Bike Guys

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

David Leikvold

Re: Bike Guys

Post by David Leikvold »

I don't see that paid staff could do the job any better, unless they already have Speedweek experience. Look at the canteen, they're paid staff and they're new every year and the standard varies considerably. Plus they aren't racers so they don't understand us properly.
:mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Dave maybe I need to be more specific I envisage "some " of the voluntary positions be made redundant and be replaced with paid staff ( these could well be existing club members ? )....those being the mainstays of the racing week Monday to Friday, timing, starters , fire / rescue , medical & race director? , pre race and pack up jobs still club volunteers, reasoning for this idea, freeing up the race teams and crews to concentrate on racing as this is what we come for and not having to interrupt valuable time in sending crew or rider/drivers to help in these tasks, this idea could dovetail into your 4 track idea.just an idea

cheers
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

That makes sense. It would be interesting to see where we might find these people, ANDRA or CAMS officials would probably be the most likely choice. I wonder what they'd make of it all. If nothing else, fresh eyes might see the solutions we're missing. Thanks for the clarification.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

I think Cams would require more dunnies than are available in South Australia. Let alone the paperwork.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Don't panic Chris, I'm definitely not suggesting we seek CAMS affiliation, all we're after is some officials who are experienced and might be able to add value. And lets face it, twenty more toilets might just be enough!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Gary, i like your comment about freeing up time for the racer,, people seem to forget or simpily don't realize/understand what the racer has done during the year to put their machine on the start line,, yes volunteers give their time for the week, that's their choice, the racer gives his time all year for that chance during that week, the racer "Pays" for that chance, that's their choice,,

When you are a lone wolf, sure there are people that are willing to help, but you still have to keep an eye on "everything" thay do, these machines arnt "everyday shoppers","safety" as always is paramount,, taking half a day out of your racing(everything in your pit is put on hold) puts you even further back in the line,, many times I have seen teams that just send one of the crew to do their volunteers stint, meanwhile life in the fastlane for them continues unabated,,

A lone wolf may sit in line for hours, inching to the start line, due to many factors racing for the day ends, he has volunteered for the next morning, so its to the back of the line after lunch the next day, depending on what day of the week it is he hasent made a pass in two days, believe me, I know this from experience,,

Next year I am no longer a lone wolf, instead we will be three almost lone wolfs with +200mph bikes each, and hopefully a mate to look after the three of us, we will be lining up nose to tail so as to make it a little easier on him,, that's our choice :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
redyammy

Post by redyammy »

been reading this with interest and volunteering is always problematic but as a rule I think the club is well served but as always in this situation there are always some who do more than their fair share,
Maybe off topic but with reference to Dave and others not getting water and not getting fed or transported I have been of the opinion for a while that the club needs an extra positon ,some sort of scheduler,
This is basically Animals job now but with all his other duties he gets pulled all over the place and as a result all sorts of stuff falls through the cracks.
We need a plan with a timeline for the meeting (and no unfortunately at this stage at least I am not volunteering).
the scheduler would set times for firies and safety to be on track and set a realistic start time each day based on this,
He/she would ensure all volunteers were supplied with what they need to survive a hot day and do regular checks to make sure all is OK.
they would check that lunch breaks were only called once firies lunch was ready for them not just at 12 because that is what we expect.
It would be a big job that needed planning beforehand and during the meet the scheduler would basically be in charge of volunteers and ensure that they were sent to areas where they were really needed.At present many jobs end up with extra people while others are under resourced,
I see the scheduler as having to work closely with Animal and being complimentary to the race director to ensure a smoother running event.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Won't say a word here but that I totally agree.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Damn it, I hate it when I spend a long time composing a pithy and well considered response only to have it disappear when I press submit.

Here's the quick version : Redyammy, you are so right but you forgot the shade!

Having had my suggestions ignored or copped abuse by morons for years now I predict that any change in 2018 will be minimal. My dollar is on nothing of substance changing, we will still have two tracks, two miles of good salt to the south of the startlines, the crappy old rusted rotten and filthy and filled with junk start line van will still be dragged out for no good reason and parked uselessly a long way from either start line. The rest I'll leave for another time. Surprise me, prove me wrong, fix everything that is wrong and improve everything else!

I will say though that one of the reasons we are leaving is that two particular members of the committee seem to enjoy giving us a hard time for no good reason. We will not cop abuse from them ever again, especially on Friday afternoon like they both did this year.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

As you can tell, one thing that never changes and is getting very annoying is the start line van. It is worn out and useless and has been ever since we introduced the second track. We need to either have the two start lines converge so we can get by with one new van or have the start lines in different places as my four track idea would require and have a second van. The old timing van was better than the start line van and that got replaced and may even have air conditioning in 2018. Why are we so undeserving of having clean and tidy vans that would give us shade, cold water, somewhere to work and somewhere to sit?
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Years ago we didn't take a lunch break, which was fine by me, I just ate while I was on the go. The lunch break wastes four hours of track time every year. At it's optimum that means we waste 28 runs a day on T2 and 14 runs on T1. 42 times 4 is 168 runs that don't happen.

Why do we persist with procedures that waste precious time?
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Ronnie,
Your comment about the lone wolf having to go to the back of the line after volunteering has me thinking that we should give priority to anyone who has just done a volunteer shift. Come straight to the Priority Line twice as your reward. The same rule applies on T2 or T3. And if you volunteer at the start line you would normally use we will know you're coming and make you most welcome.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
redyammy

Post by redyammy »

Dave,If you and Pete aren't there next year you will be sorely missed as over the last few years you have dramatically improved the running of the show although I can see you have had much obstruction/frustration.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Thanks Dave, my comment wasent about having "a bitch", it was intended to show that "all" teams are different, and how this voulenteer thing affects lone wolfs in a way that most, if not all other teams would think of,, its all well an good to sit in a meeting an think, yeah we will do that based on how our team operates its not going to worry us, put ya hand up, without really appricating how it really affects someone else,,

Redyammy, great comment 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

David Leikvold wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 10:03 am Years ago we didn't take a lunch break, which was fine by me, I just ate while I was on the go. The lunch break wastes four hours of track time every year. At it's optimum that means we waste 28 runs a day on T2 and 14 runs on T1. 42 times 4 is 168 runs that don't happen.

Why do we persist with procedures that waste precious time?
David
I think the lunch break came with the profesional fire crews who sit out on the lake for the whole day in full gear

As far as the committee goes. they are all volenteers, myself included, all the postions are declared vacant at the AGM.
All are voted on by who ever bothers to turn up at the AGM. Anyone can nominate for any position

Gary is right that the committee is made up almost entirely of car people
As Chris states in his earlier post "bike guys, step up and volenteer"
There's no conspiracy here. It's just a case of someone else will do it
and that's what happens.

And for the record, I have never run a bike on the lake, only a car
but I attend every committe meeting and stand up for the bike guys and girls
I look at every rule change submission with the state reps before it's voted on, by the committee
and I try to answer all emails regarding whatever.

G
They make it
I make it work