Air Bag Suspension

Moderator: DLRA

Mopar Man

Air Bag Suspension

Post by Mopar Man »

Does anyone know the advantges / disadvantages of air bag suspension? Any advice appreciated!

I don't know alot about it although I drove trucks with them and know the basic principles...
DLRA member # 486
Dave 250

Post by Dave 250 »

Differences?

Steel springs have linear response - if 200Kg load gives 50mm of compression (4kg per mm), then another 100kg will give 25mm more travel (still 4kg per mm). Very predictable, cheap & reliable.

Air bags have a logarithmic response - if 200kg gives 1/2 of you total compression (say 50mm out of 100 before the spring bottoms out) then another 200kg will only give 25mm more travel. A further 200kg will give only 12.5mm travel. ie. Air bags have built in rising rate & resist bottoming out, are adjustable, & can break.

If I had the money I would consider air.
Dave
Doug Odom

Post by Doug Odom »

I have run air bag suspension on 2 successful LSR cars and like them very much. Most LSR cars want very little suspension travel. Proper air bags will give you the vibration isolation that you want without excessive wheel travel.
If you are going to be at Lake Gairdner this year come by and talk to me and I will try and help with any questions you might have about how I used them.
Doug Odom leaving for OZ in 3 days.
Speed costs money, How fast can you afford to go?
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Talking to Dave Partridge about absorbing car vibration (not ride bumps, just the shakes from a stiffened race car). This year he's going to try a water filled spare tyre in the back of the RX7. Hydro-something absorption. He's not sure how much vibration is soaked up, but reckons it does work.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Mopar Man

Post by Mopar Man »

Thanks guys, I'm just weighing up options as to what could be an effective suspension for high speed.

doug odom wrote:If you are going to be at Lake Gairdner this year come by and talk to me and I will try and help with any questions you might have about how I used them.

Would love to Doug and appreciate the offer, although I won't be there this year. It was a toss up between going to Speedweek or getting my V8 Chrysler back on the road.... Due to costs, unfortunately I can't do both. I'll PM you with my email address.
DLRA member # 486