2005 Speed Trials 7
Rider Profile - Ron Stayt 9
Don's Doings 10
Aussie Invader 5R 11
QLD Chapter Meeting 11
DLRA Video 11
DLRA Website Update 11
Newsletter Sponsors 13

On the cover; 2 very happy drivers and teams from 2005.
Left; Don Hudson about to lay down a new record.

President Rob Carroll Ph/Fax 03 5472 4370
Vice President John Lynch
Secretary Rod Hadfield
Treasurer Rod Hadfield
Chief Steward John Dawson
Motorcycle Steward Gary Baker
Race Director Kevin Saville / Rob Carroll
Starter Cled Davies
Assistant Starter Chris Hanlon
Timer Peter Noy
Assistant Timer Eric Smith
Scrutineer Phil Arnold
1st Assistant Scrutineer Lennie Souter
2nd Assistant Scrutineer Steve Charlton

DLRA
PO Box 349 Castlemaine VIC 3450
Phone: 03 5472 4629 and Fax: 03 5472 4370
http://www.dlra.org.au
info@ dlra.org.au

Presidents Report
Rob Carroll
Hi, and welcome to our mid year (almost) newsletter. Not a lot to report on at the moment, but here goes.
The minutes from the July 17 meeting at Aussie Desert cooler factory are elsewhere in this newsletter.
At that meeting we talked about different things we need to do to improve the race meeting next year. These changes include some extra signs for directing spectators to the DLRA Registration and Technical Inspection tent (especially for people who have not been to Lake Gairdner before, and are not sure where to go or who to ask for information).
At this tent, spectators and campers will be able to pay their fees and receive armbands along with an information sheet on the do's and don'ts of the Lake and Mt. Ive Station.
We also plan to buy a second dust blower if a members offer of one or two good second hand blowers doesn't come through. A 20lt fuel container will also be purchased for the dust blowers, as the 5lt container we had this year was too small.
The working bee at Christmas is to go ahead to complete the cool rooms, ice makers and some other maintenance. We will also transport two new portable toilets and assemble them at camp. We are considering the purchase of plastic type toilets instead of the tin type units we bought last year. It appears that these will be more robust over the rough tracks.
Race Meeting dates until 2011 have been (tentatively) booked with the Department of Environment and Heritage.
We have received samples of windcheaters in black and dark grey with DLRA on the back and the belly tank logo on the front, the same as our club t-shirt.
We also received a sample of a long sleeved t-shirt in white with the same artwork. Prices have not been finalised yet, should know by next newsletter, but let me know if you are interested in these.
A request has been made about noise coming from generators at the pits. If you do use one and it's noisy, maybe a second muffler or some other noise suppression means could be employed to keep everyone happy.
Wayne Mumford tells me he sold 2 aircraft wing tanks to a new member from Shepparton and the owner expects this to be running for the meeting next March (fast builder!).
So, keep working on those race cars, it's only six months until we race again!!

NO NOISY GENERATORS
IN THE PITS!!!

Rod's Rambling’s
Rod Hadfield
I am writing this from our temporary office in Orange USA and have been setting up the 1934 steel bodied Roadsters made in Castlemaine for the L.A. Roadster show at Pomona and it is simply huge.

The S.C.T.A. have four cars on display and Mike Cook the President was manning the stand, I asked him who in his opinion was the best to talk to about the big cubic inch motor, he gave me a name and Ron Ceridono from “Street Rodder” magazine who was at this years DLRA Speedweek with Tex Smith overheard our discussion and said he would take me there on Monday. While walking the swap meet at Pomona I met up with club member David Waight from Ballarat along with many other Aussies.

We attended the Antique Nationals earlier in the month, what a day it was, it was held at the Los Angeles Country Raceway (drag strip), it was the 50th year of the Antique Nationals, there were around 300 old cars running the quarter mile, the event is put on by the “Forever Four” club of which Chuck Sharpe one of our members and his wife Nancy were helping out with the organizing of the event. We went past the Edwards Air Force Base recently and attended El Mirage for their first meeting of the season, the dust was really bad and the surface was also bad but they just accept it.

Shows the starter and the track along with the dust.

At the start line again showing the blue sky and yet there is still snow on the mountains.
While we were at El Mirage I had to change the blower belts on my Lincoln motor and was invited to use the workshop which is situated in a yard full of scrapped cars, planes, buses etc. you name it and it was in the yard. The caretaker welcomed us and said they had a twin engined car from Australia there, it turned out to be Glen Davis’s car, what a surprise!!

