M/C Safety: Leathers for 2013

Moderator: DLRA

harky

Re: M/C Safety: Leathers for 2013

Post by harky »

thanks pete for the mention ,
some might see this as a bit over the top ,

My leathers now have No perforations and I will wear nomex as well ( might have to loose a few kilos to fit)
I have high pressure fuel system ( injection ) betwwen my legs and while I ( and the rest of us ) are fussy about fuel hoses and systems ,it only takes a stray
con rod or other parts to turn things to ---nasty ---- between legs ---- fire
as I said in one of my other ramblings , there is a Youtube clip that convinced me
the safety thing ----- perforation / no perforations is a no brainer -------- look @ Youtube
same old , same old --- if you got a cheap head ---- wear a cheap helment ----- it applies to alot of things
the responses will be interesting !!!!
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I agree Harky

I am going to wear the Nomex I got under my suit. I got open Carbs below my own Bellytank.

I just wanted to point out that we had a Rule Change and although it's might be seen as a problem, it's what we have until a Rule Change is submitted and agreed upon.

This is my third Suit, the first one I had problem with the Pants thanks to me listening to the wrong salesman, :oops: I should know by now!

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
zork

Post by zork »

Well I am going to go and get suspect areas refilled with leather, perhaps they could use my wallet as it will be empty again.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

The nomex thing was Gary Bakers suggestion because fire risk was one of the concerns with perforated leathers
Gary is the fire guy
It is not in the rulebook, it is however a good idea and helpful with your negotiation with me if I am not happy with your leathers
Although, if you turn up with a suit that is perforated all over you will not be running
The big thing about leather is that holds heat , so when you slide you can get a burn without wearing a hole in the leathers. Nomex undies should help
I have a burn scar on my chest after I hit roo and used my helmet and guts for brakes while trying to dodge my bike which was trying to run me over
The thing you should remember is we a running a meeting about 200 ks from anywhere. If it goes wrong for you, and you have to go to a hospital
the flying doctor will not land on the lake

Moving on

At Bonneville Speedweek, your leathers are inspected and a button is then affixed that the starter can see before you run
You also get a helmet sticker which the starter checks before you run
We don't do that , yet.
In three years at Bonneville I have only seen one guy sent back to tech inspection/impound for a leathers violation. He was sent home

in other news
There was a rule change application put up at the recent SCTA rules meeting for a change to the motorcycle leathers rules
It was approved, although at this time I'm not sure exactly what it was but it did involve stretch panels in the armpits and kneepits.
Yep. Kneepits. must be a new American word.
When I know you will know
G
They make it
I make it work
Montlhery

Post by Montlhery »

Thanks for the clarification Grayem , Is it too late to submit a rule change form ? Also I understand the perforation business however should we send you detailed photos to get your opinion ? As the leathers I have ,have approx 12 holes in the arms . I dont think any of us want to get to the salt and not be allowed to run because of leathers. I know first hand what it is like to slide along the salt at speed and I do not want to do it again . I burnt a sausepan size hole in my shoulder . one thing that would have stop it was the new dainese back protector with shoulder extensions :
1875952_001_F_1_1 (430x600).jpg
1875952_001_F_1_1 (430x600).jpg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 22381 times
Also on the hump , I would see this more saftey item then streamlining . From what i have been told by other racers a small hump has a negilable streamlining effect and I would like propose that a height be set of the hump at say over 10 cm is streamlining under is not. I would have much prefered to have burnt a hole in the hump(did not have hump when I came off) then my shoulder . The other problem which I see is the waiting in line for your run in your leathers ,which will lead to sweating . I know that waiting is part of the game and that you want to be ready for the starter . I am not sure the answers to this one . If riders strip down to their nomex suits and when called put there leathers and boots on at the time ,it will lead to holding up the starter which we dont want to do .Perhaps some more shades at the start line ? I am not sure how many the club has but possible grab a few more as per Penny's suggestion from Hills . I would be willing to bring a few up .
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

As one of the starters...

Maybe if we have a spare shade cover we could have a nice possie for the bike guys to leave from. Alternatively, a supermodel with a brolly would be appreciated.

Lynchy
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

You might find the more shade there is on the start line the more people just stand around in it

As for the "safety hump"
you can call it whatever you want
in open class it is considered streamlining and will bump you into partial streamlining
I don't run the rule book, if you look an the contacts page it has a link to Gary Satara who does
The rule change form is in the back of the rulebook
I have also tried to organise a supermodel with a brolly, but she ended up heading over to Stoopy and Squiggles pit
G
They make it
I make it work
RGV

Post by RGV »

Lynchy wrote:As one of the starters...

Maybe if we have a spare shade cover we could have a nice possie for the bike guys to leave from. Alternatively, a supermodel with a brolly would be appreciated.

Lynchy
Ill second that. :)

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

The Hump being a safety enhancement is an Urban myth.

It has been identified as an impediment for Emergency workers

A quote from INJURY-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF THE CARE OF THE INJURED

http://scenario.www.helibikes.co.uk/Res ... rticle.pdf

‘‘Speed humps’’ during intubation and cervical spine control

There remains a great degree of confusion about the
role of speed humps, even within the motorcycling
fraternity itself. They were initially conceived to
improve the aerodynamics of a helmeted rider in a
racing crouch on a competition motorcycle. In some
instances they contain data-logging devices to allow
race teams to collect information on the various
forces acting on rider and motorcycle, and in hotter
climates they have been modified to contain fluid. In
recent years they have become a fashion item for
the non-competitive motorcyclist, and are now a
common feature on leathers. They are not, and
never have been, a safety device, and indeed make
management of the airway and spine more difficult
in the injured motorcyclist Figs. 3 and 4.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Interesting
G
They make it
I make it work
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

"the hump" is a fashion statement, in its present form worth two parts of stuff all to aero , :) ,

however, imho, if we reshaped, enlarged and extend it to cover all of your back significant improvement to aero would be evident, :wink: ,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

I got my leathers yesterday - very happy. There are a few minor issues but otherwise pretty good :)

I provided the following spec and this is pretty much what I got :) I measured as stated in the ad and a back protector fits in snuggly.

http://www.vespalabs.org/User:Internets ... _Race_Suit

It was $400, including updating to all leather and custom logos.

If anyone is interested PM me and I will pass on the details. It took a couple of weeks to get.

P.S. Yes I went with the fashion statement hump :wink:
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
RGV

Post by RGV »

Leathers look good Paul, especially for the price.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
zork

Post by zork »

Oh yeah, very spiffy.
Cheers JD.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Hey Paul
Remind me to tell you the story that Tom Evans told me about all white leathers and engine stop lanyards
next time I see you
G
They make it
I make it work