Speedweek 2014

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

outbacktrev

Re: Speedweek 2014

Post by outbacktrev »

Great news about the shade structures being sponsored :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Who's going to erect them and dismantle and stow them correctly at the end of the meeting, which is generally Friday when most racers have gone :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cheers,
Trevor
rgn

Post by rgn »

the shade could come off at night, and the structures remain if they are the type I'm thinking off? Sand bag them. I'll put them away on Friday.

I don't understand negativity about something that with out a question is required, and thankfully is being provided. Even with out sponsorship it would have to have happened for next year. Not only is it common sense, it is duty of care. What is the point you are making Trev?
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Without Trev having to bust a boiler reliving his Friday afternoon, there were a number of jobs and tasks that "were left for somebody else to do".
And unfortunately a lot of this fell back to Trev. Shit there was even a non-member picking up stuff and bringing it back to the camp long after many entrants and members had snuck away.
I can fully understand people wanting to leave early, but entrants especially still have a duty to help with the event.

Next years entry form will have a new section in it for the jobs register, note it is no longer called a volunteers register, as it is no longer voluntary.
Your entry will not be processed unless it is complete, this includes nominating a day, time and task for the job register.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
rgn

Post by rgn »

Greg, as you are aware my team and I turned up to the DLRA van on friday afternoon asking, do you have any jobs? We did what was asked of us prior to being dismissed by yourself :D

I also notice how many people left prior to friday...

I also noticed how much work gets done by the core people (where is that cheers smilie?)

Why aren't more of the committee present on the forum? The forum has to become better served by the committee, duty is a two way street.

I'm always open to criticism. Cheers. (clink clink)
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Yes you did and I appreciate that very much. My comments were certainly not directed to you specifically.
To my mind Friday remains the best day, not as many people around and lots of big numbers on the track. Just wish there were more around to help pack up.
I know several committee members look in here from time to time, but I'm happy to suggest that they might like to make themselves more visible.
The good news is we have a lot of the car and bike scrutineers on here (past and present) and they are willing to help.
And "constructive" criticism is always a good thing, but walk a mile in my shoes first.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

rgn,
My point is as Greg (DLRA) has pointed out :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
I and a couple of others didn't get out of the DLRA camp until 1800hr SATURDAY, putting stuff away which others had volunteered for and didn't complete :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cleaning out the coolroom which was left with empty boxes and food still inside, would have been good next year :roll: :roll:
People put stuff in the club coolroom the same people can remove it and dispose of their rubbish, funnily enough there is no rubbish collection at the Lake YOU take out what YOU bring in :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Several broken camp chairs were found around the area, YOU brought it, YOU broke it, YOU take it home :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: The auction shed was left with many beer bottles and cans and needed a good sort out before we could leave :? :? :? :? :? :?
More specifically approx 40 track mats had to be picked up and delivered and stowed back at the DLRA camp from the Lake. These mats are bloody heavy and awkward. The trailer which was being used was not really up to the task and the mats had to be picked up and delivered in 2 long trips from the Lake to the DLRA camp (Thanks to Brook (46) and Dave (66)) Cled blew the average age out of the water :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
These mats which were bought to protect the access to the track and cost the club $300 each which meant $12000 worth of mats needed to be picked up and stowed.
The people left to pack up stuff on SATURDAY had an average age of 62yrs who where busting their butts in the stinking heat :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Where was the duty of care there :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Sorry, rgn, still a miffed at the attitude of some club members and the bigger the group is getting the worse its getting.
Keep pushing the doer's too hard and there will be none :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Cheers,
Trevor #298
rgn

Post by rgn »

DLRA wrote: but I'm happy to suggest that they might like to make themselves more visible.
I'm 100% DLRA. I'm a member and participant. I have said before, I think the old days are over. I don't think this necessarily needs to be a bad thing? Tradition rich sports need to have tradition preserved, however we need to move with the times.

Our elected people (when was that meeting?) need to operate with a higher level of confidence and integrity. Cled, when he came out to berate the start line motorcycle group about not being present at the AGM, suggested better communication by the committee was required?

I'm saying a higher level of integrity is required.

The terms of the DLRA constitution where ignored in Feb. 2013. And essentially the meeting outcomes could be declared null and void.

A constitutional requirement was ignored. 16:6 requires that members are advised with 30 days notice in writing of any general meeting (including annual) And the notice will set out when and where the meeting will be held, and the nature and particulars of the business to be transacted at the meeting.

All members need to be informed, forum as such does not cut it. Mail out is the only appropriate form of communication.

The constitution in no way requires the elected committee to consult with membership, but I feel it should be a desire of the committee?

All successful modern family businesses these days have succession plans, and I feel that the DLRA is a family business?

I think that in the same way that the membership has to think that the DLRA as an organization has its best interests in mind; The DLRA committee has to think that the membership has a voice that needs to be listened to at an appropriate time and place in February.

There is another major problem I see with the Constitution, that is that a 75% percent membership vote is required for any change of it. With a membership number, and not financial membership requirement, a 75% vote may be impossible in the future.

Let me say that I consider the constitution was written with the best interests of the sport of Land Speed Racing at heart. I fear without amendment while sufficient members are alive or active, it may paralyze the sport.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hope Bridgey is ok Chris!

Heat on the GPS start line was a big issue, particularly on the Monday and especially for bikes. Black leathers and helmets aren't the ideal equipment for a few hours in the sun and I won't even mention the club's penchant for black t-shirts. At least in a car the driver is in the shade and you can open the doors for some form of cross breeze.