We also attended a large show at Half Moon Bay, which is near San Francisco where Dry Lakes Cars were on show including “Ack Attack” the 328 mph Worlds Fastest Motor Bike, the crew gave us a DVD on the machine.

We intend to attend Bonneville this August and may do a big Rod Run that goes from L.A. almost to the Canadian border and back to Pleasanton for the Good Guys Western Nats.

We will most likely be home by the time this newsletter is out and will see some of you at the general meeting at Aussie Desert Cooler in July.

DLRA General Meeting
HELD AT AUSSlE DESERT COOLER FACTORY
350 MURRAY ROAD. PRESTON.
17th July. 2005
The meeting was opened by Rob Carroll at 11.30 am and there were 41 members that signed the attendance sheet. Rob welcomed interstate members Peter Noy, Kevin Saville and Steve Vorwerk along with all other members and visitors.

APOLOGIES: John Burley, Dean & Aulis SoderbJom, John Dawson, Brendan O'Reilly, Bruce Fisher, Wally James, Kym Dahl, Chris Weir, Denis Boundy, Adam Pickles, Chris O'Mara, Rod Saville and Greg Wapling.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING: The previous minutes were tabled as distributed in the newsletter.
MOVED BY: Rob Carroll 2ND; Peter Noy

FINANCIAL REPORT:
BANK BALANCE: $26,881.89
MOVED BY: Carol Hadfield 2nd; Mark Hadfield

The Treasurer requested $400.00 petty cash to cover Postage, Stationery, Printing etc,
this was MOVED BY: Rob Carroll 2nd: Ray Charlton

INWARD CORRESPONDANCE:
 A letter was received from prospective member Anthony McPherson.
 Letters of thanks for the way the Speed trials were conducted this year were received from D.L.R.A. member Phil Mumenthaler and Richard Nicholls who was a crewmember for a motorcycle team.
 A letter of confirmation that the leaded fuel passbook scheme is to be continued until 30th January 2006.

OUTWARD CORRESPONDANCE:
 A Letter was sent to Len & Joy Newton stating that members would be attending a working bee at Christmas time. Also that Andy Jenkins would be removing parts from the diesel generator and we may need to hire their back hoe. They were also sent a copy of the latest Newsletter and pages from Bonneville Racing News.

