THE LAKE WITH NO NAME

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

ROSS BROWN

THE LAKE WITH NO NAME

Post by ROSS BROWN »

In my quest to find a suitable test track for the streamliner, have been googling around Australia and have found this.....
I would assume it would be currently under water at this present time.
Has anybody been out to the back of Burke and seen this, or know of anyone out there that would know.

IT appears that tarseal goes all the way from Burke to the lakes edge which is about 35 miles away, can't google yourself onto the ground in that area
so the above shots are all we have for the moment.

IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
momec

Re: THE LAKE WITH NO NAME

Post by momec »

Worth investigating more Ross.
Bourke is not that far

Looked up paper map, Looks like the Warrego River runs into it and appears to be on Romani Staition. or close to it. Its not drawn as a lake on the map though.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Yep
Might go out for a look during the Christmas break...
This next shot is a "google" tourist shot about 15 miles south of the lake
Looks promising...

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Ross

Not so promising that he's dragging a boat there????

Lynchy
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

look at that road and surrounding countryside, ....who needs a lake :twisted:

There is also a flat area on the mid western highway ne of Hay that has my attention , have some touring planned for summer once the harvest is done
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Hello all,have been looking at a runway at Cowely Beach near my home town of Innisfail,looks fairly long,i know it was military,but not to sure now.Having my brother check it out,looks like it has sand on the surface, but i know it has a bituman surface. cheers F.G
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I`ll ask Luckie, he has spent time at Bourke ( what :?: no,i dont think it was that sort of time, but with the Luckster ya never know :lol: ) and he has a block of dirt out there somewhere, 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Gday . A mate went on a bike rally thru there 3 months ago . I,ve just sent him an email to find out more . Heres hoping for you .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

thinkin bout it, that would be the "outback of bouke lake" woodent :?: , :roll: , :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

On closer inspection of the satelite imagery there appears to be a dwelling and a pump house at the very northern tip of the lake.
there is also what looks to be a pump house on the eastern shore ( not pictured )

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

DON NOBLE wrote:Gday . A mate went on a bike rally thru there 3 months ago . I,ve just sent him an email to find out more . Heres hoping for you .
Sorry , no luck , he went past it , but it was a blur , kind of a high speed Dakar style event .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
dave leaney

Post by dave leaney »

Last edited by dave leaney on Sun May 27, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Lake near my place is loamy when dry, too soft for sure , hopefully there is something out there beyond the average ,
i keep looking at the huge area of our once inland sea, a lot of us are living on the floor of this dry lake , all we need is a couple of miles of uninturrupted paddock on a clay pan , southern to mid nsw has lots of this type of country , some of it in marginal farming areas and cheap...
potential is there to own and prepare a track dedicated to this use, just like any other country speedway except ours is straight ..

Dave how did you go with your turbine sale ?any real interest ?
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dave

Thanks for the time you put into your explanation. After visiting El Mirage this year I was wondering why nothing grew on it and it maintained it's appearance as a lake even after rain. As you say there are few suitable venues that are available on a regular basis but another problem that I'd add to your list is support for events at other venues other than Gairdner.

We went to a fair amount of trouble to line up the airstrip at Warwick and the amount of interest generated was not enough to support an event. Rob went through the same with his airstrip deal. I think Omeo could be a good event as it is reasonably easy for racers in Vic, SA and NSW to get to. It is also just a long drive from Brisbane. I'd drive down for it though.

Lynchy
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

The biggest problem with the airstrip at Applethorpe (near Stanthorpe) http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=f ... 20airstrip ) despite it being the best option we could find, was that it was only about 1500m long in total and had no run off area. The council also put several conditions on the use of the airstrip as they didn't want their strip damaged in any way, which is not unreasonable, but worst of all, the price of public liability insurance at the time was exorbitant. Combine all that with the relatively low number of competing members in SE Qld and we were always going to struggle. What we need is to have a seriously wealthy benefactor (are you reading this Clive Palmer?) who owns or is prepared to purchase a conveniently located rural property that includes a large and long, dead flat, hard ground plain that has already been cleared of trees and doesn't flood (but has a good water supply!) and is keen to build an all weather, billiard table smooth bitumen strip about 4 lanes wide and at least two miles long, preferably three, with permanent and accurate timing points so we can get FIA and FIM flying mile records established. Surely that's not too much to ask is it? :wink:

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!