Rule Transfer 7.8.10 Wheels - OEM

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

internetscooter

Rule Transfer 7.8.10 Wheels - OEM

Post by internetscooter »

Hi,

Is this where we post rule change/transfer requests? Or via email or letter? The STCA have an online form...

I am suggesting the DLRA rule for OEM wheel diameter be included in the STCA ammendments

7.8.10 Wheels

"Wheels shall have a minimum nominal diameter of 15 in. except in a Sidecar and Streamliner classes."

updated to...

"Wheels shall have a minimum nominal diameter of 15 in. except in a Sidecar and Streamliner classes or if OEM."

This will have no safety impact as the safety is determined by the tyre properties and associated rules (i.e. smaller wheels are limited by tyre speed rating and therefore cannot go faster than available tyres)

Though...

Having said that, I recall the DLRA rules were "rim" diameter and STCA is "wheel" - if wheel includes the tyre then I am ok :) ... but I doubt it.

Let me know the correct channel if this is not?

Cheers,

Paul
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
RGV

Re: Rule Transfer 7.8.10 Wheels - OEM

Post by RGV »

Hey Paul. Page 75 and 77 of the downloadable rule book have the forms, not sure if there is another method.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
internetscooter

cheers - I was using the STCA book - I'll go through the download and do it that way (looks the same as last time)
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Paul,
Please, please please only use the current DLRA Rule Book that is available as a download from the website. I am putting the finishing touches to the 2013 rule book now which states-
"Wheels shall have a minimum nominal diameter of 15 in. except in the Sidecar and Streamliner classes."
Graham Hadley has suggested we add in "or OEM". At this stage there has been no discussion os the subject and no rule change petition submitted so it stays as it is.
The procedures for rule changes is at the end of the rule book.
Wheel is wheel and tyre is tyre. I think the problem with smaller than 15" is the increase in wheel speed. At this stage I am happy with the relationship I have with the SCTA Rule Book Coordinator and would be reluctant to suggest anything that wasn't a direct safety issue. Their procedure for rule changes is very different to ours and I wouldn't want our contentious suggestions to go to board level over there to be shot down.
Please feel free to gather some support for your idea, speak to Graham, sumbit it and see what happens.
GAZ
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Seems to me that if the minimum 15" wheel rule is enforced Paul has to park the Vespa. That doesn't sound the least bit fair, especially considering the huge amount of time and effort he has put in over the years developing the scooter into a successful salt racer. There is no good reason to arbitrarily legislate any competitor's vehicle of choice out of existence, especially just to copy the SCTA's rules. Commonality is all well and good but not when it hurts active and dedicated Australian competitors. Wheel speed isn't really an issue, the rest of the scooter is the limiter. Eventually Paul will have the world's fastest stock chassis scooter and I wish him well in his quest.

Add the OEM clause so he can continue to enjoy his Vespa in the years to come.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

David,
Don't shoot the messenger please. He asked a question and I gave him the answer. The club voted on the new rule book not just me. Rules are rules and i think most people in the club are very happy that we have adopted the current SCTA rule book and will update ours every year to reflect the changes. Putting in a petition to include OEM wheel sizes is the way to go and he already has Graham's consent so it shouldn't be a big deal. Stick to the procedures and everybody can be happy!
Gaz
internetscooter

Thanks for the support Dave and the info Gaz.

I don't think there is an issue as I just haven't had a chance to apply for the change. I had the change processed last time without issue and I think the change will be dealt with just as positively this time :) I'll be posting it off next week - ready for 2013 :D
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Paul, the 2013 book will be finished this week so if you would like to have OEM wheels included then PM me straight away, and I will chase up the three stewards and get their approval. Otherwise it won't get in till the 2014 book. Either way I don't think you will have a problem.
Gaz
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

David Leikvold wrote:Seems to me that if the minimum 15" wheel rule is enforced Paul has to park the Vespa. That doesn't sound the least bit fair, especially considering the huge amount of time and effort he has put in over the years developing the scooter into a successful salt racer. There is no good reason to arbitrarily legislate any competitor's vehicle of choice out of existence, especially just to copy the SCTA's rules. Commonality is all well and good but not when it hurts active and dedicated Australian competitors. Wheel speed isn't really an issue, the rest of the scooter is the limiter. Eventually Paul will have the world's fastest stock chassis scooter and I wish him well in his quest.

Add the OEM clause so he can continue to enjoy his Vespa in the years to come.

Cheers

Agreed Dave .... I will put it on record here that Im not nor ever was happy with taking on the SCTA rules verbatium .... I spent many years as the chief scrut for bikes making sure our bike rules suited the Äustralian" way ( I will add they followed the yank rules very closely but allowed for more inovation and the chance for scooters and other ophans to compete )and having that taken away in one fell swoop left a bitter taste in my mouth ..... having said that ,Internet sc ooter please put in a rule change form and I will look very favourably at adding wording that will allow you to race your scooter :)
cheers
Gary #282
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Gaz,
Definitely not taking pot shots at you, just showing some support for Paul and hoping that other members would do the same. Yes, rules are rules, but bad rules are bad rules too. When we were having the discussion about motorcycle leathers a while back "firemanjim", a bike racer from California, complained that the SCTA leathers rules were written by SCTA car guys who didn't value the input of the bike racers. He warned us NOT to slavishly follow the SCTA rules.

I'd like to offer this suggestion for the future. When the annual DLRA review of the SCTA rule changes rolls around, how about posting all the changes on this forum for discussion so that members can decide whether or not the changes make sense for us. If we decide that an amendment isn't worth adopting, we don't. We could always include a notation advising readers that there is a difference and include the SCTA rule as well as our own for those very few members who might be affected if they ever went to Bonneville.

We should also remember that the SCTA isn't "the only game in town". There are other organisations running their own versions of land speed racing in the USA and they don't use the SCTA rule book.

Cheers
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!