Open Invitation to 2016 DLRA Speed Week

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

DLRA
Site Admin

Open Invitation to 2016 DLRA Speed Week

Post by DLRA »

The Dry Lakes Racers of Australia would like to offer an open invitation to any racer thinking about the adventure of a lifetime and coming to Australia to compete at the DLRA 2016 Speed Week.

We can provide expertise with vehicle transportation both from the US to Australia and within Australia, we can also advise on things like accommodation, car hire, provisions, directions. We have a number of fellow racers who are only too willing to help you achieve your dreams and goals.

By providing a point of focus, we are also looking to be able to make sharing arrangements and keep costs low.

With the Aussie dollar now down to 68 cents US, the exchange rate is definitely working in your favour.

We know your pain because we have been there ourselves.

Contact us at;
Dry Lakes Racers Australia
PO Box 349
Castlemaine VIC 3450
Ph:03 5472 4629
Fax: 03 5472 3194
secretary@dlra.org.au

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
hawkwind

Re: Open Invitation to 2016 DLRA Speed Week

Post by hawkwind »

Encouraging all those responses from that other site this is posted......any bites to date?
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Talked to a couple of people who have some interest
its a big commitment , but given current circumstances here , better than thin wet Bonneville salt
hope it gains enough momentum to get a container or 2 of vehicles
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

May i suggest that the DLRA sends invites to all the indivual/associated LandSpeed clubs in the States (particulay in California). Also to the USFRA,, The majority of LandSpeed folks do not frequent internet sites, most in the States are "Club Orientated", and if we can get them talking, maybe some will get themselves orginised and make the commetiment,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Ron, the invitation has been sent to the SCTA, as it was the cancellation of their event that started this. Plus it will be in the next issue of Bonneville Racing News.
The DLRA have also taken out an ad in the soon to be published 2 volume book set produced by the Save the Salt alliance, using the graphic above.

We have already received a number of requests for assistance, if these guys end up coming, you will not want to miss 2016!
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Sounds good Greg. The Nitro Ninja Team are planning on being there with the bike's , 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Just a bit of an update, we have a few enquire, but nothing real solid yet.
I've prepared some pages to try and further encourage some along.
You can check them out at http://www.dlra.org.au/international-visitors.htm
If anyone has something they'd like to add just email me.

Micheal Brixton has very generously offered some yard space for containers etc and he's only 10 mins from the Port. And he's offered to pick people up and get them organised, which is a great start. David Moore has also offered assistance. Paul Lynch is handling any enquiries.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Greg a canet may be more suitable than importing and exporting
i dont think its cheaper , but it does seem to get stuff through the port fairly well if they know its only coming out for a short time then leaving again
frenchinjection

Post by frenchinjection »

I will be visiting s/w 2016 but without my bike. It is more of a fact finding trip with my daughter as part of a holiday. We arrive in Adelaide on 27th to collect 4wd and then head on up to the salt. Hope to meet up with you all then.

Steve
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

frenchinjection wrote:I will be visiting s/w 2016 but without my bike. It is more of a fact finding trip with my daughter as part of a holiday. We arrive in Adelaide on 27th to collect 4wd and then head on up to the salt. Hope to meet up with you all then.

Steve
Any questions Steve, now is the time.
Once you turn onto the dirt at Iron Knob, you're pretty much on your own. Well apart from all the traffic for Speed Week.
See you on the salt.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Welcome aboard Steve.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Hello Frenchinjection,
If the 4wd you are hiring is a Toyota Landcruiser Troopy from a yard just near the airport you need to know that the mattress in the pop top section is only about an inch thick. Get yourself an air bed from a camping store so you can actually sleep at night. Also make sure they give you detailed instructions on how to keep the fridge battery charged. Ours went flat in a couple of days. Also make sure that the gas stove works properly, ours didn't and made cooking a complete pain. Get them to check the engine oil before you drive off, ours barely reached the dipstick when we checked it at the lake. It was obvious they hadn't checked it in a very long time. Make sure they give you a couple of chairs, they aren't automatically included. The satellite phone we hired from them didn't work at all. You won't need one. When Speedweek is over you will be so sick of living in the Troopy that you will gladly pay for a motel in Port Augusta on the Friday night. There is no guarantee that it will be warm at night or in the mornings. Pack something warm as well as the hot weather clothing. Wear long pants and sleeves and a hat and sunscreen every day. Do NOT try to get a tan. Pommies have been known to spontaneously combust when they try! Speedweek is a real adventure, you will have fun!

Cheers,
David and Peter Leikvold
Long Course (Track 1) Starters
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
frenchinjection

Post by frenchinjection »

David, Peter. Thanks for the advice ref the troopy. I will make sure everything works and is included. As for getting a tan, I've done Bonneville 3 times. Check out saltbike775.co.uk
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Nice website. Makes me want to build a bike!

:mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
zork

Post by zork »

Nice bike!!!