Norms roadster record.

Moderator: DLRA

nitro-nige

Norms roadster record.

Post by nitro-nige »

I was looking through the records from speedweek at Bonneville.
Apparently the record Norm was chasing (A/GR) got bumped from 236.741mph to 253.449mph.
That's one fast brick.

Also of note with the roadsters was BMR racing. They didn't back it up but they ran 291.113mph in C/FR. An even faster brick!!
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

An interesting write up by Norm in Crusin Magazine. Will be interesting to read the full report on the story. I wonder if Castrol was happy ?

Edited note October 4th: Was Castrol happy ? I would like to know as it appears some one took my posted message above out of context :? . I am sure Castrol was very happy with all Norm and crew have done to promote Castrol and the DLRA at Bonneville. :D
Member DLRA 112.
holden1

Re: Norms roadster record.

Post by holden1 »

Gee i wouldn't be :cry:
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

holden1 wrote:Gee i wouldn't be :cry:
Why not ? Castrol got some great publicity out of it all.
Member DLRA 112.
holden1

Post by holden1 »

I read a flathead got over 300 mph!!!!! Hasn't that roadster got a million dollar BB Ford :shock:
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

holden1 wrote:I read a flathead got over 300 mph!!!!! Hasn't that roadster got a million dollar BB Ford :shock:
Yes that is correct a Flathead did go over 300mph but simply that has nothing to do with publicity with Castrol and what Norm his doing. Simple answer is Norm has support from Castrol and they are supporting a DLRA member and it is a win win situation as Norm gets support from Castrol, Castrol gets publicity and we as the DLRA get good publicty from it all as well.

Building a 300 MPH car is not something you can do easily. :D
Member DLRA 112.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

And how many years and meetings has it taken that flathead to get to that stage of development, were always going to be behind in development with our mostly one meeting a year .
A record is an exception not the rule and the journey toward personal goals more inportant
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

Could not have said that any better.
Member DLRA 112.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Even more important would be to compare the vehicles in which either engine reside. I'd be surprised if Norms roadster could eclipse 200mph with that flathead in it. :roll:
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
FIL

Post by FIL »

Greg Watters wrote:And how many years and meetings has it taken that flathead to get to that stage of development, were always going to be behind in development with our mostly one meeting a year .
A record is an exception not the rule and the journey toward personal goals more inportant
Not to mention, as the Americans who've come here have found out, our air is not the same as their air... Bonneville is about 4000ft higher than Lake Gairdner, which is bad for power but good for wind resistance... Huge effort from Norm and the team just to get the car to the states and onto the salt, with that 200mph pass being the icing on the cake...
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Hello Fil
Welcome aboard, your right.
Anyone who slips over 200mph regardless of the circumstance requires respect.

Chris
Chris
holden1

Post by holden1 »

Sorry if i upset anyone, i was just saying that with all that corporate $$$$$ and BB horsepower it would go nearly as fast as a flathead, i mean my 202 will smoke a flathead
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

holden1 wrote:Sorry if i upset anyone, i was just saying that with all that corporate $$$$$ and BB horsepower it would go nearly as fast as a flathead, i mean my 202 will smoke a flathead
You should also respect the fact that the corporate dollars you mention also give us more respect as DLRA members.
The fact a company like Castrol can see value in Norms Race car as a potential rolling advertisment for the Castrol name and the fact so many other things have to be taken into account lke others have mentioned above. Not easy to build a car to race on Lake Gairdner then also transport it to Bonnevile and race under very different conditions.
Member DLRA 112.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Norm was fighting the variance in altitude the whole time he was there. He told us that he ended up tuning the car for a certain altitude and then waited for the conditions to come to him.

Lynchy
holden1

Post by holden1 »

Please don't take what i have written as any form of abuse or badmouthing about norm, i see from all the responses he has a lot of friends here, and have heard he puts in a lot to the sport everyone says he's a lovely fellow, just looks scary :shock: maybe he should get sponsorship from Wilkinson sword i bet they would hand over BIG dollars :lol: :lol: :lol:
i've seen him a couple of times but its been late and they close the blue oyster bar early on fridays so never got to talk to him in person (just slipped notes between the bars) anyway if he ever needs a hand or a lone of a hot 202 he can pm me :D