Header Question

Moderator: DLRA

hawkwind

Re: Header Question

Post by hawkwind »

Ok we have 2 trains of thought happening here .....1.tuned length headers and there benifits & 2.taking the exhaust and pumping it behind the vehicle......interesting .... one (tuned length headers) is proven to increase the performance of an engine (verified data)....two in theory at least dumping the exhaust at the rear may have benifits??? does anyone have verifiable numbers of the net benifit/gain to drag reduction. so I ask is it worth the power loss from a tuned header setup to extend the exhaust system to the rear of the car/bike ? or for a turbo, does running a long exhaust system to the back have more benifits than the extra back pressure created in doing so ...I will ignore for the present the extra drawbacks of getting an exhaust pipe back there ......is it just another fad or is there real proof with repeatable data that the benifits out weigh the costs ?
Gary #282
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Have a read of the stuff on the link I posted on the previous page and make your own decisions Gary.......speed costs.
Last edited by Dr Goggles on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
RGV

Post by RGV »

Ive seen a video of a top fuel rail blowing off a set of headers and going into a barrel roll. Apparently the thrust from the exhaust blew the car over.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks Chris - that is what I was hoping you would say.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
ben james

Post by ben james »

Dr Goggles wrote:
ben james wrote:1./ The exhaust gases are cooling rapidly, that means they are shrinking, that is an excellent way to "de-energize" the wake , it works kind of like a dampener. DAMPER :roll:

.....back to the rear exiting exhaust ... is there really enough exhaust mass or volume to make any difference at all .... considering the overall amount of air being displaced ??? I personally believe it will only have an effect on streamliners and then only a small net gain ... but I could be wrong.
I think some 4 cylinder top fuel motorcycle teams have some data about exhaust effect.
Ben
I think you're trying to have your unleavened bread and eat it too Benny,.......get a Webster's up ya. :wink: :wink:
there ya go with your big words again,
i don't know what unleavened means,
but i'm gunna look it up & do a real witty comeback i am. :?
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Ben , hurry up with the unleavened explaination !! We're getting " exhausted" waiting to find out what it means,
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

OK Bob, turns out Benny has an ongoing argument with a yank he works with about damper/dampener....if you ask me damper is like bread, without yeast.....bread without yeast is said to be "unleavened"...it doesn't rise.

Now. Did anyone read any of the stuff that Superford317 posted on the landracing link that I posted?.......You door car guys might have noticed that Michael leFevers posted a pick of their Firebird that was the 300mph car......

It isn't something you can condense into a one word answer this stuff. As Chris mentioned he's had time to think, and has reconsidered a few lomg held ideas. It never hurts to go back to basics and think about what we are trying to do. I'm trying to do it now..............
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Quote" Now. Did anyone read any of the stuff that Superford317 posted on the landracing link that I posted?......."" end quote ....... sure did, all very interesting and informative :) BUT!!! :shock: ........conclusion WTF has any of that realistically got to do with backyard builders......I will watch closely as those with racing budgets the size of the US debt implement any of it into a practical solution then copy the stuff that works :wink: ......in the meantime I will continue building the born again fleabay special ....racing costs thank acura for China.
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
JonB

Post by JonB »

Racing does cost.

Components cost money.
Innovation, design, fit and finish cost research, care factor and attention to detail.

If scratch building a component in this discussion an exhaust the $ cost between a set of zoomies and a tuned set of tuned length pipes (non dyno tested) exiting where you think you may pick up some advantage is negligible in the total build cost.

YOMV
jon
Last edited by JonB on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Aerodynamics are free, and they don't wear out or break.
penny

Post by penny »

Vortex Generators , Nebulus therom liner is long and tiny built by an expert and i think it is about as high as my knees . It has and uses Vortex Generators at the back to further enhance the air leaving at the back . I dont think that i have seen votex generators on a vehicle at our lake . There was some on a vehicle at tailem bend but they arn t the real deal .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I stumbled across this a while back after watching a show on TV about the Spitfire, and how they gained thrust from heat generated by the engine.

http://warbirdsforum.com/showthread.php?t=5515
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Dr Goggles wrote:Aerodynamics are free, and they don't wear out or break.
You're not a bike guy, are you
G
They make it
I make it work
JonB

Post by JonB »

grumm441 wrote:
G
Why? Cos he can spel Airodinamiks propa and uses punchyouassian?
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

grumm441 wrote:
G
guy? isn't your spell check working properly?