RACE SUITS AND HELMETS

Moderator: DLRA

momec

RACE SUITS AND HELMETS

Post by momec »

G'Day

I'm sure the requirement that our suits meet SFI standards and helmets meet Snell are not only of concern for me but for any of us about to upgrade as specially as we all start to run faster.

There are a lot of local suits available and we are completetly capable of making world class products.
Apart from the fact that we should buy Australian we obviously get more bang for our buck if we shop local.

Should I have to spend $1800.00 for an sfi 3.2a/20 suit when there may well be an equivalent local product for less?
Are there local equivalents?
I've spoken with Revolution Raceware and they would love to sell us stuff but have tried to get clarification on our rulings and know one will put there hand up.

Helmets same deal only we don't make them here. There are car helmets and bike helmets. Can anyone see this in the rule book or don't it matter?
Aust standard versus Snell. Is Aust standard good enough.

Are these questions on the agenda for next National meeting and if not I think they should be.

Our sport is growing fast and these are very important things to get sorted
permanantly and soon for everyones benefit.

Seeya Chris
hawkwind racing

gunna maybe

Post by hawkwind racing »

Chris ,personally I have to agree with you and I think its about time we " Australianised " the DLRA rule book , the standards used in the DLRA rules are American ,funny that as we use the SCTA rules almost verbatum and with the exception of the snell approved helmets , ( for cars ) Australian standards in my opinion are the equal of any world standard :wink:
Why the snell for cars , this standard calls for the helmet sustaining multipull (2) blows to the same spot ,quite possible in a car with a roll cage , but highly unlikely for motorcycles , please read the topic on this forum all about helmets.
There is the need to dicuss at a club level ASAP all safety gear standards ,with hopefully an outcome favouring Aussie products and/or standards . as well as this we also need to sort out what constitutes a "fuel and gas" as well as changes to the technical rules to allow some of the orphans to run( for bikes ) , Im not sure if there are problems with the cars on this front .
Anyway hopefully we can have some concensis in stearing the rules to suite US the AUSSIE racers ,even if it departs from the SCTA rules ,time we were weaned off mama's titty :wink:
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Gary
Yes there are Orphan cars with out a class eg Mark Hadfield when he puts the phinoccio nose on the Mustang she is classless and things like the Smiths Trucks V8 Supercar.
There are two sides to this coin and just making a new class because one person wants to run it can lead to a stack of meaningless classes that no one will ever run in again.
The other side is real racers put there heart and soul into some weird arse design and they want there 3 minutes like all of us (or in the case of the V8 bike 60 minutes)
What is the answer?

Fuel I agree. This problem must be coming up in other motorsports, how are they coping? Is the answer as simple as changing the dielectric test parameters to reflect what most of us now call petrol and then we can all race within the spirit of the the rules.
The currant standard has obviously been superseded by available fuel.

The point I meant to get across about helmets is I think a lot of new car racers don't realise there is a difference between car and bike helmets and turn up with a bike one. Is this looked at in scrutineering?

Sorry to waffle on but I do think these subjects require discussion and input from as many of us as possible.

Seeya Chris
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hi All
well put Chris, maybe the rewrite or even next reprint of the rules could have a brief explanation of the Snell test and why it is much more important to cars than bikes ( where it increasingly seems it is way off beam) but when are our local standards going to be deemed "good enough"?.....I doubt that there'd be many people in the club who'd disagree with the idea to give the rules a work over and to get rid of obvious impracticalities such as the non-compliance of local certification standards. ...for all the obvious reasons.

As for wierdo classes , shit yeah ...until it becomes a problem ...jeez I reckon if you can get your ride to Lake and get it through scrut' you've shown a little tiny , weenie bit of comittment...

And , good on ya Gary for bringing up the Aussie bit ...and for your continuing spark on the site....sounds like you guys have got some real fast competition coming !!!!
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

:D It would be a sad day when the DLRA cant accomodate different types of either bikes or cars. Fitting them into a recognised class will always present an issue and discussion. Just needs to be worked thru. It was great to see Chris and his merry crew with the V8 bike and also the V8 Konica Cup car. Lets hope the club can allow more to run. I can foresee that "record" runs will challenge the club and its members when there is a misfit. ... Just like it has in the USA.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day
Just a thought. How about use the closest existing class for whatever the hybrid looks like then go /OUTLAW

eg c/pro/OUTLAW.

