hawkwind racing

new timing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Any one know how the new radio (wireless) timing trial went ,if at all
cheers
Gary
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

The wireless timing equipment has not been tested at the lake as yet :!: but Mr Carroll may add more info. :wink:
Cheers,
Trevor
Rob Carroll

Post by Rob Carroll »

The bloke who owns the wireless timing equipment will not be able to attend Speed Week in march as he will be at the clipsal 500 in adelaide timing that event. (This is my prefered time to test it while our timing is also set up.)BUT, as I have only had two (2) members comment in the positive to what I wrote about a two track system for race week in the newsletter and not one comment or suggestion as to how to overcome any of these problems it seems to me that all we need is the single track we now have using our own timing equipment and not go to any extra expense by using the wireless system.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Going by the ammount of runs ( around 2000 ) they get thru at Bonneville on 2 tracks , surely we should have no probs with around 4-500 runs on a single track . If we can improve our operating procedures it should negate the need for 2 x tracks . new procedures will be operation this year so lets see how that goes .
Now back to the wireless timing system , that seems like a sure way of reducing setup time , lets weigh up the cost and time factor . As most know a lot of time was lost untangling timing wires in 2006 .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Norm

Post by Norm »

I agree with Don. If we look back and look at all the problems with the timing gear well what can I say. Flat batterys, bad conections etc.

I think its time that we look at a new system either being wireless or what ever. It may be to late for this year but something has to be done.

We all need to work smarter and make things easy for everyone so that we are all happy campers. :D :D :D :D

One of the things that I would like to see happen is that we look at all our problems and develop an action plan to fix the issues and not just leave it to a few people.

This may require small groups to get together and look at issues and report back to committee on there findings. I bet there are a few people out there that would love to help out with theses type of issues.

Well not long now and I can wait to get back to the salt for my salt fix. :D :D

Norman
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Clipsal is a week before speedweek, how long would it take to setup the timing system on a pre marked course ??

I for one was looking forward to the 2 track system,
At the time it was proposed i thought the FIM timing equipment made up the needed extra wiring and sensors.

From the people i have been talking to and the salt come up in conversation, i get the feeling there will be a large number of rookies this year, and even a dedicated licencing track will be a help
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

All the FIM left us was a small amount of very thin wire, no sensors or anything else. Our current timing equipment was valued at around $30,000 US when we aquired it some 10 years and to duplicate it now would cost much more, let alone the logistics of running another track & finding people to set up & pack up . We need to concentrate on running 1 track more efficiently before we tackle a second. Judging by the lack of response Rob recieved to his article in the newsletter , it would seem that noone is interested in a second track anyway. As far as wireless timing is concerned, it would be fantastic, but i believe ( & someone may know otherwise) that it was tried at Bonneville unsuccessfully & they have reverted to wires. Pete.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Here here "Old Timer" (And a Bonny New Daddy to Boot" :lol: :lol: :lol:
All jokes aside we are a volunteer organization made up of people who are passionate about land speed racing and the ongoing success of our endeavors depends entirely on our members and the much needed help from those who make the trek to the "Big White Dyno".
Please do not come to the lake and expect that you will find facilities and back up that you may find at any other motor racing event.
What we have is unique and we aim to keep it that way :!: :!: :!:

See Ya at the Lake 08
momec

Post by momec »

Clipsal is before our event and Eastern Creek runs the weekend we leave the lake so l presume that would negate any chance of a test.
Personally just because the yanks have tried wireless "and it did'nt work " does not mean we should not try it. Ours may or may not be a totally different deal to what they have tried and if it did work for us long term the advantages would be tremendous.

Rob, l don't think we can make a value judgement on two tracks till we run this years event and find out what we can push thru on one track. We are'nt sure how big we've grown yet and this will only get bigger each year.

l think we are better looking at running 1 track for longer hours, shorter or no lunch break, earlier start later finish etc.

All of these things have the " but if " factor and will need more volunteers etc to work. Fire/rescue?
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Marty Hicks

Post by Marty Hicks »

I went to Bonneville last August for Speedweek... They certainly rip thru the runs. AJ and I watched at the start line as cars were leaving every 2mins or so on the alternate tracks. Very efficient.....BUT, as Mr Hanlon pointed out, they have a massive volunteer effort behind them.

2008 a suck-it-and-see year? Try to get as many of the members to get involved with the operation as we can and a single track will work.
The yanks were right on to people who were slowing things down, like pissing about on the start line or slow to clear the track ( or even stopping mid track). Keep on top of these type of issues and train up relief workers so we dont stop for breaks should keep one track cracking.
MEMBER #439
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Yes the fire rescue and start guys are hard to find numbers for to do shifts, you would think with all the hurry up and wait there would be time to assist but the last time i had much free time on the salt was when i killed an engine my first year.
Am planning however to leave a day early and stay a day late so i can at least help in some way.
David Leikvold

hurry up!

Post by David Leikvold »

If some people are inadvertently wasting time at the start line (car won't run cleanly, belts aren't done up or whatever) why not run two queues? That way if the guy whose turn it is is too slow the other guy gets the run first. That way there should always be one car ready to go anytime and minimal time wasted.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

I think they use that two lane system at Bonneville. I seem to remember reading it in "Full Gainer in a Firebird" in Car and Driver many years ago. Perhaps someone could confirm this for us. If our fire & rescue volunteers were also able to tow dead cars well off the track to the edge of the return road that would help speed things up a bit. The crew for that car could then come and get them without disrupting proceedings.
And it would give the fire crews something else useful to do.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

My name is David Pluckhahn and I live in the Riverland South Australia and have just finished my vehicle ready for this year. I am one of those many new comers to this type of racing and like Greg mentioned it would be good to have a licencing course so myself and many others are not holding up you seasoned campaigners. In my dealings with the drag racing scene I met a bloke from Timetronics by the name of Ian. He was hiring out his porta tree timing system to us so we could hold our events. Im sure this man is more than capable of producing something for the club at a reasonable cost.
momec

Post by momec »

Sorry Plucka, there are no ducks on our lake, seen the odd roo and a coupla seagull but you'll be plumb outa luck for a duck pluck. :lol: :lol:

Welcome aboard, what you driving?
Chris
Acme Racing #251