WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

gennyshovel

Re: WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

Post by gennyshovel »

Very enjoyable build diary Gus, be sure not to do a "Frase" and pump all the oil up top & starve the bottom :shock: ,,that was a learning curve that hurt.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Gus

Post by Gus »

Ha, yea we spoke about that possibility just last Monday. Our dyno guy suggested we do a loaded run for 3 min to simulate that situation. Also we have a decent 20 psi oil light under our noses. In theory it should come on before damaging too much. But it's all theory right now.
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I cant agree more. A dyno run under load for 3 minutes should give you an idea if you have enough oil capacity. There are definitely benefits to a dry sump system with 3 gallons of oil. I know first hand how much this can hurt parts.
Oil temp is generally not a problem because there is very little heat in the oil when you leave the line despite what the coolant temp might be. The dyno will tell you a lot.
GAZ
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Some mates of mine did the recent Aussie Drag Week in a big block 55 Chev.
They travelled from Mildura almost back to Heathcote with a broken oil pickup before she gave up the ghost.
I know this is not the same situation, under full noise is totally different, just an observation.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well the body has had a bit of paint splashed around inside and is pretty much ready to go back on the chassis for final assembly and paint. We've decided we'll finish the car with primer only on the outside this year, as who knows what well change after we get our first run in. So as we have a can of black primer its gonna be black. decision made.
20161206_085331.jpg
20161206_085331.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 38056 times
20161211_140213.jpg
20161211_140213.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 38056 times
20161206_173353.jpg
20161206_173353.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 38056 times
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
momec3

Post by momec3 »

In all of our runs in both the F100 and the AU Ute we have suffered with oil temp issues. I like to leave the line with the oil 'cold'' 65C-70C.
Our coolant temp never exceeds 110C on the whole run but especially the F100 the oil temp just climbs.
I ONLY watch the oil temp gauge and click it regardless of where we are when it hits 150C.

This year we are going to 20L dry sump with a Verdi 5 stage pump and supercar style coolant to oil style cooler.
This should allow an extra mile and might gain us 3-5mph.
Our problem is we are pushing about 8 ton of wind at 170mph from an aspirated 300ci so the oil is working.

Video (or data log) your gauges because this info will help you immensely when you get home with next years setup.
I also run a cheap dash cam because of all the info you can gain on a run. (cheaper than Motec).
Chris
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

A lot cheaper than a Motec!!!! Isn't that right Big Gaz!!
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

More than correct!
Gus

Post by Gus »

I really didn't think the oil temp would be too much of an issue on a 5 minute run.
Do you guys baby your motors and warm them up a bit before you go? Or do you treat them like a drag motor, chill them down, fire em up and send it? We plan on running 5w-40 full synthetic, so the warm up wasn't going to be in our plan, just fire it up check we have oil pressure and go. I know it goes against the grain a bit.

We have a basic high compression small block with mostly stock oiling system. Bit of windage control, high volume pan and the larger 0.065" restrictors in the lifter oil feeds. A simple way of adding oil cooling would be to put one of those sandwich plates in between the filter and run a remote cooler i guess.

Good idea on the dash cam telemetry system, that's in our budget!!

Tight fit! but it fits!!
Hudson 001.jpg
Hudson 001.jpg (38.76 KiB) Viewed 37973 times
redyammy

Post by redyammy »

with the trailer look at pressurising it with a clean air intake up front,seen some filthy cars come out of trailers
momec3

Post by momec3 »

The best thing you can have is an oil temp gauge.
The worst thing you can have is an oil temp gauge.
Ignorance is bliss.

And what redyammy says.
Chris
Gus

Post by Gus »

Ha ha ha, well we've spent enough this year so no oil temp guage. We'll go with ignorance.

Cheers
Merry Christmas
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hey Gus and guys,,i been away too long,,looks good,and i'm pleased that Chris has been filling in your questions. If you have tried contacting me, please try again,,0418 733 191

Bob Ellis
DLRA chief Car Inspector
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Just read back through it Bob. My best advice was"your gunna need more beer for that job" :)
Chris
Gus

Post by Gus »

Ah! the famous Bob Ellis!!

Well, I think we have most things sorted now and yes Chris's advice has been well received, all 3 team members are now on a first name basis with all the local bottle shops.

Anyway you'll most likely hear from me in a couple weeks Bob, we'll finish putting the car together and post a few more pictures, then you can tell us what we've done wrong.

Cheers and happy new year guys.