New Rule Book

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

Greg Watters

Re: New Rule Book

Post by Greg Watters »

In some ways doesn't changing rules sort of go against what we just did with taking on the SCTA regs after years of writing our own rules ?? i'm not against it, just seems a bit odd....
I can understand a whole different class as an addium to a rule book eg: Ute

other question , reference to "event gas " do we want to run a control gasoline or gasolines for gas classes , Rick Gold the guy that supplies Bonneville has an Aussie outlet and is keen to be involved if we want .. its not cheap fuels but they are good quality..
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Greg,
Like I said we adopted the whole rule book, warts (event fuel) and all. The parts that are not relevent to us, yet, I could not delete without DLRA approval. There are those that have your opinion that we shouldn't deviate, and there are those that believe our rule book should reflect our local requirements and have an Aussie flavour. I seem to get stuck in the middle but it is the Rule Book Committe that proposes a change and the DLRA board (committee) that approve it. Again all discussion is welcome but if you strongly believe in something the put in a Rule Change Petition form which at the back of the rule book.
With regard to event fuel, that opens up another whole can of worms and would require huge changes in the way we run the event. You have probably had more experience with this than most of us here. It only applies to record setting and I would imagine there has been some fudging of 'gas' but at this stage I don't think we have the volunteers to run it properly. Include it in the agenda for the next meeting if you want it discussed.
GAZ
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Thanks Gaz, not having a go at you or anyone else more just an observation , i can appreciate the work that has gone into the rule book and think its a change for the better :D
RGV

Post by RGV »

Thanx to all involved in putting the new rule book up. :D

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes. The New rule Book is one of those things. I second Dave in thanking all those that made it possible. Download works perfectly.

Stay Cool

Pete RGV#866
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Thankyou to all involved in getting this to happen,,, download worked fine way up here in the north :D 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Rob

Post by Rob »

Been trawling through the rule book (thanks Gaz et al) and ran across Classic Class, I'd wondered if we'd keep it.

Will this be amended to included Australian produced vehicles?

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Rob,
It is up to the membership. We can keep it, change it or delete it altogether. If there is a call for it then a petition can be lodged. Again, include it in the agenda for the next meeting and it can be discussed.
GAZ
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

I guess my big three questions are
Are we going to run an impound next year
Are we going to have event gas and sealed fuel tanks
Are we going to do capacity checks on vehicles that get records
G
They make it
I make it work
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

G,
1. I don't think we need to run impound until we get serious about the next two items.
2. We could only run event gas if the distributor or DLRA supplied and filled the entrants cars from 20lts or 205ltr drums. Maybe the DLRA could purchase the gas on consignment and return the unsold drums. I don't think it would be difficult but I don't know the extent of cheating at the moment. If we were able to check racers gas it might keep them honest.
3. Capacity checks would be easy as well. Dan Warner at Bonneville does the engine checks and he would be only too happy to give us details of methods and procedures. I know they had a couple of pumps but we could buy our own. Here again the threat of the DLRA being able to do the check at any time would keep people honest, maybe.
Graham, you have been there and done it, what do you think? Is it as easy as I think?
GAZ
RGV

Post by RGV »

The threat of disqualification from the event for deliberate cheating (not sure how you judge whats deliberate) might be enough of a deterrent?

I would like to think that most of us are competing against ourselves so cheating kind of defeats the purpose of being there.

As for "event fuel" gasoline and fuel, i think it would open a can of worms environmentally as a suitable storage and refueling station would have to be constructed instead of each team being responsible for out own fuel storage. Also I tune my engine for XXX brand fuel and the event fuel is YYY. I suppose the club could buy XXX and tell every one to tune their engines with that brand.

Just my thoughts.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

A few thoughts

I think that having Event Fuel would be another unnecessary thing to Organise at this point.

I suppose we need to look at the intent of the each Rule.

In the case Gas/Fuel classes are these Classes meant to draw a line between ordinary Pump Petrol for Gas/G and Racing Fuel (including Petrol based Race Fuel) in Fuel/F

or

is Gas/G a Petrol based fuel Class that includes Unleaded or Leaded Race Fuels in Gas/G and all others Ethanol, Methanol etc in Fuel/F Class.

To different approaches to the same issue

once this question is answered,

Maybe a simple List of "Approved" fuels in Gas/G,

and everything else is in Fuel/F Class might be a way to go.

Stay Cool

Pete RGV#866
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

E
BIG GAZ wrote:G,
1. I don't think we need to run impound until we get serious about the next two items.
2. We could only run event gas if the distributor or DLRA supplied and filled the entrants cars from 20lts or 205ltr drums. Maybe the DLRA could purchase the gas on consignment and return the unsold drums. I don't think it would be difficult but I don't know the extent of cheating at the moment. If we were able to check racers gas it might keep them honest.
3. Capacity checks would be easy as well. Dan Warner at Bonneville does the engine checks and he would be only too happy to give us details of methods and procedures. I know they had a couple of pumps but we could buy our own. Here again the threat of the DLRA being able to do the check at any time would keep people honest, maybe.
Graham, you have been there and done it, what do you think? Is it as easy as I think?
GAZ
IT doesn't have to be event fuel
Impound makes sure the playing field is even, as it is where the gasoline and capacities are checked and vehicles are looked at for class compliance
All Gasoline has to do is measure under 15.0 on a dielectric constant meter that has been correctly calibrated for it to be considered gasoline by the SCTA.
They run event gas , because it's not that hard when you are 5 miles from the highway. and again , it makes sure the playing field is level. Tanks are sealed
when the gas is put in , and if you want to put more gas in , you have to go to impound with a sealed container and have your tank seal checked and refitted
Fuel class entries aren't checked

I don't believe the club has a DC meter

Checking capacities is pretty easy. The most accurate way is to have the competitor pull a head off. I only saw this done once, when a competitor gave attitude
They had some nifty little bore and stroke gauges that you could use on most modern bikes
The most accurate and easy way used a container marked in cc's, a hose, a spark plug fitting and some auto trans oil. not that effective on a two stroke.

The hardest part being that some one has to run impound for the whole week
G
G
They make it
I make it work
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Gaz

I helped Dan do some capacity checks at Bonneville. We measured the Spectre Streamliner after he ran his record and one or two others. It was really quite simple and no heads were removed. I can't remember the name of the device but ANDRA probably use the same thing. Just remove the plugs, undo the rockers on one cylinder (the easiest one) and screw the tube into the spark plug hole. Wind the motor over a couple of rotations and do the math with the tell tale in the measurement tube. It took only a minute or two to measure once the cylinder was ready.

Lynchy
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Paul,
Yes I remember now, They had a couple of engine pumps in boxes that were not that elaborate. I am sure Dan could source one for us. The same as a DC meter. If entrants knew that we had the equipment and the DLRA were going to random test record breakers it would keep them honest I think. Dan told me the story of one entrant who had his engine built with the usual test cyclinder a different (smaller) capacity to the other cylinders. People will try anything!
I can bring it up at the meeting on Sunday.
GAZ