GENERAL BUSINESS;
 Rod Hadfield reported that he had spoken to the current Newsletter Editor who Indicated that he would continue to collate our Newsletter.
 Rob Carroll told the meeting that Andy Jenkins and Bill Linton are going to the camp to remove the fuel pump from the diesel generator for repair as it has developed a leak.
 Rod Hadfleld reported that he had received information that Bonneville scrutineers would not be accepting tyres over 5 years old, he also reported on the S.C.T.A. stand at the L.A. Roadster show where they had bikes and cars on display and he had spoken to Mike Cook, S.C. T .A. President who told him that 18" tyres would be back in production and they were hoping it would be as early as the meeting to be held in August as many teams are relying on getting new tyres.
 Rob Carroll had spoken to Ross Allen from National Parks, who is quite happy but wants to see some work in the area of Spectator control as well as the unregistered vehicle problem on the lake addressed. Russell Utber moved a motion that each
 Adult spectator not entered to drive, other than officials, is to pay $20.00 for access to the lake and is to be issued with an armband. Anyone under the age of 15 is to be admitted free of charge but is to be under the control of an adult with an armband. Seconded by Peter Noy. All in favour.
 Rob Carroll put to the meeting that we buy a second leaf blower and fuel drum to speed up the traffic flow entering the-Iake and to have a backup unit on hand. Brian Nicholson has offered to organise this. Craig Nixon, the Ranger for D. E. & H. has expressed that he is happy with the way that vehicle cleaning is done. Rod suggested that a frame be made to hold the blowers and the fuel to help avoid damage.
 Rob Carroll reported that push cars must be inspected at the same time as Race Cars for basic requirements such as brakes, flashing light, tarp, oil spill kit, first aid kit etc.
 Rob also reported that Matthew Saunders had phoned him about helmets and the possibility of the club purchasing a bulk deal, after discussion is was decided that this is not practical as people wish to individually have their helmets fitted.
 Steve Charlton has spoken to Revolution Racegear who have one of our rulebooks to decipher regulations, Steve was asked to arrange a representative to be at our next meeting In January.
 A discussion was held on a lighter jacket or windcheater, also on Matthew Saunders behalf, the committee is to look at this.
 Rob Carroll reported that he would like to see the club purchase two more portable toilets and trailers, Rod has spoken to the suppliers of Polyethylene toilet which we feel will be maintenance free and will withstand the transportation over the rough conditions better. Rod is to look into this. Rob Carroll moved and Len Souter seconded that we purchase two toilets and trailers before the next meeting.
 Rob Carroll reported that there is to be a working bee at the campsite from Monday the 26th of December, 2005 for those who could attend, he outlined work he would like to see carried out and that there were approximately ten people who have committed to attend, anyone else is welcome. Rob and Kym Debrenni are to make up trusses for a roof over the cool room and compressors and requested permission to purchase materials, this was moved by Rob Carroll and seconded by Steve Charlton.
 Rob Is to investigate a shutdown system for the generator, Cled Davies spoke about switches made by the Murphy company in the U.S.A. that were available from trucking companies.
 Rob Carroll reported that Trevor Beck had spoken to him about the possibility of the purchase of a second generator for the campsite in the case of an emergency, Rob asked that members be on the lookout for a suitable large air cooled unit. Trevor had also suggested that with some modifications the toilet at his campsite would be suitable for the Women to use freeing up the present Women's ablution block for a few hours in the mornings to help ease the congestion at the Men's.
 Rob asked that any members with outstanding debts for the auction to please pay their account.
 Peter Noy reported that the generator at the timing van is too big, too noisy and too thirsty, Cled Davies knows of a good 1.3 kva which would be suitable for approximately $650.00. Rob Carroll moved and Peter Noy seconded that Cled purchase this generator at a reasonable price. All in favour .
 Kevin Saville asked if we could put an article in the next Newsletter asking people with Generators at the lake to put on a suitable muffler to help reduce noise and have consideration for others along with officials in the location of their units.
 There was discussion that more corflute is needed for track marking, Garry Brennan stated that he would get this.
 Cled Davies (our starter) reported on changes with start line procedures to help ease congestion. Rod spoke about the system used at El Mirage where there is no confusion and rookie drivers have their own lane, any car ready to run simply moves to the second line in anyone of the four staging lanes. Cled requested that someone, not entering, be available to help at the start line during the meeting and work with CIed to streamline the starting area.
 Joe Karasiewicz tabled pictures of his triple engined (9 cylinder) bike requesting guidance as the rule book states only two engines are allowed, the meeting felt this needs to be looked at but could be covered in a special category as the "Silverton" bike is.
 Kevin Saville enquired on the need to prepare the track from Zero to One Mile stating that this option has only been used once. Rod Hadfield suggested that the start line be moved back to Zero, thus allowing timing to start at 2 mile which would have the vehicles at a much greater speed going past the canteen which may entice spectators to stay at this viewing point, this would also allow pits to be closer to the canteen. Steve Vorwerk moved that the track starts at Zero, seconded by Norm Hardinge .
 Rob Carroll showed a copy of Bonneville Racing News with John Lynch on the cover and a meeting coverage inside. The meeting congratulated John on his 301 mph run with a show of hands. There was also a show of hands for Steve Vorwerk on the article featuring his truck and publicising the club in the South Australian XTRA publication.
 There was a brief discussion on diesel engines classes for trucks.
 Rob Carroll presented Ray Charlton with the trophy sponsored by the "Southern Hot Rod Club" for "Fastest Roadster", Ray gave a short speech followed by a show of hands by members.
 There was a brief discussion on possible safety changes to helmets, suits and the incorporation of a cut-off switch when Fire Extinguishers are discharged, no decision was reached.
 The raffle was drawn by Tom Carrol, five large posters from this years event were won by Bill Herremans, Brian Nicholson, Joe Karasiewicl, Steve Vorwerk and Gary Allen. The raffle raised $230.00.
 Rob Carroll thanked Norm and Vicki for the use of their premises again and for the preparation of lunch, he requested people to put in a donation of a gold Coin to help cover the lunch expenses.
 The meeting was closed at 2pm.

This image was produced from the new "Google Earth" web product. The viewing point is south of the Lake looking North West from about 400' elevation. You can view satelite imagery anywhere on the globe, someplaces in 3D. The 9 mile track fits into only a fraction of the arm to the left.

