why was the "street" class dropped?

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

mint29

why was the "street" class dropped?

Post by mint29 »

I'm new, and I'm sure the old hands know the answer.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

going to have to ask the car blokes about that one , as a guess ,insurance or safety issues ?
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Mint29 & Gaz , No more street class (as of '07) due to safety! All vehicles are to fit into an existing class , as per rule book! All rules to be followed , eg, rollcage,fire systems,belts,helmets,firesuits,tires,rims,etc,etc,etc! Cheers, Bob, #66 C/GCC.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

I still believe we should have street class , as its an easy entry level into the sport . Several have used street class to see what salt lake racing is like without spending plenty to find out thats what they want to do . ( me thinks John Lynch started in a stock Holden Statesman in street class )
As far as I can remember there havent been any incidents racing street class , due to lack of safety equipment required in other classes .
I believe the SCTA still runs a 130 mph class , similar to our street class , not sure on what equipment is require , i must have a read up on that one .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Don

They do have a 130 mph bracket. Not sure what gear they need as well. There is a bloke in the US with a Jag XJS that will be competing in it!!

Lynchy
mint29

Post by mint29 »

DON NOBLE wrote:I still believe we should have street class , as its an easy entry level into the sport . Several have used street class to see what salt lake racing is like without spending plenty to find out thats what they want to do . ( me thinks John Lynch started in a stock Holden Statesman in street class )
As far as I can remember there havent been any incidents racing street class , due to lack of safety equipment required in other classes .
I believe the SCTA still runs a 130 mph class , similar to our street class , not sure on what equipment is require , i must have a read up on that one .

That's why I asked. Not long after I joined, I saw that 'Street' class had been dropped. I had intended taking my street-driven FX holden to the lake and give it a run.

I understand the safety issues, but obviously 'street' cars had run for the last 10 years, and are an excellent entry level option.

BTW - the off-street class at the drags is always popular, and cars can run there with a minimum of safety equipment.

Now I'll probably just go to watch.