Woomera1 - Glen Davis (Wheel Driven Land Speed Record)

Information about the history of all forms of land speed racing in Australia

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Woomera1 - Glen Davis (Wheel Driven Land Speed Record)

Post by DLRA »

Why didn't I know about this before now??
While searching for new videos from 2013 Speed Week I found a video with the title "Land Speed Record" showing a streamliner I had never seen before.
Was able to catch the drivers name off the video and then a fair bit of Googleing later I now have this...

http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land- ... davis.html
http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land- ... mera1.html

From what I have read today, this was supposed to have been fairly popular in SA at the time, and as far as I can figure Glen was from SA, but now lives in VIC. From a couple of other forums it seems that he's also trying to track down the current owner.

Anybody know anything about it?
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
hawkwind

Re: Woomera1 - Glen Davis (Wheel Driven Land Speed Record)

Post by hawkwind »

lastI heard it was in the USA.......Im more than suprised they gave up so quickly ...was when they started and still am .....the salt fever bug must have been on an RDO that week
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Pete Noy knows a fair bit about this car and allegedly there were a lot of people well out of pocket in supplying parts and services to Glen Davis.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

The car is sitting behind a shed with other junk near El Mirage from memory. It had a number of different names, depending on which town he was getting sponsorship from. Not saying anymore about it on here.
Pete Noy.
DLRA #6
SATA #3
Garth04

Post by Garth04 »

Being the Chief Timer for DLRA at the time, Glen organized with the DLRA to hire our equipment so we could time his shake down runs before he could go for a serious attempt.
I spent 3 whole weeks sitting out on the lake with the old millisecond timer that we use to use, waiting for Glen to make an attempt. Then returned every weekend for 2 more weeks until the rain put an end to his aspirations.
The car did pass by the timing set up 3 times in total, twice actually through the beams and once totally off coarse. His fastest speed recorded was 211mph.
Glen still owes the DLRA $800 for the use of the timing equipment, and me personally much more.
There was a quote at the time describing Woomera1, "Designed by NASA, built by Fred Flintstone" such true words.
Chief Timer 1990-1996
DLRA #4
craigt

Post by craigt »

g'day guys...ive been reading this thread and i thought i should put my two bobs worth in.
I find the running down of Glens character a bit un-Australian.
Yes the car was built mostly from sponsored products, but it shows that people could see the importance of the cars existence/purpose. glens intention was never to RIP anyone
Other people that were involved(workers,investors and sponsors) realized this also and that's why there was so much invested here, be it time, money or whatever into the project.
Myself, i invested 3-4yrs of my life/time working on the car every day.
The car was always known as "birth of a challenge" and towns that gave Glen "sponsorship" would of done so willingly. This sponsorship was mostly product support not monetary. In the case of Maryborough city council, a place to build/store the car.
We all should remember the Car was built on a shoe string budget and most of the time we ate baked beans every day. But it was an experience i wont forget and will always cherish. working on this car got me along way in life and i would not do a thing different if i had my time over(well one thing i would of done different would of been stay on the team until the day it went to the USA)
im very sorry @Garth04 that glen did not pay you for the time and effort you put in.
and please tell me which part of the car was built by Fred Flinstone...
When all else fails, read the instructions...
DLRA #1332
craigt

Post by craigt »

Here is the front page of the Maryborough advertiser back in the 90's Image
DLRA #1332
craigt

Post by craigt »

Some images from my colection: ImageImageImageImage
DLRA #1332
craigt

Post by craigt »

DLRA #1332