthaler 78 Honda CBX M G 1350 141.198
#303 Phil Mumenthaler 78 Honda CBX M BF 1350 82.591
#304 Stuart Penn 55 Vincent A VBF 1000 112.542
#371 Grant Schlein Suzuki GSX 1300R MPS G 1350 196.206
#371 Grant Schlein Suzuki GSX P P 1350 198.347
#372 Paul Rogers 2004 XB 12R Buelle P PP 1350 140.292
#379 Greg Watters 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa MPS BG 1350 223.325
#380 Chris Matheson 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa MPS G 1350 173.235
#388 Roland Skate 78 Honda CBX M G 1350 142.472
#388 Roland Skate 78 Honda CBX M BF-1350 99.228
#388 Roland Skate 78 Honda CBX M F 1350 143.266
#391 Steven Barnett 72 Suzuki GT 750 MPS G 750 155.925
#394 Gary Peterson 2000 Suzuki GSX 1300R MPS G 1350 217.443
#411 Bill Brice 42 Harley Davidson M VF 500 112.923
#411 Bill Brice 42 Harley Davidson M BG 500 63.073
#428 Ross Foreman 90 Kawasaki SC G 1000 121.967
#431 Andrew Rogers 80 Suzuki M BG 1000 114.434
#443 Evelyne Scholz 82 Yamaha M G 350 120.417
#444 Dave McLachlan 82 Yamaha MPS G 350 129.533
#450 Karl Pegg 90 Yamaha P P 100 67.765
#431 Phillip Ryan 64 Bultaco P P G 350 103.507

Letter from Dave Dooley
Dear fellow members,
It was really swell of you guys to send me the poster. And a special thanks to all that signed it. That poster will have a prominent place just like my moon disc collection.
As good as the meet turned out (record attendance, Lynch's 301 run, so many new cars and trucks) maybe I should stay away more often. Naw, not if I have anything to do with it. It was to hard being away from you guys just this once. Like I've said before "I've never met an Aussie that I didn't want to hug." OK, maybe not "Animal". Thanks a million for the poster, hope to see ya in March, 2006! Later, Dooley
P.S. My wife said that she thinks that I should stay home more often. She said this past March is the first March in 10 years that we didn't get any snow! Well one things for sure, I didn't bring it with me to Australia.

DLRA Website
Since they have been online the combined 2005 pages have received a massive 7093 hits!
Updates - the 2005 page has now been updated with the results, comments and over 160 photos, giving a fantastic coverage of this years event. There are now pages up to 2010 with the dates for each of these years. All the driver profile pages have been updated and 40 new one's created. There is now 246 pages online for each driver who has competed at the Lake.

Forum- the DLRA website has had a forum or bulletin board for about 12 months now and it's a great place to keep in contact with fellow members and find out all the latest information about Dry Lakes Racing in Australia. There are different areas for General Information, Australian and International Event news, Chassis Suspension and Safety, Engine Development and Performance, Records and a special Members Only Area. Plus you can place your own advertisements in the Buy, Swap Sell sections. You need to sign up for the forum to leave messages, but that's all pretty easy, just go to http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/

Email Addresses - there are several email addresses that members have given me that are not current, if you have recently moved ISP's or have changed your email address please send the new address to drylakesracersau@hotmail.com
Mailing List - For those members who are unaware the DLRA has an email list for members, the press and interested individuals. The types of information sent using this list includes a text version of the newsletter, latest news and any DLRA bulletins. There is now about 250 subscribers on the mailing list and it's free, so why not keep yourself informed. If you wish to subscribe to the list send your email address to drylakesracersau@hotmail.com

FOR SALE
Hand carved DLRA dash plaque $70
Hand carved DLRA Belt Buckle $90
Smooth Metalics, Chq, Money Order, Posted
1 Russell Street Springvale VIC 3171
Telephone 03 9546 6867

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

JET HOT
The hottest in heat management coating
More power less heat, unmatched durability, great looks!

To order call 1800 700 HOT (468)
Free call or Tech Info (03) 5470 6416

Jet Hot Coating Australia
26 Elizabeth Street Caastlemaine VIC 3450
www.jet-hot.com.au

AUSSIE DESERT COOLER
Radiators and Replacement Cores
Made in Australia, by Australians, for Australians
3 year warranty, built to fit into existing support panels
350 Murrary Road Preston VIC 3072
Phone (03) 9470 4449 Fax (03) 94714446

CASTLEMAINE ROD SHOP
Pyrenees Highway, Chewton VIC Australia 3451
Tel (03) 5472 2853 Fax (03) 5472 1241
www.rodshop.com.au

DAWSONS TRUCK REFINISHING
Smash Repairs, Resprays, Insurance Work, Fleet Work, Sign Writing
9 Ashley Park Drv Chelsea Heights VIC 3196
Phone (03) 9776 2333

HOT ROD INTERNET
For all the latest news, event information and coverage, Hot Rod Swap Meet ? buy and sell.
Now with the new Bench Racing forum, talk to 100?s of other rodders from all over the world.
http://www.hot-rod.com.au

ROBIN CSEH'S SMOOTH METALLICS

Sculpting classics of the future from bronze, silver and gold
Investment castings for the finest detail, strength and tollerance

*Event Merchandise *medalions * Jewellery *Awards *Gifts
*Mascots *Artifact Restoration *Custom Sculpting Anything

1 Russell Street Springvale VIC 3171
Telephone 03 9546 6867

STAMPS HOT ROD COLOURED SEAT BELTS

Custom made to compliment your cars interior
For a free quotation and information on our full range, contact;
Neil and Desma Stamp,