Goldenrod magazine feature

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

nitro-nige

Goldenrod magazine feature

Post by nitro-nige »

A while back someone gave me a stack of 1960's Hot Rod Magazines.
Here's a feature they did on the summers brothers goldenrod.

Impressive that they never got into top and struggled with salt conditions and still topped 400mph.
David Leikvold

it's back

Post by David Leikvold »

An issue of Hot Rod from 2009, I don't remember which one, had a great story on the restoration of the Goldenrod. It is now in pristine condition again, but the family did not want it run again so the original Hemi motors have incomplete internals.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

David Leikvold

Not sure now

Post by David Leikvold »

Nige, I don't think it is, which is surprising. The text talks of collecting pieces from here and there and asking for help with the project. The article I saw was definitely about the finished car and as I remember (not terribly reliable these days), it had a long list of hot rod heroes who had helped out in one way or another. You've got me intrigued now, I'll try to find the magazine and see what I can add to this thread.
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

I was fortunate enough to see the Goldenrod during its restoration at Mike Cook's shop. Magazine articles are fine but there is no way they can show the incredible workmanship and ingenuity that went into that machine. Its actually quite humbling to stand beside it. Particularly if you have any sort of LSR aspiirations.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.
David Leikvold

who?

Post by David Leikvold »

G'day Who,
From what I remember of the article it did talk a lot about how painstaking the restoration had been and how many original parts had been refurbished so that the car really was as much of the original car as possible. It's always very pleasing to see people taking the time and effort to do something right. You were lucky to be there.
Cheers
Dave