2005 Speed Trials
James Stewart
Wednesday I think It must have been, the weather hadn’t been great with wind and a day of rain eating into the early part of Speedweek. We’d come again without bringing a car to run, our belly-tank lakester was still much more of design concept than a record contender. Although an enormous amount of time had already gone into the project when people asked to see our car I’d just tap the side of my head and say “it’s mostly in here”. So yeah it’s Wednesday and I’m searching through my bag for a film when I spot my mobile phone and recoil in shock …. I hadn’t even thought about it , or working for that matter , since I left Melbourne four days earlier . That’s one of the best things about Speedweek, it’s like you’re on the moon. Nothing can intrude, according to word on the ground there is a ‘phone at the members camp but that’d kind of spoil the story wouldn’t it?……. Has my house burned down ? A death in the family? Whatever happens, or has happened, won’t be troubling me until Friday when we hit the bitumen again.

“The fact that it’s so far away and only once a year was part of the attraction for me” said Daniel MacDonald when I asked him why he brought, and even in the first place built his XB coupe Saltwise. No-one who climbs Everest hangs around at the top for long ….. the achievement is the journey and “summitting” is the final stamp of legitimacy .To get to the salt is hard work , to conduct a successful campaign and achieve what you set out to do is a monumental achievement. Add to that the natural beauty and assortment of like-minded people and it really is utterly unique on the Australian motor-sports calender.

Speaking of two door Henrys the Moe boys didn’t bring their yellow XA this year …. that cut their fun but not nearly as much as Nick Bown did….Driving like he’d stolen it Nick took the C /Pro record up to 193.57 mph in a fairly sedate lookin’ VL Calais with a 383 (me thinks) and some set up help from Colin” Doorslammer” Wills….Next year should see a right little play off between Henry and he General for first through the door rights on 200mph.

Unique is right . Steve Charlton a.k.a “Animal" is an assistant scrutineer and Speedweek’s “time-slip man”, charity auctioneer and rusted-on Ford fan . As he pointed out to me in a voice somewhere between the great Gonzo and Marge Simpson’s sister Selma …”…it’s even a genuine Ford bus I’m drivin’…”. It is accepted that “Charlie” will spend the week dressed only in his jocks, sometimes with a t-shirt and if it’s “bloody freezing " he'll borrow a pair of jeans. Each year Charlie runs the club’s charity auction…. absolutely hysterical , bent and mischievous Charlie “bends “ the accepted rules of the auction system , has a bit of a tug on the regs concerning false advertising and for all our benefit stops one pair of jocks short of full nudity.

This year saw John Lynch break the 300 mile per hour barrier in his gorgeous Keith Black powered Bellytank Lakester. On song it’s a sweet sounding machine and with previous years problems behind him he reached 301 point something miles per hour. Despite appearing to have something in his eye John conducted a post record press conference with the 60minutes crew and signed a pile of t-shirts. After taking a day or so off to re-arrange his thoughts following a hefty celebration of the record run, Lynch suffered engine trouble ….a cracked block? ……mmmm …a crocked Black!!!

Rod Hadfield and Lionel West returned with the “Bronzed Aussie” their A/FALT Commodore entry which turned it’s Jericho gearbox into scrap last year .This year they brought two boxes , but still fell short of the 260mph mark .One would suspect there will be improvement in that camp next year now that the drive train has found some harmony .

Norm Bradshaw had a birthday (twenty eight I think) and ran 201 the same day in the Mustang he and John Dent keep bringing back, built originally for the Cannonball Run, Norm told me in one season in Qld it won 37 out of 38 races with one second place . Each year the ‘tang has gone faster ……….

Mark Bryant had an eventful meeting in his matt black XW Falcon which carries signage from Biante Model Cars and his own Bridge Model Cars …after a run at 168, Mark returned to be told that his rear glass was all over the track , it was news to him .The track was shut down while the debris was swept up and Mark spoke to the scrutineers. The possible lowering of the speed for the installation of roof rails and strips over the rear glass to 150 mph could be a result . Details of the incident were forwarded to Ford just in case they were considering a re-issue of the XW. Just as the kerfuffle over the glass died down Bryant made another lunge for notoriety by spinning the XW at somewhere near 170…..that meant another trip past the scrutineers ….. a tyre change was required , according to Mark he didn’t need a nappy change though…”it all happened so fast I didn’t have time to shit meself” , and he was back on the horse.

John and Paul Broughan who pushed their bellytank past 200 last year in both GL and BGL classes returned with a sleek new canopy much reminiscent of the SR-71 Blackbird and a matt-black paint-job ( well sort of) .They cracked the double ton but not their 2004 mark before something denser than air hit a turbo-vane and booked their departure for home . What will the brothers do now? Safe bet it will be medium-tech , low-budget ,and fast……..I just hope they stay out of E/GL…..or at least give us a year!

