Well we got to the Test'n'Tune at Tailem bend last Saturday.
This was a very worthwhile excercise as it showed up a couple of problems which are much easier to sort out now.
No.1 was the riding positon. This was loosely based on pics of old Triumphs running at Bonneville in the fifties and early sixties. On the first run Saturday I found that what felt reasonably comfortable in the shed on the stand, wearing shorts, t-shirt and thongs was practically unrideable on the move wearing boots, leathers and helmet. Obviously young, short, Americans in the 1950's were much more bendable than an older, tall, Australian in the 2000's.
Some changes were made to the clip-ons and gearlever which made it rideable (just) for some more runs.
The second problem appeared on the return from the fourth run when the transmission started to tighten up. I suspected this was a layshaft bush binding, which proved to be the case when I stripped it down yesterday. Fortunately it hasn't damaged the layshaft so for now I will make another bush with more clearance.
Later boxes had needle rollers for the layshaft so I will have to find out more about fitting that set up into my gearbox.
Other than that we got it starting to go OK with some jetting changes and at least have an idea of what sizes to get for fine tuning.