This could just allow a wider enterpritation of the existing classes and still give them a writen record. It would also be easily understood cause the terminology fits. Often (like V8 supercars) they almost fit a class but not quite for one reason or another.
Chris
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

:?:
at the AGM
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

Hey i know its a serious subject BUT it can get so hot out there , me thinks i will do an ANIMAL and run in me undies and wear a beanie to protect me scone .
Dr Goggles

Hey there Utester !

Post by Dr Goggles »

....on the subject of suits Chris the Rev' said that when he asked about embroidery they told him that badges with single line stitching were fine but solid stuff was obviously out... so if you wanted any type of elaborate embroidery on your racing suit that it should be made as a badge.....if anyone can find a tame embroiderer(?) to do that stuff for us at less than ridiculous prices it would be pretty cool.....anyone?????? .Who did the club badges??...hey, what with all that ice we're gonna have there Chris we might be wearin' a bit in our car....or , what about the "ice vests the AFL players wear??
DrGoggles
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Doc
My ego does'nt require the bling :lol: as I'd sooner spend the money on more HP but thanks for the tip.
I'm still in a quandry as to which suit ie 3 layer highest sfi rating or 2 layers plus undies.
I'm usually not a woman and can make up my mind instantly but both options have fors and againsts, the bottom line being price versus safety I suppose.
I do welcome all the input from you guys.
The correct safety gear is the most important consideration and we all tend to think it won't be us that needs it and all this stuff is just to get through scrutineering, but shit does happen. :roll:
I'm sort of answering my own questions and as my wonderful wife Kathryn going to share the driving this year well.........
Gotta go building the Bus a new motor tonight.
Seeya Chris
Dr Goggles

Fancy Pants

Post by Dr Goggles »

C Hanlon wrote:Thanks Doc
My ego does'nt require the bling :lol: as I'd sooner spend the money on more HP but thanks for the tip.
..........one spectator to another...."..who's that guy in the XP dressed up like Napoleon?"....isn't there something in the rules about "presentation being at a standard acceptable to the club"....... :D

It is a case of money innit?....the full underwear is pretty hot, triple layers are pretty expensive .Don't ask me ....what do Major Houlihan and Niki Lauda have in common?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Reverend Hedgash

Underwear

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Mark at Revolution Racegear said that the underwear is a better insulator from the heat itself, whereas the suit protects you more from the flame...

He suggested getting underwear no matter what suit you are wearing for this reason.

He may have been just trying to sell more underwear though...

Reverend H+
DLRA Member#412
DirtyDave

Helmets and siuts

Post by DirtyDave »

Hello gang
I race ANDRA drag bikes and are required to where a minimum Snell m
( motorcycle )helmet, which is not fire proof and is designed to with stand single impacts, the same brand of helmet can make a snell SA ( special application ) multiple impact and fire proof, Snell and Australian standard vary as the snell require a spike test to the top of the helmet, which make them heavier, the FIM don't recognise snell you can use an Aust or british standard in motorcycle racing I have a soumy helmet which is great but can't ware it when i race, i where a snell helmet which is heavier and i don't like it, but in dragracing the snell is the one they recognise..

I also crew for a funnycar team and body sweat can have a great deal to do with the effectivness of your fire suit, the best thing to do is race a bike..its safer.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Dave
Hey whats better, gravel rash or salt rash? :D :D
Thanks for that info. Humidity is extremely low at the lake normally which helps with the sweat a bit but 44 in the shade still draws out the last of last nights beverages.

Heh Doc
I'm a bit slow what is the difference between Major Houlihan and Niki Lauda?
Chris
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

........er it should have said what do Major Houlihan and Niki Lauda have in common? ....well my man they both got F....d by Major Burns......It's a M.A.S.H thing..............