Phil Stelling left early in the week but his Monaro kept on running without him .The motor, owned by Wayne Pickles held together this year after last years catastrophic lunching early in the week. A cryingly beautiful rebuild that used three donor bodies Phil’s HK was built specially for the salt but can be reverted to road-legal just in case he needs a 190mph capable shopping cart.

Don Gibson was another GM stalwart with his burnt-orange HQ two-door which has become the host for an LPG 454, running a 3:1 rear Don came to run 150 and ran 151…..it’s road registered and suffered a few “taxi!” jibes with it’s Yellow Cab livery and monotonous reliability .

Daryl Chalmers had a very successful maiden meet in 2004 when he took his 347 Windsor Cortina and ran 169 mph . This year he teamed up with Stewie Pennycook and built an EL Falcon, dropped in the 347, doused it in GT Blood Orange and touched 180. During 2005 Daryl will be building a 372 Dart block engine which he hopes will give 700 horsepower and over 200 mph. It’s all just numbers, but so far Daryl has done what he’s said he would so let’s just wait and see.

Speaking of numbers Graeme Turner reckons his 502 cube big block Ford makes about 850 horsepower and if he’s right then the wind-force on the front of an XD Falcon at 211 mph must be somewhere near ( but not greater than) the equivalent of 850 horsepower .Graeme is the first to admit that the XD ain't the most aerodynamic shape in the world and even the “bigger , stronger block “ he’s threatening to bring next year won’t make it go much faster. Even so their effort this year was an inspiring one, after knocking on the door for a couple of years they broke the 200 mark easily and not just once.

Dave Partridge is a man on a mission .A secret mission. Making his way to Gairdner from Eltham with a bright yellow RX7in tow Dave is pretty much your ordinary run-of-the-mill vegetarian chef high-speed rotary freak. Running high 140’s and capturing the rookie driver award for 2004 just made Dave more determined. Fuel problems and ride height issues were the focus of Dave’s prep’ for the 2005 meet and the car also arrived with a new “Moffat style” splitter and baffle-free stainless mega-phone exhaust. The new exhaust note alone put the wind up any “note lovers “ within earshot (…that’s about ten miles). Just as Dave got the car happy a run in the one-twenties pushed the splitter down to where it caught the salt and the lower lip turned under cracking the whole spoiler and leaving a piece of fibreglass on the track. As the stewards searched for debris Dave decided that what he should be concentrating on was Speedweek 2006. The potentially world record capable car will return in 2006 with a front air dam more like what Jason and Nathan were using.

Jason Van Dyk and Nathan Lambert were back with their Pontiac Trans-Am. Running a small block Chev with alloy heads and a 671 the boys were solid and impressive last year with many expecting them to do well in 2005. After a run of 196 it was discovered that a few pushrods weren’t as straight as they could have been so a new set were flown over from Melbourne, that was a fourteen hour roundtrip for two crew members in order to retrieve them from Adelaide .The next morning saw 206mph, that’s more like it …….. the preparation and hard work was starting to bring results. Having to race on a National Park brings with it certain responsibilities, the club pays a not insubstantial deposit to ensure that it leaves the lake as it found it and so that any “expensive “ clean-ups can be effected. During the week Rangers from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources can be seen observing the goings-on and making sure that the Taxpayers valuable National Park ain't been damaged by some hell-bent Taxpayers in Hot-Rods…..got the idea? Well, getting back to Jason and Nathan, after their initial 200 run they were pretty keyed up. Next thing the car is off and being hurriedly pushed onto a tarp …. "it’s done a hose I think……could even be a welsh plug" ………what a happy coincidence that the Ranger was there to see how effective the club’s clean-up protocol was ………….green stuff comes out of motors when something is wrong , at least as a scientist and clear-thinker that’s the way I’ve always seen it, well this time was no different and the VanDyk /Lambert campaign was over , “yeah, nah , I think it’s a con-rod”. Tim Rogers who’s on tools with the Van Dyk Lambert team explained all this to me as the car was being trailered for the trip home to Melbourne, he also related how the team had spent six hours ( that’d be @ $23 p/hour disassemble/assemble insurance rate ) pulling out the back of the T/A after some goose ran into the back of them at a cattle grid in a Cruiser…….. The crew accepted full responsibility and admitted it was silly to be driving so slowly in a dust cloud with a race car on a trailer across a cattle grid. The cruiser driver was just lucky he didn’t come across Dave Partridge on his way to the lake on Sunday ….at 10mph. Less lucky was the Emu that somebody walloped on the way in mid-Sunday afternoon.

