The Ute Class

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

momec3

The Ute Class

Post by momec3 »

I'd like to add my 2 bobs worth regarding the Ute class.

I have run an XP Falcon Ute at the Lake on various occasions since 2001. For many years I was the only one running a Ute even after we first instigated and voted in the "Ute " class the last time. I set and own 2 records in C/MUte and C/FMUte.

This class seems now defunct for some reason and we now have to vote to reinstigate the same class. I presume this is because we have reintroduced the SCTA rulebook lock' stock and barrell.

No problem, the SCTA deals with Utes such as the El Camino and Ranchero by lumping them with the sedans and coupes. Hense none run because they are at a huge disadvantage.
The SCTA call everything else either a Pickup (Big F100's and Chev C20's) or smaller Pickups are classed as Mid Mini Pickup which includes all foriegn small Pickups such as Hilux or Chev Luv etc.
No one in there right mind bothers running stuff with a tray.

The problem I found with running a Ute is for a long time I was the only one in the world doing it. This meant I had nobody either here or O'seas to compare my times with. If you run say C/Pro you can have a direct comparison with lots of other records. Can't do that in a Ute.
Saying that I have no problem with having a Ute class here. Suits local competition but thats it.

My next point is what do we include as a Ute. We all know Utes are a cab and tray that are joined. Open and shut.

If we tried to call everything with a styleside body a Ute we would then be including all the F100's and Big Chevs , GMC's etc.
Having just invested a huge amount of effort time and money to build an F100 to run in Production Pickup.Our team would be very disappointed if it were classified a Ute and we had to compete with something like a Commodore Ute.
Next point is we are building an AU Falcon Ute deliberatly aimed at running in Mid Mini Pickup. We have aimed at this class so we have a US comparitive number to aim at. Are we going to be told it has to be a Ute?
There is already a clear concise class called Mid Mini Pickup to cater for AU Falcon onwards.
If we call this a Ute it is at a disadvantage to the equivalent Commodore or EL Falcon.
I still own and intend to run my XP Ute again in the future.

Sorry if this all sounds like a whinge but it seems to me that the club members that don't run Utes are going to out vote those that do. I have no problem with a democratic vote but to be told we "had better be at the meeting to vote" gripes a bit.
Our team will have 8 drivers, does this mean we all have to hop a plane from Qld to attend the next Melbourne meeting to cast our vote?
I am angry at the thought that this rule may be railroaded through without the whole club voting on the motion at the AGM.

Chris Hanlon,
on behalf
Stephen Bridge
Sav Sanford
Mike Davison
Barry Bunter
Lennard Munn
Ron Munn
Kathryn Hanlon
Chris
Ratmuller

Re: The Ute Class

Post by Ratmuller »

Chris, feel the pain.....I too understand that the SCTA rule book works for some and not for others, will be interested in the out come as this may impact other racers in other classes too. hope to see you down therer !
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Chris, I thought somebody else would have responded to this but let me give it a go.
Firstly there was a DLRA ute class and you ran in that class. Those records hold until somebody else can better them.
Yes the adoption of the 2010 SCTA rulebook for 2012 obviously did not include a ute class and after Gary had published the draft 2012 DLRA rulebook there were a number of Australianised amendments requested. Ute class was one of these, 3 engine motorcycles is another.
The way amendment requests are handled is firstly a formal request is made to the rulebook committee, it then usually goes to a general meeting for comment then the assessment is made and if agreed upon a new rule or amendment to a existing rule is made, that goes back to another general meeting to ensure everyone is happy, then and only then is it adopted.
With the introduction of the ute class, there is no removal of any existing classes.
Pickup and Mini Pickup classes remain.
Its entirely up to the entrant to decide which class they want to run (obviously as long as their vehicle complies to the DLRA rulebook).
So if you decided to run the XP there will be a ute class for it. If you run the F350 it would still run Pickup class. (dunno why you would ever want to run it as a ute anyway)

In my personal opinion if you had a late model Falcon "ute" and wanted to run ute class you will be accomodated, but if you also wanted to run Mini Pickup you would be well within your rights as it complies with the rules (both SCTA and DLRA) the choice would be yours.
The thinking behind allowing allowing a late model falcon "ute" into the ute class is that rightly or wrongly it is recognised. by the masses as a ute and it gives the potential for the timeless rivalry between the brands to continue in ute class.

Hope I've answered your question and allayed some of your fears.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Thanks, Greg, you saved me trying to explain it. When Mike & I drafted this category, we stipulated that a ute be a "sedan based derivative", therefore making Falcons, Holdens & Valiants the main contenders. Ford market their vehicle as a ute so that is what it is. (If Toyota made a Camry based ute, that too would qualify). However I do not agree with the final decision being made at a meeting in Melbourne, as this does not give most members a say. The decision should be made by the rule book & tech committee, along with DLRA executive, that is why we elected them, after all !! Pete. DLRA #6.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

OLDtimer wrote: However I do not agree with the final decision being made at a meeting in Melbourne, as this does not give most members a say. The decision should be made by the rule book & tech committee, along with DLRA executive, that is why we elected them, after all !! Pete. DLRA #6.
I would have thought if some wanted to vote at a meeting that they were unable to attend that they would be able vote by sending a proxy authority
G
They make it
I make it work
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Graeme, what you say is exactly right. But what Pete is talking about is that the amendment was voted on and passed by a vote at the general meeting, rather than it going back to the rulebook committee. Some might consider this to be a small point, but the committee was formed for this specific purpose and now they are obliged to make an amendment that may or may not conflict with the rest of the rule book.
Something to remember for next time.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Greg and Pete for the clarification.

You have calmed my paranoid mind. I had visions of not being able to run Mid/Mini Pickup and with our AU Falcon.

As far as the process is involved as long as all the club members that wish to vote on a class change or new class are informed in time to be able to cast a vote, be it in person or via proxy then thats fine.

GW, if you do a search you will find all my XP Falcon records have dissappeared. If you need me to fax you copies can you PM me and I'll shoot them through.

Chris
Chris
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

"if you do a search you will find all my XP Falcon records have disappeared."

Sounds like a conspiracy to me Chris :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Definate conspiricy Cookey,
Don't no anything about it do you? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Chris
Chris
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Geez it sure is thirsty work maintaining all these records (hint, hint)
Howzat Cookey? Is that how it's done? ;-)

Seriously though Chris, I don't known what's happened there, but I will follow up. First thing will be to contact Gary to find out exactly how ute is going to be incorporated into the rules. My preference would be to have a ute class in production and modified categories. Rather than a separate ute category. How does C/PRO-UTE or C/BFM-UTE sound? Then I can make sure your records are included in the appropriate classes.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Like a fish, yeah I understand. :)

Based on Production and Modified would be a painless transition with proven safety.
We need unlimited engine size, (this is restricted in Mid Mini) so that would fix that.

Chris
Chris