volunteer information

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

hawkwind racing

volunteer information

Post by hawkwind racing »

Fellow racers and club members ,Im trying to compile a definative list of all the jobs that go into running a successful speed week ,at the agm I put forward an idea to list all the jobs and have all the race teams /individules provide time to do these jobs , which would be a part of the entry form , Im going to place these jobs into 3 catagories
1. pre race meet ,everything that needs doing before monday
2. during race meet .
3. post race meet ,say friday / saturday ,basically pack up
then matching jobs to each entrant /team firstly on a voluntry basis
I need your help in listing all the jobs you are aware of and or who would be the best source of imformation in getting a complete list .PJQ2 are you still up to assisting in this data gathering exersize ?
your help will be much appreciated :)
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Gary

Thanks for kicking this off.
My area is startline.
It works well with 3 people and they need to be rotated.
Half a day in the sun is a long time.
The slide board keeper job should not be nessasary next year with the fixes already discussed.
The startline job is easy to learn and a lot of fun.
3 of our currant startline team intend to race next year so we do need more helpers. Even if you race you can still spend 2 or 3 hrs helping and it will be appreciated.
Seeya Chris :D :D
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I think a far goal for volunteers is One half of a day from one member of a team over the week, should get most jobs done.
Can we have scrutineering on sunday. Monday is raceday...???
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

When Tonya started getting actively involved in the ECTA one of the things we did was identify each job and then write a job discription for the volunteers that worked the position... bascially the idea was to hand the guy (or gal ) a clip board with the important issues and tasks written down...

What we found in reality is that we end up with the same Volunteers that fall into the same positions every time and it became reduntant to teach them thier jobs... But when those guys took off racing the new folks were clueless about what to do. The concept helped... ( in practice we aren't perfect about getting this done...but writing this has reminded me that we need to get better about it again )

Gary your off to a great start here... the ECTA in the beginning had to do some stuff like your talking about... over the years you guys have found some of the folks it's going to take and with the increased attention you've recieved your going to get more and more folks who simply want to volunteer just to be a part of it... make sure you treat them well and nurture them into the positions that they want to hold... I've found the new volunteers generally gravitate first to your needs and then to places and positions that best fit thier talents.

Keith
SPOOK

volunteer information

Post by SPOOK »

Dirty dave, You are absolute correct. All vehicles must be scruteneered on Sunday afternoon by car and motorcycle inspectors. The way some guys wandered in over a period of three days is totally unacceptable.Hawky should not have to put up with this again in 2007. As this meeting will get bigger every year now is the time we have to tighten things up in many areas. If we don,t it will get out of hand,we will lose it, big money will step in and then it will lost to the ordinary battlers like myself and most of the other members. Cheers Spook.
BIG GAZ

Volunteer info

Post by BIG GAZ »

Hi, Gary Satara here from Sydney (Ford powered Jaguar XJ-S punter in 2007). I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments made. Paul (Lynch) and I had a ball on the startline this year. It is a great way to meet the drivers and teams and learn something new. I think it should be mandatory, or at least actively encouraged for both teams and spectators to volunteer half a day each. There should be a time slot provided on the entry form, a roster kept and a reminder when paying fees or at scrutineering of your responsibilities. Some people are a bit shy and I think they may have the perception that the club may a bit 'clicky' until they start getting involved. I am not sure yet how many will be with our team next year, but I can assure you each of them will be required to volunteer for something.
momec

Post by momec »

Sorry Gary, I neglected to thank you for your efforts only because I'd forgotten your name.
I don't think we should be putting a heavy onus on first timers, there is so much to take in first time you see that Lake and experience the event. Raising the total awareness that its our club and each and every member is 100% welcome. Yes it may appear clicky from the outside I have'nt struck it but I bet if any newbie puts his/her hand out and says Hi this is my first year they will be greated like a long lost brother.
Heh tell us more about the Jag
Thanks again Chris
Acme Racing #251
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Well i was a newby, and i would like to say that I meet a great group of people Called the DLRA, One job i want be putting my hand up for is spending 2 half days untangling wire..who is responsible for the replacement wire, ?

I'm not in a position to help with organising volunteers, but i will have some good people with me next year that can help and I've worded them up for there fair share, its good to see the pot stirred and looks like good is going to come of it,

The first volunteer we need here is the volunteer to make a volunteer list of jobs,,,and old volunteers to wright up a job description,

Its a good idea to run with out having a lunch break but after talking with Peter Noy it is usually because the wind normally picks up around noon any way,,
ben james

Post by ben james »

man that'll look cool on the lake, hope it doesn't have any spoilers and crap. you should paint it in jag team colours like they raced them at bathurst and in european touring car. i remember they won bathurst and euro touring car championship. what sort of ford motor in it. also i'll make sure me and christine do half day each on start line.
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Chris

Paul Lynch here, I will be a definite again next year on the start line. I loved it! I would be happy to do it again for a half a day per day all week (or more depending on Big Gaz's needs with the as yet incomplete Jag). I'd like to have a go in the timing van as well.

I'm with Dave - sorting out several miles of cable was not fun! But on the other hand (and everyone needs to realise this) if the s@#$ jobs like this don't get done - no-one races = no enjoyment.

Personally, I'd rather get involved and give some of the old hands a chance to enjoy the event that they pioneered. My hat is off to Cled who manned the start line for the whole event!
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Ben
If the spoilers and crap i.e. the TWR kit got the Jaguars to 200mph down Conrod then thats what I will be doing. Anything to go faster. If you think the Walkinsaw Jag looked cool, wait till you see mine with a 3" top chop!
It is 49" high stock. With the 3"chop and sitting on the deck it it might even be lower than a GT40. We will see. It is a alloy headed, nascar blocked 351C, 671 Littlefield, EFI injected with a bugcatcher. It was impressive in my Falcon 2 door and should be more so in the Jag. Maybe we should start a new thread on this Ben. Glad to talk to anyone who will listen. I think Lynchy might be getting sick of it and the Missus just says 'whatever'.
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Hawk,

Haven't been on the forum since we got back.
Yes, count me in for assistance will all this background stuff. Will give you a buzz soon.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
landracing

Post by landracing »

Just an idea here, how about just scratching the chalk board altogether.

Form two lines. In order and thats how they are ran.. Dont have to worry about someone putting name up on board when they arent there.

Seems the board offers no benefit to the running order, be one less thing needed to be taken care of.

Rider number and vehicle number and class designation should be on the race vehicle and the starter can see all this..

Jon Amo
http://www.landracing.com
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

As we speak, Rob Carroll is drawing up a draft roster , listing every job from setup, through the week, to tear down & camp pack up. Along with a couple of other members, I will go through it & see if anything was overlooked. I am sure there will be job for everyone, even for an hour or two. Stay tuned. Pete. DLRA #6.
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

OLDtimer wrote:As we speak, Rob Carroll is drawing up a draft roster , listing every job from setup, through the week, to tear down & camp pack up. Along with a couple of other members, I will go through it & see if anything was overlooked. I am sure there will be job for everyone, even for an hour or two. Stay tuned. Pete. DLRA #6.

Great idea, then we can ask for voulinteers to fill all times and positions, if they arn't filled people can GET voulinteered.....