The Robert Smith AVESC team brought two old Holdens that sounded great and ran up to but not including 200miles per hour………… if they bring that generator to the members camp again……………

There was plenty of other stuff there of course, Smurf’s ol’ Inter with the Cummins and big snail which he’d painted a delicious shade of lesbian purple. The Candy-Belle Express ….a 4K powered Lego block lakester in metallic camel-shit brown and the rattest possibly T-based thermo-syphon four powered kero-tin-mobile I’ve EVER seen . Late in the week a 253 Topolino owned by Matt Saunders in black with orange framing pulled in, cool. Spectator rides were down a little this year with the stand-out being Jim Wright’s “Kingswod” or whatever you want to call an HQ with three feet of length missing. I checked the rego label and it said “sedan”……….are the rego’ reg’s in SA slack or what? Some of the push cars are getting near the end of their useful lives with your correspondent noticing more and more daylight peeking through , “the car that pushed the car that ran 301” was lookin’ like a salt packed sardine by weeks end and the original Pelican won’t be winning any concourse awards any time soon .

The canteen on the lake’s edge which is run by the Newtons from Mt Ive station was once again fantastic…good grub, cold beer, people talking about cars …..er and bikes ….I had to pinch myself. Now that I've mentioned bikes I guess it would be rude not to point out that some of 'em did some big numbers, Gary Peterson and Greg Watters made 216 and 223 respectively, the Silverton boys had tranny trouble, Max Hooper vitamised a Manx Norton, Stevie Barnett ported a piston, actually his water bottle does it every year ....if it didn't you'd wonder if he was going soft . Bones and his administrator brought a TZ 350, there were two seventies sidecars, Phil Mumenthaler's CBX entries were a mixed bag .... Roland Skate and he got the aspirated version going but the yellow blower job was just transport .

I’m sitting here desperately trying to organise the building of our bellytanker …I knew it would be hard……. but I knew it wasn’t impossible , like I knew it would be expensive …..and everyone would think I was mad ( stuff ‘em)……I just want to get it done and get back to Gairdner , where it all makes sense .See ya there in 2006 racers .

Dr Goggles #374
James Stewart
149 Cornwall Rd Sunshine 0400 818 080

Rider Profile

My name is Ronnie Stayt, DLRA member # 178.
My interest in land speed started when I heard wireless reports on Donald Campbell's efforts setting the World Landspeed record on Lake Eyre in 1964. As a kid this fascinated me, the fact that a car could go "so fast". Over the years since i have followed the fortunes of Breedlove, Noble and Co, admiring their achievements.
Being a motorcycle type person, the Streamliners of Leppan, Manning and Vesco really interested me. Then in the late eighties, articles about Dave Campos were being published in Easyriders magazine. Now this really got my attention, so much so I designed on paper, and dreamt of building a Motorcycle `Liner, however having a young family and a lack of funds kept it at the dreaming stage. Now 30years on, a few dollars in the back pocket, maybe ????.
The 2004 bike, "Black Betty" M/BF1350 Record @ 159.61mph.
 Motor- 82GPZ 1100 Kawasaki.
 Head- standard.
 Valves- Manley Stainless.
 Cams- standard, lc standard. 650 underbuckets.
 Pistons- old MTC 1200cc 7:1 slugs. teflon buttons.
 Crankshaft- standard, welded.
 Gearbox- standard ratios, undercut.
 Final ratio-15/30. (630 chain)
 Turbo-RaJay. a/f B.25 (way to small)
 Boost- 20lbs. Wastegate- old ATP.
 Carby- 1.75" SU. (mongrel draw through set up)
 Fuel- Alchol.
 Ignition- Mallory Magneto.(35deg. advance)
 Chassis-82 GPZ Kawasaki.
 Rake- 44deg.
 Wheelbase- 68"
 Crank height- 8.5"
 Rear Wheel- Hayabusa.
 Rear tyre- Bridgestone 190/50. 40psi.
This was the first year that i have competed on "the salt".
Although she handled as if on rails, i have extended the wheelbase to 71", in an effort to minimise rear wheel slippage. The seat and handlebar positions have been changed, to help reduce frontal area. Also I will be installing a larger turbine housing to overcome the asthma she suffered. This bike will be run at the 2006 event, where after obtaining my 175mph licence, it will be WOT to see what she is capable of. The bike will be "for sale", as I now have a Kawasaki XZ12 to play with."
thankyou, Ronnie Stayt...

