M/C Safety: Leathers for 2013

Moderator: DLRA

David Leikvold

Re: M/C Safety: Leathers for 2013

Post by David Leikvold »

Paul,

I believe they did a scene closely resembling it in the 1980 Goldie Hawn movie "Private Benjamin". Enjoy!

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

It was often said that Billy Sneddon didn't know if he was coming or going. He did however ,memorably ,do both at the same time as he shuffled off.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

ok - I have to start thinking about my leathers for 2013.

My current ones have lots of stretch non-leather bits, which would be quite difficult to retrofit leather too.

Has anyone gone through the exercise of eBay leathers or adapting existing? I am after brands/models that are a good starting point.

Did the Phantom racing suit do the job in the end?
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
harky

Post by harky »

Paul
i have a set of Dainese leathers -- they were new from Peter Stevens @ a real good price, but like alot of leathers they had stretchy in the arm pits and crutch , ( they are non perforated leather ) I had http://www.waldenmiller.com.au/ ( they are in Adelaide ) fill in with leather the stretcky bits ---- was $300 and are now 100 % compliant .
When I asked their price to make a set to size and order wasnt all that bad , something like $1000
hope this is of some help
harky
ps looking forward to seeing and hearing your creation --- different !! --- I like different
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
internetscooter

harky wrote: I had http://www.waldenmiller.com.au/ ( they are in Adelaide ) fill in with leather the stretcky bits ---- was $300 and are now 100 % compliant .
When I asked their price to make a set to size and order wasnt all that bad , something like $1000
Did they just patch over the stretchy bits or was the leather stitching undone and the stretchy bits replaced? Did you use thick or thin leather (thickness is not covered in the rules).

$1000 dollars would get me a 240 big bore kit with lots of change ;) I'd rather spend less especially since the leathers are only used every couple of years (and the alterations would make them not much good for anything else).

I have a leather jacket being repaired at the moment - when I pick that up I'll check out the price to update my current suit.

Thanks, that was a help
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I had my Leathers stolen from my place last year, a break and enter, and they could not get back out so they used my leathers as protection to climb back out the broken glass window.

So I got a set of DLRA spec Walden Miller Leathers made (Insurance plus a a few $) and they are very good quality.
I'd recommend their work and I thought their price was great for "made to a measure" one piece Spec suit, compared to a lot of others.

It's funny that Safety is an area that is often given a low priority in the Race Budget.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
internetscooter

AuotonomousRX wrote: It's funny that Safety is an area that is often given a low priority in the Race Budget.
Yes, it sounds like that but I already have invested in a perfectly good race suit - if I had a spare $1000 I'd be spending it on my daily commuting safety which is much more dangerous ;)

Extra note: Actually come to think of it - that is why I don't have a spare $1000 as it is already spent ;)
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
harky

Post by harky »

They unstiched and replaced the strechy bits with a very soft and quite thick leather , they do really nice work , and yes we all have a budget so have to juggle how and where we spend our $ s , I crap on so much with " If you have a cheap head you buy a cheap helment " so have to follow through with having safety stuff to a good standard ---- the utube clip of a bike alight ----- big fire betwwen the riders legs --- helped focus getting my leathers filled in
the choice of leather was mine , and yes the rule book only refers to non perferated leather
cheers
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
zork

Post by zork »

I have perforated leathers and wallet. Was told if I wear nomex long johns this will be ok. So I bought them for about a $100. Will be bloody hot but in the middle of Feb.
internetscooter

FYI

Dainese Leather Race Suit - Size 50
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0973346227

These are too small for me but might suit someone - auction ending in 4 hours, so far no bids... when I asked about them I got the following...

Leather perforated section behind Knees,airholes under armpits.All perforations in leather material.no cloth sections.This is a 2 piece suit of course,all leather

But if you are buying - re-ask the question as I am not responsible for them :)

BTW - I am considering another eBAY seller that custom makes through Pakistan (turns out my current leathers are too tricky to adapt at a reasonable price).

Oh and found these that Fitted someone 5 foot 11 and 75kg - I have not confirmed that it meets our race specs http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sandgate ... 1007341449
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
zork

Post by zork »

I got the Paki leathers via Ebay giving all the mearsurements on the site and they were a perfect fit. They were well under $300 landed ???? There was an invoice left in the box by the "middle man" which was for US$15.00 lol..... but same leathers here were around AU$600. They do have the small perforations like I said before but with nomex no probs.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

zork wrote:I got the Paki leathers via Ebay giving all the mearsurements on the site and they were a perfect fit. They were well under $300 landed ???? There was an invoice left in the box by the "middle man" which was for US$15.00 lol..... but same leathers here were around AU$600. They do have the small perforations like I said before but with nomex no probs.
Zork

I can't see anything in the current rules about Nomex underwear, have I missed something, I hope you don't get down there and are not allowed to run.

Pete

DLRA #866
zork

Post by zork »

Yes thats a good point. I was told this by said former motorcycle scruitineer at Tech inspection at Gawler 2011 without mentioning names here. I bloody hope that is correct.
zork

Post by zork »

PS grumm441 wrote:
Emphasize 7.C.2 (p. 110):
Underline “No cloth or non-leather panels are allowed.”

Reason: People still show up with illegal leathers.

This was due to a couple of incidents, in particular when a guy stepped off his bike at 145 ish mph because it was on fire and he got too hot
and another where a guy burned himself when his blow off valve, which was poorly placed, blew off. this also prompted a separate rule change

options
1.Affix a patch over the perforations and stretch panels
2.wear fire proof underwear under your leathers
3. go to the back of the rule book and find the page marked rule change
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I saw that in Feb 2012

Check it out with a PM to Grumm with some Pics of the Perforations in the arm pit and back of the knee.

DLRA 2013 Rule Book pg 65 and the 2012 SCTA Rule Book pg 112

7.C.2 Leathers:
One-piece or two-piece 350 deg. (zipped together) all leather is required. Limited perforations are allowed
in armpit and back of knee. No cloth or non-leather panels are allowed.
Fairing (leather or cloth only) on
the back of leathers is allowed in partial streamlined classes only.

This is what is in the Rule book, that is all I am looking at, the previous rules had the Nomex allowance, but I can't see it stated in the SCTA based rules we now have.

I got Logged for my interpretation of the "Limited perforations" under the previous Rules, went and got Nomex, then we adopted the SCTA rules. Then my Suit did not comply as it had stretch inserts and perforations on the front. I ended up having to replace them (a long story).

So the new suit is All Leather with no perforations.

The only thing is that this Rule has been in for a couple of years now, so hopefully we now have a consistent rule in place.

I like what Harky did and that is to get the Panels replaced in the existing Suit, that is a way to keep what we got and comply.

Pete

DLRA #866