Speedweek volunteers

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

Reverend Hedgash

Speedweek volunteers

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

I know each year a hell of a lot is done by too few volunteers.

I am starting this forum to generate a list of those interested and for those in the know to suggest tasks that can be done and when.

so:

1)What tasks are required to be done over the week?
2)Who is interested in helping out?

I would like to put up my hand now to say I would like to volunteer my services for something during the week, say three mornings or afternoons of helping at the start line or something!

I am taking turns driving our Belly Tank with Dr G and so will need to rotate around that.

We'll be camping at the spectator camp so maybe something there with the shower block?

The more we start to organise this and get commitments NOW the less will fall onto the usual few at the event.

Reverend H+
DLRA Member#412
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Rev see
http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729
1) gives a rundown on tasks and who to contact
2) viewed 252 times and no response or offers so its not a popular topic

I hope that all teams /individules and specators ,pitch in and offer help in the many tasks that need doing to make speed week happen :)
Gary
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Hi Rev'
Gary Baker is supposedly putting together a list of jobs (get ya finger out Gaz) Speedweek is near :!: :!:
The spectators camp at the lake is not the responsibility of DLRA.
Mt Ive Station charge the camping fees and are expected to service the ablution block etc.
For those who can get to the lake early there will be plenty of track prep work to do as there is still some embedded debris on the lake surface that will need to be collected and removed from the lake.
The emptying and servicing of the portable toilets is an ongoing job that albeit somewhat unsavory is never the less essential.
I have heard that our founding member and "Camp Commandant" Andy Jenkins may be fielding a racer this year and his duties will most likely take 4 people to fill :!: :!:
Lets all make a concerted effort to spread the workload around so we can enjoy the breaking of the "Speed Drought"

Cheers,

Cookey
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

Hi Cookey.
I will be there for track setup and pull down at end of race week
And will also be doing the clocks with you will be fun im sure.
The more help the better race week will be ,more help more racing.Cant wait.The whole event is run by volunteers if no one volunteers no event in the end.Dont forget the people that work all year round for this awsome week.................................. :o
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
team leader

volunteers

Post by team leader »

I'm hoping and expecting to be there as a spectator at some stage this meet and will be available to help in any capacity. I'm still trying to tee up a lift to and from Perth though - can anyone help me with that?
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

Big G and I will be helping out where we can. Whether it's joining timing wire together again or on the start line. We'll find something to do.

Please bear in mind that there is an official "Assistant Starters Club" made up of members from Brisbane. When Cled decides to chuck it in the oldest member with the worst hearing will be selected to take over! :lol:

Tell you what. The easy part of going down the Lake is geting approval for the time off. The hard part is finding someone to take the blame while I'm away.

Lynchy
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Lynchy wrote:Rev

Big G and I will be helping out where we can. Whether it's joining timing wire together again or on the start line. We'll find something to do.

Please bear in mind that there is an official "Assistant Starters Club" made up of members from Brisbane. When Cled decides to chuck it in the oldest member with the worst hearing will be selected to take over! :lol:

Tell you what. The easy part of going down the Lake is geting approval for the time off. The hard part is finding someone to take the blame while I'm away.

Lynchy

That means i,m heir apparent to Cled . That means I can get older and grumpier , also fall asleep mid-conversation . Wow and get the keys to the beloved OVLOV Volvo
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
outbacktrev

Volunteer duties

Post by outbacktrev »