DONS DOINGS
DON NOBLE # 281 F/GC ( Red Nissan Skyline station wagon )

There you go, its happened for another year. A record breaking event in many ways, speeds, number of competitors and the amount of dust.
Personally I had a great time, stayed longer, socialised almost to excess and did 10 runs on the salt, and got to ride my little 1967 Yamaha 100 around (I used to have one back in 1968 too, my first set of wheels) . After 5 yrs of attending I finally figured it was time to take a decent mattress , it does help .
The only disappointment I had was i went 3 mph (137 mph) slower than previously, and that was after i had done so many mods, including fitting a twin cam 24 valve head. Problem was fuel related, got to 5500 rpm in 5th gear then starved, cough splutter etc . Was unable to fix at the salt. But i thought it sounded real sweet the rest of the time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now 3 months later
Guess most us saw the 60 minutes report and all the magazines, I've bought 5 different ones so far. I liked the comment on Sixty Minutes, which I have taken out of context of course, but Charles Wooley said " I have discovered this event where they.... " . Well I'll be buggered now I know what to do in early March each year.
9 months to go, and I've still done nothing about the fuel problem I had at the salt. Most likely I will leave it till the last minute to add to next years excitement.
Haven't been standing still though. Have experimented with fuel pressures, tried a different computer and timing settings. Have been to the drag strip test and tune nights twice. The result is it just wont go any faster (14.8 @ 92 mph). I really should put it on the dyno, but will also leave that til the last minute too, even more excitement .

That's my doings for the present.

Aussie Invader 5R
Rosco McGlashen has just announced his intention to go for the 900mph record. Currently the fastest Australian, with a record of 642mph with the Aussie Invader 2, McGlashen is working a deal with SpaceDev, the same company that was integral in the recently successful SpaceShipOne shot last June.
For details, go to his web site, http://www.aussieinvader.com/. This image is of his concept car being designed by John "Ackers" Ackroyd of the Isle of Wight.

FOR SALE

1984 Pontiac Trans Am
This vehicle has run in BFALT class but will fit into Competition Coupe classes. Car has run a best of 206.967mph and is extremely stable at this speed and has heaps more potential. P.O.A.
Phone Jason 0438 572 743 or Nathan 0413 040 850
 2 Pak Sikkens Black Paint
 Extensive 6 point roll cage including side intrusion and seat mounts. Full Fire System
 Full Fire System – ATC foam, 2 nozzles on driver, one on each header and one on sump
 Autometer tacho, oil pressure, water temp, amps and pyrometer gauges
 Kirkey aluminum seat  Jaz 5 point harness
 Lexen front and side windows  Jaz window net
 Diest 200mph parachute  Roof Rails
 Aluminum adjustable rear wing
 Aluminum front bar extension
 Standard Pontiac front disc brake, drum rear
 15 x 4 steel rims with Moon discs
 Pontiac Trans Am aluminum 15” rims and tyres (travel wheels)
 Moroso DS2 Front Runners
 Aluminum Radiator  Bilstien Coil Overs
 Aluminum Fuel Cells mounted in front
 Chrome Molly ladder bars with rod ends
 Pedders Shocks and Springs in front
 9“ Diff, 28 spline axles, 2.48, 2.7 and 3.00 ratios
 4” thich walled tailshaft
 Rear Push Bar
 Removable Ballast

Parts For Sale
 Full manual 2 speed Powerglide Transmission with direct coupling to suit Chev $2000
 B&M Pro Stick shifter $250
 6/71 supercharger complete with SBC snout and idler $2,200
 Blower restraint $200
 RCI Transmission Blanket $200
 SBC Enderle aluminum timing cover to suit mechanical fuel pump $200
 Mechanical Fuel Pump extension 5 ½” $150
 Lakewood bellhousing scatershield to suit SBC $300
 Tilton triple plate clutch suit toploader or Holinger $1,500
 Flywheel SBC to Tilton $200 ono
Phone Jason 0438 572 743 or Nathan 0413 040 850

QLD Chapter Meeting
Don Noble
We had a meeting on Sunday 28th August. Turns out the meeting beat the notice to be put in the newsletter. So there was just a few of us. Chris Hanlon provided the venue, food and beer and I put on the meat. We had a discussion about pooling resources, which if we get it together would make life a bit easier. We also had a good spy session at Chris's other XP Falcon Ute with Toyota V8. Mathew Saunders and son (Fiat Topolino) will be there next year as will myself, but Bob Ellis is still scratching his head. Think Chris is still head scratching too. Leigh Russell we can't contact but if you read this Leigh, come out of hiding. We did contact or at least try to contact others, sorry if you missed out

