Review of 1993

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Review of 1993

Post by DLRA »

Manfred Lindmayer ran in B/PRO, what sort of car was it?
Rex Nesbit and Peter Willmer nominated A/AG as the class for their car, but this is wrong, does anyone know what the car was? Or like to have a better stab at a class?
Burnie Kelly and Greg Zwar were back with what I am assuming was the roadster with some new sheet metal attached to it, running in XF/GL class, so it was a Lakester, but does anyone have a better description?
Did Paul Greaves share the Jeremy Nunn 1928 Ford Roadster?
I'm pretty sure that Wayne Mumford would have also driven the 1927 Ford Roadster with Geoff Rea?
Peter Byron drove a car in XO/PP class, any deails on this one?
Ray Tully and Pete Noy looked to have shared a car running E/PRO, what was it?
Did Bill Heeremans also drive the Gary Tate 1934 Ford Roadster?
Michael Zachilow and Glynn Pearce also drove in E/PRO class was this the same car as that driven by Ray and Pete?

No motorbikes this year!
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Dr Goggles

Re: Review of 1993

Post by Dr Goggles »

DLRA wrote: Burnie Kelly and Greg Zwar were back with what I am assuming was the roadster with some new sheet metal attached to it, running in XF/GL class, so it was a Lakester, but does anyone have a better description?
No OEM frame or body allowed in Special Construction............so it can't be a lakester if it has a roadster frame or body.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
graham

Post by graham »

The rules make no mention not being allowed to use a production frame.
The rules say no modified production body, but I wonder how much production bodywork was actually on thier lakester.
Graham
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hi Graham, where are you from? I see you are a new member. Were you associated with Greg and Bernie's car?
graham wrote:The rules make no mention not being allowed to use a production frame.
The rules say no modified production body, but I wonder how much production bodywork was actually on thier lakester.
Graham
"Modified production bodies are forbidden."

I reckon I could mount a pretty good argument that if you used the chassis for anything other than donor rails that it would breach the rules. Lakester is in SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION. The failure of the rules to define between chassis ,bodywork and frame by just referring to body would make it pretty waterproof against interpretting an OEM frame,chassis or body as a lakester. when they say body I'm pretty sure they are referring to that which isn't the drive-train, or wheels.

It's reasonably clear that special construction is for purpose built race-cars, therefore I'd be surprised if they'd entertain an appeal on the rule........as it is the basis of what the class is about.

I'm pretty sure I saw that was the car I saw at Bernie's museum in Harrow in 2009 on the way to the salt. If what you take to the salt used to be a vehicle, then it's probably not a lakester under the rules.

I'm not being disparaging about their car or efforts, far from it, but as more people join the club and we adhere more closely to the SCTA rules these issues need to be clarified and I know for sure it wouldn't float at Bonneville.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Was that the gold coloured car that used a pair of 40 model Ford bonnets to form the top and bottom halves of a nose cone? I remember seeing it a few times in Australian Street Rodding Speedweek coverage but never saw it in the flesh so I can't comment on the chassis origins.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Yes David
This was it in 1993

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
graham

Post by graham »

Hi Doc ,
no I'm not a new member (of DLRA), but am a newish member of this forum. I am from Adelaide.
I've been a member since about the time the lakester in question ran at Lake G. I have nothing to do with the crew that ran it. It seems to me that it would be harsh to say it was not a lakester because it had production based body ,when I am sure no one has proof that is in fact the case. Unless I'm mistaken (a definite possibility) ,the well known Kenz and Leslie streamliner in the USA was based on a production chassis, and no one would be suggesting that is not a streamliner.
So that makes 2 posts in about 20 years of club membership. I had better get back to working on my liner. My typing speed is frustratingly even slower than my efforts in the garage.
Graham.
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Manfred Lindmayer ran a Pontiac Firebird, same model as in Smokey & the Bandit . Ray Tully ran an HD Holden in '93, I ran an XY Falcon that year in the same class. Mick Zachilow & Glynn Pierce both also drove Ray's car. Paul Greaves & Jeremy Nunn did share the roadster. With our limited knowledge in '93, the Kelly/Zwar car was classed as a lakester. I am also fairly sure Wayne Mumford drove the Rea/Weir/Mumford car. Peter Byron drove Lindsay Wilson's FX Holden ute. Peter Wilmer & Rex Nesbit ran a Suzuki motor cycle, but the nominated class of A/AG makes no sense to me either.(we knew nothing or motor cycle classes in those days). Have a read of Aust Street Rodding # 91- July '93 for pics of most of these vehicles. And yes Greg, there was a motorbike that year! Hope this helps, Pete Noy. DLRA #6.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Ah, good to hear Graham.

The rules have changed since the Kenz and Leslie was running.It's one of my favorites along with the Batchelor designed Shadoff Special.

Looking at Bernie's car again I wouldn't bet very much on my previous argument as from those shots it could well be a scratch ,purpose built job....but if Greg's contention is correct that it used to be a roadster...then it is out of the running.

Hurry up and finish your liner, and take photos of it and put them on the .....oh hang on I just realised who you are. Sorry Graham, I just realised we met at Mangalore . Anyway, get some shots of the liner up and get it finished.

Good to have you here.