After I had to pull one rider from his outfit and get the doctor to him we unscrewed the volunteers 3x3 shelter and moved it onto the left side of the start line allowing the next couple of bikes in line to get some shade prior to their leaving. We (the volunteers) used up a good portion of our own water rehydrating or cooling riders down. Every rider needs someone with a water bottle and umbrella in their support crew next year. Thanks to Cled for driving around on the Monday giving us refills although room temp. wasn't the best it was better than no water. I can not remember a day in my life where I've drunk that much and not had to walk the dog!

If we are going to continue to run an event in these temperatures we need a constant supply of CHILLED water for volunteers as a minimum and someone to keep these filled all week. An clean Esky with a tap fitted to it would work fine, I loaned Gary my large insulated water container that they topped up with ice daily and it had 20 or 30 litres of chilled water still in it each morning.

There were a number of issues at the meeting and a number of people did not attend intentionally, I have no idea why... if you didn't go, you cannot comp;lain about the outcomes. I finished the start line, packed up the gear and got back to the registration van only to find the meeting was on in an hour. We got to the canteen, ate and made it back with 5 minutes to spare.

Are the rule changes made at the meeting legal given we have procedures for rule changes and these were not followed? I don't know but it's a question that needs answering by someone who does.

One tractor and drag is not enough, when I enquired about why we only had one turnout for the GPS track I was told we didn't have enough prep time. In 2010 we had two tractors and two drags going and it's neither right nor fair that Andrew had to be out there dragging the tracks again at night because they were not up to par. I heard the main track was rough, the GPS track was bad enough on the Monday that were getting jostled in a Landcruiser, that and feedback from several riders at the pre-race inspection caused the cancelling of 175mph bike licensing on the GPS track.

Berating individuals isn't going to achieve anything for the club. We need to mark the known issues, find workable solutions to them and find them now so we have almost a year to implement them.

I'll stop now or this will become a novel.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
RGV

Post by RGV »

Hope the patient is on the mend and up and about soon. But its the responsibility of the individual to keep themselves safe not the DLRA. I was in the line at the pre stage area for 4 HRS on Tuesday afternoon and yes it was uncomfortable but with a bit of planing and common sense not dangerous. I also had a run on the GPS track on Monday afternoon. One was enough in those conditions. Im am healthy but by no stretch of the imagination would I consider myself fit, that will change before next year to maximise my chances of enjoying the event although I certainly did enjoy this years event but If I was fitter I would have been more able to recover quicker for the next days heat. By Friday I had just about run out of steam.
I saw quite a few people sitting in their support vehicles with their A/C running and in my opinion that isnt the right thing to do in such extreme conditions. Nice when you are sitting in the 20c cab then when you get out to the 40c+, no time to acclimatize before getting into your leathers or hot race car cab.

I would like to thank David Leikvold for volunteering to hand out cool wet towels to all competitors next year. :lol:

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
JonB

Post by JonB »

Research has shown in hot conditions that going into a "cool room" is beneficial, it helps get body core temperature down.
Red alert days (above 40 degrees apparent temperature, calculated from temp and humidity) our outside workers (doing physical work) have to spend 10 minutes of every hour in a cool room.

I found this on public domain so I don't mind sharing: http://www.csghseforum.org/Lists/Team%2 ... 008-09.pdf

jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
RGV

Post by RGV »

Fair enough, I had not read anything about it, was just my opinion. Ya learn something every day.
What temp should the cool room be set at? Is it a % of the outside temp?

Dave

Edit. Just had a look at the link. SANTOS hey. I worked in the Cooper Basin in the early 90s for a company contracted to Santos, they looked after their own but the contractors were expected to do the stuff that SANTOS staff wouldnt do no matter what the temperature was. I hope its changed up there now.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

No worries Dave, one for you and one for your fuel tank :D ? We'll all finish up looking like extras on the set of Lawrence of Arabia! Seriously though, we certainly could have a number of wet towels in cool water tubs in the shade. Everything helps.

Trev, nobody left the start line on Friday afternoon until there was nothing left to do. We had a lot of help to pack up. When we all left there was almost no evidence we'd ever been there. We hung around Animal's bus but nobody asked us to help with anything else. We had to leave by 3pm because one of our group had to be back in Sydney for work on Monday morning. Perhaps a way to get more people to help with the pack up is to make it part of the Volunteer Register and remind people frequently during the week that a lot of help is needed with getting everything put away.

Jon, those monthly temperature averages were very interesting, did you have rainfall figures to go with them? I seem to remember reading years ago that March was the best time for us for temp and rain, but obviously that isn't reliable. In the cooler months the rains come.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey everyone
Chris-- sorry to hear about Scott and verry glad he is on the mend.
Monday was verry hot. Myself and the rest of my team were verry concious of the heat-- we drank lots of water ( but probably not enough) slip slop slaped all
week and had no ill effects.
What I did see that really amazed me was racers with their leathers or driving sutes on the first thing in the morning and waiting ALL day in the sun for a run.
WHY
My son and I start putting our leathers on maybe 4 vehicles before our turn.
It takes about 20 minutes to run those vehicles whuch should be enough time for anybody to sute up and get strapped into a car.
Now we ALL have a recovery vehicle at the start ther should be no excuse not to have water and shade in the line.
cheers Bones
JonB

Post by JonB »

RGV wrote: Edit. Just had a look at the link. SANTOS hey. I worked in the Cooper Basin in the early 90s for a company contracted to Santos, they looked after their own but the contractors were expected to do the stuff that SANTOS staff wouldnt do no matter what the temperature was. I hope its changed up there now.
A lot better than it used to be, I was there in the early 80s and went away for a while.
Blueshirts still don't work, I'm a blueshirt.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
rgn

Post by rgn »

JonB wrote: Blueshirts still don't work, I'm a blueshirt.
Ohh come on...? More of a under-house genius I would say. For F-sake............ :D

Sorry i missed you out there Jon B.