West Australian Timing Association.

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

gidge348

West Australian Timing Association.

Post by gidge348 »

Just wondering if there is any interest in setting up a West Australian Timing association.

It would be good if we could find somewhere here at least to test prior to the long haul to the lake?

I do not even know how many WA memebers there are?
OLDtimer

Re: West Australian Timing Association.

Post by OLDtimer »

If you contact Carol Hadfield, she can supply you with a list of members, then it's a matter of contacting each one of them, I did that here in S.A. & we now have a mailing & emailing list . Cheers,Pete. DLRA #6
momec3

Post by momec3 »

The QTA is all but defunct now, we only created it when we were trying to launch the Airstrip deal at Stanthorpe. We did this to give us less red tape as we negotiated with Stanthorpe Council. This worked and allowed a small group to make quick decisions at appropriate times. We got it up but the insurance killed us because the track was too short (test and tune only) and the numbers were not there to continue.
Beware of the short track and insurance cost.
Personally I think we need to keep our efforts as a combined club group under the DLRA banner. This gives us more more grunt when it comes to the big dollar things like insurance and sharing equipment.
This is my opinion only. I welcome other opinions.

Chris
Chris
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Chris what did you guys find out about insurance for the airstrip, I'm still looking at options for Corowa ,
Can insure with one broker for about 7K which is ok if there is enough interest but too expensive for a few, another option excludes cars and can be done as Motorcycling Australia members ,but i would prefer to get the ball rolling that can involve any DLRA member that may wish to check there tune or setup
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Thanks for that, I will contact Carol and see if I can get a list.

With regards to the insurance, can anyone let me know what we actually need to insure against?

I know public liability would be an obvious first thing, but what else?

Regards
Ian......
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Greg and Gidge, Bob Ellis did all the insurance chasing and the quote was about 8K from memory.
Don't know what cover we need but speak to the agent the should give you a guide. Anyone else have an idea?

Chris
Chris
FIL

Post by FIL »

Definitely some interest from here Gidge... A few of us have spoken about this in the past, but not gotten very far.... A (CAMS affiliated) car club I'm associated with has been offered the use of an air strip, only 1.8km long, so only good for testing really, although there are some CAMS records over shorter distances... (And I believe an event could be run under CAMS insurance with a permit fee of less than 8k - applying SCTA / DLRA rules and licensing procedures should keep them happy too, as CAMS don't seem to have a lot of procedures in place for land speed events)
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

FIL wrote:Definitely some interest from here Gidge... A few of us have spoken about this in the past, but not gotten very far.... A (CAMS affiliated) car club I'm associated with has been offered the use of an air strip, only 1.8km long, so only good for testing really, although there are some CAMS records over shorter distances... (And I believe an event could be run under CAMS insurance with a permit fee of less than 8k - applying SCTA / DLRA rules and licensing procedures should keep them happy too, as CAMS don't seem to have a lot of procedures in place for land speed events)
Cheers FIL, Carol Hadfield has kindly given me a list of all the WA Members and I was going to send out to everyone and organise a get together, but work gets in the way at the moment.

Good news about the air strip, I have been in contact with the Carnamah council about the Yarra Yarra Lakes. It’s about 11 miles long but has soft edges but I believe there is access onto the lake somewhere.

With the Cams insurance, do you know what we actually insure against?
FIL

Post by FIL »

Information about what the CAMS insurance covers is here:
http://www.cams.com.au/About/Insurance.aspx

From memory, you're also covered for damage to the venue, but only after you've paid the first $5000 towards repairs...
hellzombie

Post by hellzombie »

Hi all, it's my first post here on the DLRA forums and I know I should do a proper intro, but here's one anyway - Hi all :wink:

After conferring with gidge348 about possible dry lakes in WA that may (or may not!) be suitable for future racing I decided to go out to a big lake north of Southern Cross here in WA to check it out. The thinking was we'll never know if someone doesn't actually get out there and have a look at conditions and access roads etc so I decided that would be me this particular weekend - plus it was a just a good excuse for a road trip ;)

Anyway, the lake in question was Lake Deborah (East), approximately 40kms north of Bullfinch (75 odd kms north of Southern Cross). Long story short, it was partially covered by water, although it IS getting into colder/winter months so it will be worth checking out in the summer months to see if it totally dries out. Apart from the water, it's long enough (approx. 10kms in the direction of the hills in the background of the last pic) and the access road to the west end of the lake (Bullfinch-Evanston Rd) is excellent (graded gravel, 2WD suitable). It also looks like it wouldn't be a problem driving onto the lake either if it was dry enough of course.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=lake+d ... 6&t=h&z=12

We thought it might be a good idea to put up some info/pics incase anyone out that way had local knowedge of the lake and it's conditions year round etc. You never know, it could be a possible future candidate for us WA people??

dave leaney

Post by dave leaney »

Last edited by dave leaney on Sun May 27, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellzombie

Post by hellzombie »

Thanks Dave, the original poster gidge348 has mentioned he plans to contact Rosco at some stage incase he has some info so that is great news. Re: the saltworks - yes it's still there as far as I'm aware and their website says they are 'green and friendly' etc so I'm not sure how they'd feel about cars racing out there, but if Rosco has already done then maybe we have a chance. I also found a lease document on the net for that saltworks which outlines their 'premises boundary' and it only stretches part way out into the lake (from the southern edge) So it may be possible to do it around them. All food for thought..
dave leaney

Post by dave leaney »

Last edited by dave leaney on Sun May 27, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting the pics and Dave for your comments, Lake Deborah has possibilities at the moment as far as I can see.

What I am hoping for is, if EVERYONE that is out in a road trip and see's something that could be/may be/ possibly be used, can please post them here so hopefully we can get together a database of places that may or may not be suitable.

Also, just as important if you see something that will NOT be suitable, please post (with reasons why) so that other people don’t waste time following up something that has already been rejected.

This may all come to nothing but it won’t hurt to gather and share the information.

Regards
Ian...
teamleader

Post by teamleader »

I spoke to Rosco about this site a couple of years ago. He gave me the contact details of the people who have the lease on the site but did warn me that it would be a no go. They are based at Jandakot I think. I spoke with them - they sell the salt to the food industry and need it to be in pristine condition. They used to be sympathetic to our cause but were burned on a couple of occassions by hangers on to the main parties - TV crews or some one running amok somehow. Anyway they no longer have sympathy and although they were polite enough on the phone they told me to go away and stop annoying them. Rosco will still have their details if anyone wants to try again.