December Working Bee

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

Cookey

December Working Bee

Post by Cookey »

4 DLRA members, Rob Carroll, Peter Noy, Peter Warren & myself traveled to the Racer's Camp on Thursday 27th returning home on new years eve.
Rob and Pete Warren brought "Chateau Fuggly" an ex Channel 7 O.B. van over from Vic and one would have to say that it could possibly be classified as the camp's first high rise development :!: :!:
The camp has been over run with native vegetation since we were last there in March 07 and the dried out remains are very prickly and are hard to pull out. Plus they have very likely seeded for next wet season.
The screens in front of the toilet/shower blocks were straightened up and braced back to the buildings.
Club vehicles were checked over and given a run and the Dodge truck and Rodeo crew cab taken out of storage in the shearing shed as the Newtons (Mt Ive) need the area for sheep crutching etc.

We also checked on the condition of the lake and a separate report is being prepared by Rob Carroll so please feel free to pester the shit out of him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers for now,

Cookey
DLRA# 363
David Leikvold

Thanks fellas

Post by David Leikvold »

Thanks for your efforts gentlemen, those of us who live in far flung outposts of the colony would like to have been able to help but air fare and car hire was about a thousand bucks. I could buy a turbo and intercooler for that. See you in March. The salt looks good.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Cooky
l realise the report from Rob might take a while but would l be correct in saying the salt looks hard and flat and every chance we will be racing.

Thanks and your right that bus is fuggly.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Affirmative Chris,
Will make another trip to the lake on Saturday Feb 9th to carry out further tests and a final announcement will then be made.
There is still some water moving around at the bottom end of the lake but it is only a couple of inches deep and should evaporate in the next few weeks.
The salt has recovered from last years flooding & is very hard and relatively smooth.

Cheers

Cookey
hawkwind racing

please explain

Post by hawkwind racing »

relativly smooth :shock: please explain , for us fools who run zero suspension ,other wise the salt is looking bloody good ,all stops out to get something to race by march :D
cheers
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Top pickies Cookie monster! Love the shot of our retired timer (is he now an OLD TIMER??) Good job guys. Cheers, Bob.#66 C/GCC.
Rob Carroll

Post by Rob Carroll »

Thought I might add some more info to what Cookey put on yesterday.We checked the lake friday morning Dec 28 and found water approx 1 inch deep from 1 mile to 3.5 mile. We checked again saturday Dec 29 midday, northerly wind 40+ temp, more water blown from north . No water 3.25 mile to 4.5 mile. Water north and south of there. Still about the same depth. Had another look at ramp in the evening and found 4inches of water at ramp tapering to nil about 400 yards out. Salt was wet but not too soft, taking about 10 hits on the probe to penetrate 1inch. Sunday morning Dec 30 9.00 am and evening 7.00 pm still much the same.

I hope these photo's give you a clear look at the condition of the lake.

Rob Carroll
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Rob
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Norm

Post by Norm »

Picks look great but looks like there is still a lot of water on the lake from Robs picks.

I like Cookeys picks better :D :D :D

So what does this all mean?

Well looks like we have to wait till Feb to get an update on the lake

Norman
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

When we were out on the lake on the Saturday you could actually see the water moving around quite a bit depending on the wind strength and its direction.
The water was supersaturated with salt (Good) and if you put your hands in it you could actually see the salt crystals in suspension.
I am monitoring the weather observations for Tarcoola at the north western end of the lake, Woomera and Nonning which is about half way into Mt Ive Station and with daytime temps around the 40 degree mark and variable winds and NO RAIN
All 4 of the DLRA members who were at the lake are 95%+ positive that precluding rains in the area in the next few weeks we will have a top surface to prep for Speedweek 08.
Cheers,

Cookey
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Thanks for the update guy's.
March is looming quike & I can't wait, as I'm sure everyone esle is the same.
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au