Lake Condition for March 2015

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

momec3

Re: Lake Condition for March 2015

Post by momec3 »

My record running the startline was 132 Dave. Get with the program buddy :P . We have been complaining about the comms for a very long time but the startline is always the poor cousin. Maybe the message has got through at last. :twisted:
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Paul, I didn't think it would be likely, but the extra width would still be handy if we needed good salt later in the week.

Chris, sorry Chief, I'll try harder next time! I think we're a good chance of making 1,000 runs in 2016 with the two tracks as they were this year and no major incidents. Would be even better if we had two long tracks.

What do readers think of re-introducing the GPS track as well? Use the club's GPS units or bring your own. Please come up with your own ideas, we have plenty of time to refine ideas into something that could maybe revolutionise our procedures.

:mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Need staff for a GPS track, would also need a third rescue crew to keep it safe. Just make 2 very efficient tracks first.
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Dave, mate you may not realize it, but, every competitor wants to be "in ya face" lookin down course, knowing their next, 8) ,, Thankyou for the job that you do, :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dave

Yeah, I agree with Chris. Make 2 tracks work well + there aren't enough people willing to help to get a third running. BTW - the surveyor had marked up a track beside the operational track as we had requested. The additional markers making it easier to flop if we had to. Last time we had to use a very long string line to work it out.

Lynchy
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

"Thanks Norm, I think maybe I need help fullstop :D !~ (from Dave)
What happened to the volunteers? I was one of the designated start line assistant Monday morning, then lined up with the bike in the afternoon only to find Dave running the whole track on his own, so finished up as start line assistant all day.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

And did a fine job of it too. I think for 2016 my brother can have the headset back, I'll be the belt checker and one of Norm Hardinge's crew can be the cat herder. Of course there's always the possibility that I might be running the short course (Track 2?) in which case Pete could stay on the radio on the long course, One of Norm's guys could be the belt checker and another volunteer could get everyone in single file. If I gather two people of calibre to help me we should be fine. I would like a mix of new people and experienced people so that we develop a pool of people who know how to do the job. I might win Lotto this week and start building my J/BFS :D.

I really think we'll be OK on both tracks in 2016, just because of the number of people who went out of their way to help me this year, not just with volunteering but also making sure I was coping. It's a great job standing out in the sun on the salt all day. I'm serious, I really do enjoy it, especially when it is all going smoothly and quickly. The cooperative vibe of Speedweek is hard to beat.

The white hat I was wearing was brilliantly cool and comfortable, I saw a photo of the starter at Bonneville wearing the same thing so I got mine from the Sun Smart Shop in Brisbane. When I got home I went back to the shop and bought the face mask piece as well. I won't need any sunscreen next year. Get one for yourself, they are way more effective than a normal hat.

Paul and Chris, you're both right, two efficient tracks first, expansion after that.

Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!