would you attend

one time only
41%
2/3 times per year
59%

Total votes: 32

hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

good stuff blokes keep those votes comming as it gives me something I can take to any future meeting , I think that if it happens it wont be real soon , as I get any more info I will post it here . Rob any help is good I will keep you in mind as soon as I have more details ,hopefully something before the next AGM ?
cheers
Gary
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

We had a scooter run at Dubbo in 2005 which had about 200 people. There is a big pub Castlereagh Hotel(?) which has a stage area for events and a fairly good pub area. It also has a great balcony where you can drink and watch the locals. There is also a big campsite in town which is about 15 minutes walk away.

Dubbo is a pretty good venue, only downside is that the locals can get a bit out of hand at night (smashing windows etc) and it also means that the teams of cops patrol the pubs every few minutes.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
hawkwind racing

Righto ,I have recieved a reply back from the local car club ( see emails below ) I appears that it will be a fight to the death with the "aerodrome users " who will resort to any means to stop motorsport on THEIR runway ,but the owners (local council ) have the final say ,speaking to Phill ,the combined car club membership is not great enough in numbers or clout to persuade the council to override the aerodrome users objections , to persuade council we would have to convince them a MAXTON type event would be benificial to the community ,I expect this means financially profitable in an amount greater than the income derived by the present users ,I have spoken to Haddy who believes it is worthwhile to try and set up and I will speak to Rob Carroll tomorow night to get his opinions , I want it also brought up in general business at the next annual meeting to gauge interest and seek support to procure the site , so the next step is to put our money where our mouths are and get behind a concerted push to get an "AUSSIE MAXTON" up and running
narromine runway‏ .

Sent: Wednesday, 2 April 2008 8:18:55 PM
To: dpjonesandson@bigpond.com.au

G'day Phill
Gary here from the DLRA (salt lake racers ) after my enquiry on wednesday night about the use of bodangera airport you blokes used for drag racing ,you suggested I send an email explaining what we are after ,well I represent the NSW chapter of the DLRA (dry lake racers Australia ) ,we are seeking a runway to use for test & tune meets ,as the lake we race on has not been usable for the last 2 years , you suggested Narromine airport ,what im after is how we go about hiring this airport for motorsport use and who we approach for permission ,any help would be appreciated ,what we need is the use of the full runway for 1 or 2 days (weekends ) probally 2 times per year , we have experience in conducting speed trials ,as a rough guess there would be as little as 10 vehicles up to 30+ wishing to use the facility for testing and tune , I can get more accurate figures if we could use this facility ,also if the runway proved to be good enough there is also the possibility of trying to conduct speed trials on a perminant basis at least 2 times per year and this would be what we hope could eventuate ,this could prove to be a popular event and something that would bring racers , spectators and $$ for the town and local businesses .
thanks for any assistance your car club could provide in making this happen .
Cheers
gary Baker (DLRA)

Use of Narromine Aerodrome by DLRA‏
Sent: Monday, 7 April 2008 11:33:07 AM
To: lsr350@hotmail.com
Cc: dpjonesandson@bigpond.com

G’day Gary,

Your e-mail to Phil Jones of Dubbo and Narromine Car Clubs was presented to last Friday nights meeting of Narromine Car Club, and there is quite a bit of interest and support for the idea of using the Narromine Aerodrome for testing/tuning and possibly speed trials, however we would need some more information regarding how your events are run, sanctioned and insured.

As some background, Dubbo City Car Club and Narromine Car Club have been negotiating with Narromine Council to use the aerodrome for Drag Racing. We have looked at a couple of options, but have had a few obstacles to overcome. Our original proposal was to use the existing runway, but the aerodrome users objected to us closing down the runway, even for single day drag events. A proposal was then put to the council to use a 600m decommissioned runway at the end of the strip. Due to CASA requirements, this proved to be unsuitable also, because we would still have needed to close the runway during events. We have now sought to seal and use an old taxiway that would have no impact on the running of the aerodrome, and are now awaiting Council’s reply.

The Narromine Car Club members would be happy to make representations to council on your behalf, as we can see it would be complimentary to our Drag Racing activities, but we would like to be armed with as much information as possible before making such an approach.

Can you please give us a brief description of how events are run (e.g. paired or solo passes, intervals between runs, emergency personnel required, Ambulance etc). Also if your sanctioning body has any rules or guidelines for tracks and the distances you need for timed distances, braking & runoff areas etc. We would also require information as to the level of insurances you hold for competitors and public liability.

The only area available at Narromine Aerodrome that would have sufficient length for your activities would be the main E-W runway (1.5km + 600m Decommissioned), and I can tell you now that the Aerodrome Users will not approve closing the aerodrome. That does not mean it cannot be overcome, but we will have to convince Council that the benefits to the community would outweigh the Users concerns.

Send us some more info, and we will see what we can do.

Regards

Craig (TINY) Leven

Phone: (02) 6841 4209

e-mail: craigl@sf.nsw.gov.au

well blokes we all have to dig in to make this happen :)
cheers
Gary
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good stuff Gary,

Did he/they mention just what the "airodrome users concerns" were?

Assumedly the inability to use the runway but anything else?

Cheers,
Rob
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

i have been advised that the owners (narromine shire council) do not have the final say, although thay can be very iffluencial in who gets to use it :wink: . narromine is a registered runway, therefore it comes under the control of airservices australia, and it is thay who say yae or na :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
hawkwind racing

lets do it

Righto any blokes out there want to assist in getting this off the ground ,the more the merrier , first contact has been made ,now is the time to put it all into action ,let me know if you want to help within the next week, I dont want to do it all myself
cheers
Gary
Rob

Post by Rob »

Check your PMs Gary,

Cheers,
Rob
ben james

Post by ben james »

what time of year would we be looking at gaz
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
hawkwind racing

under way

well 1 interested member to assist in getting this this off and running .
I have sent an email to dubbo car club indicating there is enough interest from DLRA members to get serious and have asked for a formal meeting to dicuss a plan on getting this runway ,I also will want to check the physical condition of the runway to make sure its suitable for our purposes , when I recieve a reply I will set a date and hopefully a couple of members can attend ,
Ben no idea at present will depend on many things
cheers
gary
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Gary
I was the President of the Riverland Motorsport for a fair while and the reason for the comment is that I had a lot to do with making the Monaro Nationals happen in our area in November 2006, which Im told by the S.A Monaro club that it was a huge success. I dealt with Council (who own the air strip and source it out to learn to fly and a gliding club) and the Civil Aviation Authority and we ran 1/8th mile drags to sweeten the deal for the host Monaro club. Your right when you say that it won't happen any time soon, but I'm willing to help you and who ever in making it happen. It will need some one close by to liaise with the agencies involved.

Remember me saying about wanting to run the Monaro at Woomera for some testing well still working on that but did run it a couple of weeks ago on the above air strip that I mentioned. Awesome but very short. 980 metres long just hit third 125 mph @4200 rpm ran out of road and had get on the brakes.
hawkwind racing

plucka any help would be gladly accepted ,Ill keep you in the loop
cheers
Gary
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Gary,

Any movement to date on Narromine?

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.