Roof Chop Rules

Moderator: DLRA

Gaz 353

Roof Chop Rules

Post by Gaz 353 »

What was the response to your rule change proposal?
I notice window rake is still not allowed in the 2010 rules
David Leikvold

nowhere

Post by David Leikvold »

In the end I didn't follow through with the rule change request because I couldn't find anyone to send it to. Then I got distracted with Trevor's streamliner build and very soon I will finally get my own shed. For a while there I considered as the shed's first project I might chop the roof as per the existing rules, which is far more work than the job really needs as the angle changes of the 6 pillars would be miniscule. At the moment I'm not interested in pursuing the matter further as I'm too busy with other stuff and the project may well finish up being towed away instead. Unless of course the Lotto man rings me... :wink:

If you or Chris really want to pursue the change back to the original SCTA rule (and I think you should) a few phone calls might get you onto someone with some influence in such matters. Does anyone know who looks after rule changes? Bob assured me it wasn't him.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
ben james

Post by ben james »

congrats on finally getting your own shed david.
regards ben
moriwaki monster.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

David there was lots of discussion at the General Meeting and AGM at the lake this year to move back to the SCTA rule book and include Australian exceptions as an addition. There seemed to be general acceptance of this by all those present (no body spoke against it). But it is also widely recognized that it won't happen overnight and will take some time
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rob

Post by Rob »

Given the increasing number of people willing to cross the Pacific in both directions it would seem to be sensible to use the same rulebook.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec

Post by momec »

Greg and all,
There are 2 ways to approach the catch up with SCTA. The first is what we seem to be doing with gradual introduction of changes they already have in place. In my opinion this will take a considerable amount of time and it will be difficult to pick which rule to apply first etc.

The other easy alternative is to accept the currant SCTA rule book as is right now. Then allow a sundown period on each specific area as required. This can apply to existing vehicles/drivers to allow an easy transition to the new rules.

For long term builds in progress this would clarify build direction right now and save re engineering down the track.

It will also be clearcut if people know right we have say 3 years to save for a Hans device etc

We are trying to turn something simple into something complex and we cannot afford to leave these vital decisions much longer.

Thats my 20 cents, I'm happy to devote time to help develop these changes and plan to be at the next Vic meeting to start pushing this along.

BTW l'm talking the car side of the rule book, Gary is doing an great job with bikes and thats all his.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Some good points there Chris.
My new SCTA book is on the way, & I am too also keen to help out if I can to make it all easy on everyone by bringing the current rules a little closer together.
I did suggest to Bob that a few of us could meet to discuss & implement things prior to normal meetings or at different times to make sure it all happens with minimal fuss.
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

This all needs to be done in the correct manner. To bring it up at a general meeting will only draw the meeting out (they go for long enough as it is). I suggest that we speak to the office bearers & form a committee to go through the new SCTA rule book & work from there. I am happy to offer my services & will get the ball rolling, if everyone is happy for me to do so. Pete. DLRA #6.
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Pete
Yes please, l have little understanding of how we get things to happen and l agree, the meeting may not be the right way about it.
The impression l got at the AGM was it was just another job and no one with the time to do it, so if a few of us can make the time and commitment it will get done.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm with Chris,

Let's start sooner rather than later and am happy to put my hand up and help where I can.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Cookey

Rule Book Changes

Post by Cookey »

Count me in to assist also.

Pete is correct in saying that it should not be a general club meeting issue but a committee of experienced racers and vehicle constructors formed to handle the job.

The main thing is to get started right now :!: :!:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Gaz 353

Roof Chops

Post by Gaz 353 »

On the subject of roof chops I notice there are TWO types of chop listed in the modified vehicle categories 1) a cosmetic or "beauty" chop in the vintage classes and 2) an almost mandatory roof chop in the competition category.

May I suggest the original SCTA roof widening/lengthening applied to (1) the cosmetic chop only. (I admit I have never seen the STCA rule book)

Otherwise the "no laid back" windscreen rule makes no sense at all on a car that can so highly modified anyway eg body lengthening, large engine setback, full belly pan, large roof chop, and other aerodynamic aids.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Lets put this roof chop thing to rest.

The 1998 SCTA Rulebook is what the DLRA was using in 2000.
(Which is when I joined up & started the #66 build)

1998-
IV-7 Chopping: The removal of metal from a body component in such a fashion as to reduce the overall height of the component without changing the original shape at top or bottom.

IV-9 Contour: Contour is the configuration of the external sheet metal.
Removable trim,lights,windows,floorboards,and interior sheet metal are not part of the contour. In the special case of chopped tops, contour is considered to have been preserved as long as the angular relationship of the top to the body proper is not changed and no modification is made to the sheet metal above the original top window line.

Moving foward 10 years, (still SCTA)
2008-
4.I CHOPPING:
The removal of metal from a body component in such a fashion as to reduce the overall height of the component without changing the original shape at either the top or bottom.

4.K CONTOUR:
Contour is the configuration of the external sheet metal. Removable trim,
lights, windows, floorboards, and interior sheet metal are not part of the contour, In the special case of chopped tops, contour is considered to have been preserved as long as the angular relationship of the top to the body proper is not changed.

There was an upgrade to the Contour rule in '09 regarding moving panels and windows being considered 'streamlining'. This is legal in some classes.

Current Edtion of DLRA.
5.7. Chopping:
The removal of metal from a body component in such a fashion as to reduce the overall height of the component with out changing the original shape at top or bottom. Tops must be widened and or lengthened to maintain the stock silhouette of the vehicIe. Ie No laid back windscreens.

5.9 . Contour:
'Same as SCTA above'.

No one seems to know how this (and a few other wierd changes) got into the book,but we are on the case. A rules commitee/group will be formed shortly made up of some "experts?". As i stated at the March 10 meeting we are now about 10 years behind SCTA in safety upgrades,Some examples--Inertia switches , Roll bars & padding , Flywheel shield etc.

Gaz353 (who ever you are?) , the 'beauty chop' is for the pre '49 cars in Vintage (not compulsary tho),and for Comp Coupe it is an option,in CC you must have at least 1 outa 4 mods to meet the class reg's.

This post is not intended as a defence on our cars chop(as no dought some may think) , but to highlight the need to get back in line with the parent association.
This won't happen over night of course , but if you are starting a build , or building a car for lake G,PM me if you have quieries on possible upcomming rules changing.You are better to build for the future than now.

Cheers , Bob.

DLRA Chief Steward , #66 C/GCC.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au