Final Track Layout for 2010

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

DON NOBLE

Re: "The gps track is for up to 170 MPH"

Post by DON NOBLE »

Cookey wrote:There will have to be some consideration given to having a cut off point on the short course where the competitor must "Lift Im Foot" so as not to find ones self in deep sh*t when one finds that there is no braking area left

Why are we proposing to run up to 170 MPH on the short course when this is supposed to be a means to get drivers/riders qualified quicker and therefore I see no sense or reason that the speed be set so high :
.... Drivers will have to back off at the end ( or before ) of the short course ,whether its 2 or 3 miles . After that there is up toanother 1 mile before turning out . That is sufficient for the speeds expacted on the short couse ......

My belief is that should a competitor attain their B class license on the short course their next run would logically be on the long or timed course.
We will als be conducting licensing runs on the main course during the early part of Speedweek and when deemed appropriate.

We need to have the operating procedure for the short course decided upon as soon as possible and a comprehensive set of notes compiled for all entrants that can either be sent out with pre entry confirmation and or made available at race registration so we all know what is happening on the day.

Drivers will have to back off at the end ( or before ) of the short course ,whether its 2 or 3 miles . After that there is up toanother 1 mile before turning out . That is sufficient for the speeds expacted on the short couse ......

.... yes to me 170 mph is an odd figure , maybe this means licensing speeds above that are meant to be done on the long course . . could somebody from the new course committee clarify this ...
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

Im with Cookey, on this issue it seems 2 fast the way it reads :!:
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
Rob Carroll

Post by Rob Carroll »

Part (or most) of the problem here is that the members that elected themselves to the two track committee at the meeting at Norms in May are not communicating with each other very well nor with the members on the forum. Oldtimer is on this committee and has had no email contact since June. I feel that the question of who runs on which track will sort itself out easily as competitors get to the start line. I also think every competitor should be allowed at least one run on the timed course during the week, even if they are less than 150 MPH or are not running for a record. This way they will have at least one official timing slip to take home and boast about.
Hey Cookie I vote to elect you to write the operating procedure for the GPS track.
Cheers Rob Carroll President DLRA #12
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Heres a few figures I have dug out from this years results

Vehicles that did over 175 mph 23
" " " under 175 mph 101

" " " over 150 mph 67
" " " under 150 mph 57

So by my reckoning short course up to 150 mph
long course over 150 mph

Why not do timing slips for short course too ?
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Don, we cant issue timing slips for the GPS course, as they are not official times. For an official time the competitor must run through the DLRA timing lights. With 2 tracks operating, there should be ample opportunity to do this. Pete DLRA #6
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

OLDtimer wrote:Don, we cant issue timing slips for the GPS course, as they are not official times. For an official time the competitor must run through the DLRA timing lights. With 2 tracks operating, there should be ample opportunity to do this. Pete DLRA #6

Could we not set a precedence and use GPS speeds as official times . From what I hear GPS is accurate . ( Our course co ordinates are set by GPS I believe )That way we could keep the up to 150 mph vehicles off the long course and still present all vehicles with some sort of timing slip .
Food for thought and more discussion .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

We dont want to keep the up to 150mph vehicles off the timed track. If we did, it would sit idle a lot of the time. Both tracks need to run at the same time to get vehicles through efficiently. The timed track will still be used for licence passes in tandem with the gps track. Apart from gps times not being official, who is going to write out the timing slips ? We cant get people to do the required jobs now ! Check out the volunteers schedule -lots of positions vacant but not many willing to put there hand up, as usual. Pete.
penny

Post by penny »

would have thought that if ten entrants present to the startline, and if the main track is available five vehicles go down each track.
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Thats correct, Paul, Hopefully the starters will ensure that happens. Pete. DLRA #6
Dr Goggles

Multiplication of errors

Post by Dr Goggles »

DON NOBLE wrote:Could we not set a precedent and use GPS speeds as official times . From what I hear GPS is accurate . ( Our course co ordinates are set by GPS I believe )That way we could keep the up to 150 mph vehicles off the long course and still present all vehicles with some sort of timing slip .
Food for thought and more discussion .

good point Don.The answer to the question is posting the tolerances of the gear. Errors are multiplied, if the timing gear is a decimal place more accurate than the GPS gear then no, if it ain't then there isn't an argument against it.

But I'm only guessing.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..