Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Re: Shaguar

Post by Rob »

We're at plan "H" I think.

We worked on the car and bus until after 2am before commen sense prevailed. Both are pretty much done now, head restraint bars need to be fixed in place for the Jag and the Hans pegs put ino the helmet for Gaz and then we'll load up and head south west.

See you there,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Just spoke with the guys - they are just loading the Jag now and will be on the road this afternoon. I got sent a photo of the bonnet with the Jag mascot mounted which I'll post over the weekend. It looks good!
big chook

Post by big chook »

Goodluck Lynchy the car looks a winner standing still . cheers Mick
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Just spoke to Big Gaz in the bus. They left Renmark at 7:00pm Brisbane time so that's about 7:30ish SA time??? They are heading for Berri and will stay there for the night and will get to the Gutta in the morning - stock up on food - and then on to the lake by middayish Sunday.

Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gaz and I made it home today at around 3:30pm. Both the car and the bus went flawlessly.... almost. The salt was very dry and super hard with almost zero on all vehicles on the lake. The road out between the lake and the windmill turned into 2 foot deep bulldust and sand. We were trapped by 2/3 of Chris Hanlon's team with their truck and trailer bogged. Gaz's dad eventually pulled them out with his trusty Landcruiser and we were on our way by 8pm or so.

Monday.
Run #1 for a 125mph license, the car got too hot before the run and fouled a plug as it left the line for a "fluffy"pass. 45'C in the shade on the salt and it felt that and more.
Tuesday.
Run #2 and 125mph license acheived, no issue with the car, it ran like a top.
Run #3 and 150mph license, same as for the 125.
Wednesday.
Off to the timed track for the 175mph license and chute pull. A bit too fast through mile one, Gaz slowed a bit much and pulled the chute at the 2 1/4 on bad advice. Timed speed was 144mph, chute worked fine, car went fine and the GPS told of a much higher top speed.
Thursday.
Run #4, again for the 175mph license. Chute was pulled at the 3 Mile marker as is required and the timed speed was around 182mph.
Friday.
200mph license, we got to the line then there was a stoppage. Our turn came and Gaz said the car was doing fine. Just before mile 2 the bonnet buckled from pressure in the engine bay then pulled from the latches popping up. This spoiled the cars aero and it broke traction, slewing first left then back right for a full spin, unfortunately taking out the 2 mile timer with it. When backward the bonnet was pulled forward right down onto the salt, was twisted to the right as the car came around then slammed shut as it got straight and Gaz caught it to drive off the salt.

Damage to the car is superficial requiring a new bonnet, grill and front bar, some repair to the right rear 1/4 panel and a new rim for that side. The tyre remained inflated.

We're both bloody tired as is Gaz's dad no doubt. I'll post some pics and video later assuming I'm still awake. If not, tomorrow.

If anyone has a good photo of the Landcruiser at full noise pushing off the Jag please post it up. I couldn't get one as I was running the GPS start line or crewing on the car.

Thanks to all those who volunteered and made it happen, particularly those that came forward when others did not meet their commitment(s).

I'll let Gaz fill in the details.

Cheers,
Rob
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Woohoo, great stuff, well done boys.

Pictures please when you are back to earth.

Dik
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rob

It was good to hear from you guys the other night. Good that the car is basically OK and no injuries. Next Year!!!!!

Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Paul,

I said to Gaz at least 20 times it was only superficial damage. We ate at Balranald and bugger me, a mate yells out as we are walking back to the bus. I forgot he lived there. He came and looked at the car and said "It's only superficial damage." I just looked at Gaz and laughed.

Bonnet, grill and front bumper and the front is ok although the right guard has a small dent/scratch where the bonnet got it. Repair the right rear quarter and a new back wheel and I think it will be ready to go again.

I've downloaded all pics and video but am off to bed, have to work in the am so will process and upload them tomorrow afternoon. I videoed the push off and start of the 200mph license pass but the GoPro went flat. Aint it always the way!

Thanks Dik, you have to be happy with a 215 pass too, albeit from across the globe!!!

Rob
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Sounds like a wild ride! :o

Glad to hear Car and Gaz all good!

Each step is a bonus! get there, Tech, Run, 150, 175, Chute etc.....

Youve come a long way with a car that had not turned a wheel....

Well done :P
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Quick Teaser

Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rob

That looks awesome!! I cant wait to see more photos of the car. Good to see it dwarfed by Boris' Toyota as well. Looking at the front bar, it probably would have been good to have an airdam out there, but for time........

Lynchy
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Wow! Stunning; a real weapon. :twisted:

It just looks so right on the salt!

Makes not going feel even worse now! :roll:
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Being a bit of an Anglophile, this was the best looking car on the salt for me. Sounded good as well, just think what it will be like a V12 :D
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Rob

Post by Rob »

As of spin o'clock last Friday it doesn't look quite like that.

Pics after I grab the young bloke from school.
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

Top work.. and having seen how well this car is built, any panel damage will be Only Superficial!