Next get together - December 4th around midday, venue T.B.A. [W] 07 3276 8781 [H] 07 33799091 [M] 0413 546 380 [E] gsmbrisbane@hotmail.com

DLRA Video
There has been enormous interest in the various videos produced over the years and the DVD of the 2004 event was very popular. One of our members, Don Noble has decided to try and collect as much video footage as he can from any year to make a new video / DVD for the club as a fundraiser.
So all you budding cameramen, here's your big chance. All submissions will be very gratefully acknowledged.
For contributions Contact Don Noble, see details above.

Web Site Update
The website continues to go from strength to strength. The counter on the front page is showing 61361 visitors since June 1998 with a current daily average of 44 visitors.

The Speed Trials pages for each year have had a major revision with the result table now including previous class records and records set that year with links to the appropriate section of the class and records pages. So now you can see at a glance not only what speed each driver/rider achieved each year, but also what record they were aiming to break and what new records were set. There are now pages for each event up to 2010 with the newly announced dates.

In June there was a major update will an additional 40 drivers profile pages added, now bringing the total to 263. Each profile now boasts an updated drivers history and where available at least one photo (many profiles have lots of photos). These pages are made available to members for their own use, if you have some one you would like to thank (team members, sponsors, and even wives!) here is your chance, just send it in. The record page has also been updated, along with the Lake Gairdner pages and merchandise page.

The Forum continues to be a very popular and useful part of the site with 861 articles posted and 104 members. This is a great way to keep in contact with other members and find out what is going on.

Lastly if you have an email address let us know so that we can add you to the Mailing List, that way you will be kept up to date with all the latest information.

drylakesracersau@hotmail.com

Advertise with Us
The DLRA Newsletter a great low-cost way of advertising your business or product to a very active, focused market segment. There are 4 issues a year, plus a special souviner event issue, distributed to hundreds of members all over the world in hardcopy, on the Internet and via a members mailing list.

Contact the Newsletter Editor now
PO Box 349 Castlemaine VIC 3450
drylakesracersau@hotmail.com

==================================================================
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

JET HOT
The hottest in heat management coating
More power less heat, unmatched durability, great looks!

To order call 1800 700 HOT (468)
Free call or Tech Info (03) 5470 6416

Jet Hot Coating Australia
26 Elizabeth Street Caastlemaine VIC 3450
www.jet-hot.com.au

AUSSIE DESERT COOLER
Radiators and Replacement Cores
Made in Australia, by Australians, for Australians
3 year warranty, built to fit into existing support panels
350 Murrary Road Preston VIC 3072
Phone (03) 9470 4449 Fax (03) 94714446

CASTLEMAINE ROD SHOP
Pyrenees Highway, Chewton VIC Australia 3451
Tel (03) 5472 2853 Fax (03) 5472 1241
www.rodshop.com.au

DAWSONS TRUCK REFINISHING
Smash Repairs, Resprays, Insurance Work, Fleet Work, Sign Writing
9 Ashley Park Drv Chelsea Heights VIC 3196
Phone (03) 9776 2333

HOT ROD INTERNET
For all the latest news, event information and coverage, Hot Rod Swap Meet – buy and sell.
Now with the new Bench Racing forum, talk to 100’s of other rodders from all over the world.
http://www.hot-rod.com.au

ROBIN CSEH'S
SMOOTH METALLICS

Sculpting classics of the future from bronze, silver and gold
Investment castings for the finest detail, strength and tollerance

*Event Merchandise *medalions * Jewellery *Awards *Gifts
*Mascots *Artifact Restoration *Custom Sculpting Anything

1 Russell Street Springvale VIC 3171
Telephone 03 9546 6867

STAMPS HOT-ROD
COLOURED SEAT BELTS

Custom made to compliment your cars interior
For a free quotation and information
on our full range, contact

Neil and Desma Stamp

44 Browning Street, Kangaroo Flat 3555 Bendigo Victoria
Telephone (03) 5447 7555 Mobile 019 333 314
Technical Enquiries 6p.m. – 10 p.m. 7 days.

North Terrace Tyres
In Adelaide are now agents for cold fire ext systems. System costs around $900
Contact Domenic Lepro on
08 83624417 or
www.nttyres.com.au

Spa – Lite
Fire Suppression Systems
Available from
OG Speed Shop
65 Og Road Klemzig South Australia