Computers for Timers, Starters and Race Control

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Computers for Timers, Starters and Race Control

Post by DLRA »

Last year I put it to the committee that the running of the event could definately benefit from the purchase of some computers for the officals to assist them in their jobs. Thanks to the committee for their support and approval, I have been able to purchase secondhand 3 Hewlett Packard Notebooks PC's. Identical in specification they run Windows XP and Office 2007 they are also loaded with all the latest virus protection software etc. Included in the deal were wireless cards. They have been checked out by a computer technician and are ready to go

They will be used by the Start Line officials, Timers and Race Control on a daily basis during speed week to for a number of activities including;
* Entrant details including what license they have and what vehicles they have entered for.
* Vehicle number, class, and record.
* Recording of each and every run
* Recording the 2010 entries
Hopefully this will take out a lot of the confusion over the radio with identifying each vehicle as it presents for a run.

I've also purchased 3 x 4Gb USB memory sticks so that they can be synchronized at the end of each day.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Excellent work.

Are you going to get them pinstriped like any good hot rod tool should be?

d
DLRA Member#412
REAL Stan

Post by REAL Stan »

NICE Greg :D :D :D :D
STAN.#744

Our body cells renew themselves while we sleep
If only our wallets would do the same.....
momec

Post by momec »

GW

We will talk at the event about connecting all three together with a wireless network.
The technology is what we use to talk car to pit for telemetry san supercar etc.
This will eliminate a lot of radio delay and decrease duplication etc.
See you soon

Chris
Acme Racing #251
Antsv8

Post by Antsv8 »

Great Idea,

If you need to set up a wireless Lan just holler I would be more than happy to set this up and maintain it during the event.

Cheers

Anthony

Full Twist Racing
momec

Post by momec »

Anthony.
Please chase me up, l'll be scruit asittant sat and sun and startline all week.

If you can help and advise it will be another step foward, any other interested parties we might arrange a meeting to discuss the same.

About to leave so see you all at the salt.

Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Acme Racing #251
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Greg

Is anyone bringing any point to point wireless gear at all? I may be able to rustle some up???

Lynchy
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I've got a wireless router that is surplus to my requirements, if this will be suitable. And I've even got the installation disk!
That's also the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I spoke with one of our technical gurus yesterday and he advises that a standard household or office type wireless setup with point to point directional antennas will not cut the mustard over the distance that we are looking at. If we use anything it needs to be beefy.

We don't have the gear but I know some guys who might be able to get it legitimately at the right price (nix) but not for this year...

Will see what I can do after the event.

Lynchy