Gary Brennan and myself will be taking on the duties of DLRA camp water, Diesel and electricity monitors & Communications :shock: There will also be others assisting in this roll ( I hope :lol: )
Water is very much at a premium, at the DLRA camp, and it would be appreciated if people were conscious of that and conserved water as much as possible :wink: If you see somebody wasting water please advise them its not on :evil:
Electricity is also limited and should be used for refridgeration and lighting where possible. :wink: Gas cooking is preferred. :idea: Yes some humpy's have airconditioning and this gets turned off in peak load situations (breakfast and teatime) :roll: The HWS also gets swicthed on and off, to balance load on phases from time to time.
Nobody notices this it just gets done to try and keep the old genset happily balanced between phases. This gets managed by the few sparkies up there behind the scenes :wink:
My info says Andy (ex camp commandant) has a racer and will be racing this year so as mentioned by the Cookster the portable toilets will need "servicing". Not the most glorious job but none the less needs to be done. I'm told its not that bad (if you are careful! :oops: )
The main toilet/shower blocks will probably need a mop each day, there should be a mop and bucket in each block, feel free to swing the mop around if you feel so inclined.
General tidiness off the camp needs to be improved and its been suggested if we all took a bit of rubbish, excess material away (maybe bring a trailer up if you are not towing anything else) with us when we leave, the camp would be much tidier for the effort. :idea: (Thank you Mr Brennan)
Haven't even touched on the track setup but I will leave that part to the more knowledgable in that area. :roll:
RUBBISH is to be taken out with you, there are NO RUBBISH disposal facilties at the DLRA camp please make allowance for this and take out what you bring in. :!:
Cheers,
Trevor #298
See Ya in March :D
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Good writeup Trevor! Me & my crew will look after the servicing of the old faithfull Dodge truck, as before (I have to talk to RC about what oil,filters etc,are in stock),this will happen Fri arvo (early Sat at the very latest!)Track setout needs people to nail down markers (over many miles) , run cables ,(Cookey will probably be in charge as OLDtimer is racing this year.But i.m sure Pete will still be involved.),move timing & start caravans down to salt & set up (There are 3 fire ext's to install on start van),put up mile markers,mark return road,set up pit area,scrut/admin tents,dunnies & stuff etc,etc etc,The more that gets done on Sat & Sun (which requires people and vehicles),so that scrut & admin chores can start ASAP , the more chance of racing starting 1st up Mon.Something that (i think?) our glorious ElPresedente said a while ago (or something like it), it's not their club,or those guys club,etc etc etc,it's EVERY DLRA members club!We are expecting record entries this year , so lets put in a record effort to make it happen. Cheers, Bob. #66 C/GCC.
540ci

Post by 540ci »

I will help out where I can. More than happy to!
momec

Post by momec »

Ok I'm in the assistant starters club and intend to spend whatever time I'm not racing in that capacity or help orginisation in that general area.

I also plan on turning up Sat (blessed bus willing) and helping Bobs crew marking return roads or whatever job is passed my way.

l would like to spend a few hours in the timing van to find out how my opponent works and how we can better streamline run times. l think we can and we must continually decrease our run times and this will require well tuned team work between timer, starter, and the rescue crews as well as well educated competitors so everyone knows their responsibilty.
This will ensure the maximum possible runs for the week.

Please every competitor attend the drivers briefing and take in all the detail of the startline procedure. If you have any queries at any time talk to Cled, Matthew, Don, Lynch or myself. Ask how you can help get more runs in for the week.

Make no mistake l will be racing and this is my first priority for the week.
I have a couple of years of speed camera'itis l neeeeed to get out of my system so don't stand in front of the grey ute.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

The number 1 way to streamline the event is to educate short course competitors to turn off as soon as possible after the short course clocks , instead of heading for Woomera. also, if they are waiting for a tow vehicle, stop well clear of the track , not next to it , as often happens. The sooner the track is clear, the sooner the next vehicle can be started. Pete.
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

Hi Pete :) .
I agree, as lots of short course competitors ran the long course in 06,
as i saw with you in the van. Each (1) held things up for approx 15min
each time. Hope it`s better in 08.
Good luck with all in the next 2 to 3 weeks for you both
look forward to seeing you in march.
love your user name.... :D :D :D
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
momec

Post by momec »

Pete and Stan
Thanks guys. You are 100% correct and we may need animal to police the long runners and have them educated.
This sort of time wasting can't be allowed if everyone wants a fair go.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Correct radio procedure would also alleviate the need to resend messages numerous times, :idea: also saving time and confusion. :cry: I know background noise is an issue near noisy engines etc but correct radio procedure in meant to help minimise misinterpretations of messages. :wink:
OLDtimer will agree with this statement being a CFS volunteer, and using various radio systems the PHONETIC alphabet SHOULD be used for official radio transmissions to minimise confusion.
The PHONETIC alphabet is NOT difficult and is a world standard for English speaking countries. :!:
Just my 20cents worth.
If some of the ideas are utuilised in this thread I am sure time wasting could be minimised and the business of RACING would be enhanced and people would be able to do more of what they went up to the Lake to do, RACE :D
Just an observation from a NON racer :cry:
Bobby Friday night Horsedoovers at the Vincent camp. Formal dress required :roll:

Cheers,
Trevor