who's game

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

hey rev all I have is some of the first model ( balsa / plaster ) made to conceptualised my ideas in 3D , dont have that fancy CAD stuff and even if I did no idea how to drive it with any confidence :cry:
anyway this is the basic shape , inspired by a fish in my tank near the puter

Gary
ben james

Post by ben james »

it's a mexican walking fish, i'm thinking you're planning to be lying on your stomach, saw it on an american motorcycle streamliner powered by a 50cc motor. i've got a dvd on it if you want a lend.
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

:lol:
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
momec

Post by momec »

Heh Hawk
If your gunna pick a fish pick a fast fish. I think barracuda is the fastest. Pretty good shape but theres no V8 option, (a bit to narrow)
Should suit your motor.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Good stuff Gary, looks way cool.

Much better than the yanks' streamliners of late which all seem somehow too boxy and characterless.

From what I read about aero, the thickest part should be about a third of the way from the front to be the best shape for slicing through the air without overt drag.

Having it closer to the front means a greater wetted area at the rear than is required to nicely bring the area back together again (or alternatively too blunt a nose).

It is a sliding scale though and I would hate to see that funky original look disappear for the sake of a theoretical percenatge point.

You are moving fast already...

rev H+
DLRA Member#412
Dr Goggles

Head

Post by Dr Goggles »

Where ya plannin' on puttin' ya head Gary? fore or aft?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

i dont recon he`s about to put his head up his `aft, :lol: :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
hawkwind racing

As ron states ( pun intended) :lol: one would reside at the highest / widest section , sitting Ben , just purchased (ebay) another hairdryer for the motor , and will go with mechanical injection (alky/nitro) ,but it will be a couple of years before it runs ,still have to play with the blown alky busa first
Gary
Dr Goggles

Fi shout of water

Post by Dr Goggles »

So , um Muddy Mudskipper, heh :lol: ? ...methanol/nitro , turbo .... :shock: ...mph!!!
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Hey Hawk,
As REV say's with design our widest section should be further up your ARFT, The biggest governing factors would be the crank width and head to pan hieght, are you planniing to place all your ponies forward of the front axle....????...
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
hawkwind racing

DirtyDave wrote:Hey Hawk,
As REV say's with design our widest section should be further up your ARFT, The biggest governing factors would be the crank width and head to pan hieght, are you planniing to place all your ponies forward of the front axle....????...

Dave the biggest governing factors are the width of my butt and how low I can seat myself :wink: the overall width/ height of the motor are less than my physical dimentions , the total width is 700mm ,height 750mm and length 4900 mm , the shape is governed by the wheel layout ,which for all intents is a triangle , 2 wheels at the front parallel to each other and in M/C guise 1 at the rear and in car mode 2 wheels one behind the other , to achieve dynamic balance/stability of this type of wheel layout ,the C of G must be no further than 35% rearward of the front axel ( it will spin before it tips ,pencil rolls) driver at the front and motor directly behind achieves this , aerodynamically the C of G will be forward ofthe C of P (good ) the shape is an elongated symentrical teardrop (vertical plain ) rounded bottom with 65mm ground clearance , length to width ratio is greater than 6:1 with a convergance angle of around 7 degrees which will promote a boundry layer that will stay attached and a Kamm tail to help with the total wetted area , at the moment its all models and mock ups and changes can be made without to much pain
Gary
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Bloody Hell, Mr Baker you are a beggar for punishment.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
BONES

Post by BONES »

excelent work Hawk. The race is on.Ev and I have a head start,we have a just rollerable chassis for a m/c liner .We will use the old gpz 900 to start. Hopefully join the 200 club.Like you there are a couple of other projects first. Happy welding.
Bones
hawkwind racing

bones ,did you end up buying bob's roller ?,Maj is looking at a streamliner as well
Gary
gazza414

Sky Rockets

Post by gazza414 »

He did Gary...he also is a beggar for punishment :lol:
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice