washing vehicles prior to entry onto salt

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

god of speed

washing vehicles prior to entry onto salt

Post by god of speed »

Hello everyone,

leading up to this years event, i have a few questions as a first time racer.

we have an isuzu dmax, and something that i am wondering is about the washing of the car before we drive my bike onto the salt.

some people suggest using a fire extinguisher, but to me this seems unnecessarily expensive. are there any facilities at the entry onto the salt where a pressure washer is provided? otherwise, how many litres would we need to carry to wash the car with a pressure washer.

secondly, i am guessing most of the racers stay in the racer's camp so that they do not have to travel on the 12km dirt track and therefore dont have to wash their vehicles each time they enter the salt.

lastly, there is extreme emphasis on the camping information page of living at the camp autonomously and collecting all your rubbish and such. we have done alot of camping in national parks to know how to do this, but i was wondering if there is anything out of the ordinary we would need to know for preparation.

thanks in advance

G.O.S.
- Charlie
'Overall happiness is directly proportional to the increasing distance between the front wheel and the ground.'
'The God of Speed' - 125cc Lakes Racer - www.thegodofspeedproject.com
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ - Rest in pieces
OLDtimer

Re: washing vehicles prior to entry onto salt

Post by OLDtimer »

Under no circumstances are vehicles to be washed with water before going onto the lake. This is what contributes to the ramp area getting mushy. Club owned leaf blowers are placed at the lake's entrance to blow dust from vehicles. If you have one, bring it along, it will speed things up. ALL vehicles going onto the lake MUST have the dust blown off, regardless of where you are camped. The "racers camp" is around 12kms from the lake & the "lakeside camp" is run by the station owners. Hope this helps, Pete Noy. DLRA #6.
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

Hi pete,

thanks for that, i had suspicions there was something supplied. are all racers then located at the camp that is 12kms away? i would prefer to be where the majority of racers are.
- Charlie
'Overall happiness is directly proportional to the increasing distance between the front wheel and the ground.'
'The God of Speed' - 125cc Lakes Racer - www.thegodofspeedproject.com
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ - Rest in pieces
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

I am guessing it is about 50/50 as to who stays where. The difference is, the DLRA camp has hot rain water showers, Ladies & mens toilets, power,& a cold room to store perishables. (The "table of knowledge" is also situated there, which is something to behold, but that is another story !).The lakeside camp requires you to be totally self sufficient & has only one toilet & cold bore water. Pete.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Hi

There is a toilet at the lakeside camp?

Thanks
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
penny

Post by penny »

There is some talk of the toilets not being open for speedweek , dont ring carol ring Mt Ive direct and inquire with them as they charge the $7 per night .
phone (08) 8648 1817
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Jon,

The toilet block at the lakeside camp is a very modest affair. From memory, it has two toilet cubicles, a urinal trough, a hand basin and two showers. It has the floor area of a small caravan. It gets very busy first thing in the morning but as people wander down to the lake after breakfast things improve. There are several mobile toilets on the lake in the pits.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks Dave
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering