Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

BONES

Classic Motorcycle class

Post by BONES »

Well
It appears that we now have a Classic Motorcycle Class
436 NEW classes
But 1200 existing classes without records.
I thought Land Speed Racing was about setting NEW records not making classes to suite bikes that are in sheds.
The fastest bike on our salt is a 1972 Suzuki built with no money but a huge amount of dedication is not allowed.
Any watercooled engine is not allowed. Is this only a class for some classic bikes?

There are 1200 unclaimed records.
Anybody should be able to find a record to contest within their budget.

Hope I don't upset anyone
cheers Bones
Johno Senior

Re: Classic Motorcycle class

Post by Johno Senior »

Showing your age Bones, they say old farts don't like change . Bit surprised as I thought Lake gardener was the 51st state of USA, LSR being a USA sport and all our regs based on their game etc I was surprised it took so long for Australia to catch up with their ongoing evolvement. Classic racing is old hat over there.
Hopefully Bones it will be a reason to get a few more old farts out there on the salt with the added bonus of more people to help clean dunnies so less times people have to do it. hehehehe
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Always enjoyed the weekend after BUB's at Miller Park watching the Vintage and Classic bikes go round,, Bones, didn't I see you there one year :wink: :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

At the risk of sounding mean, and I don't want to be, if these Classic Motorcycles are really slow this is the perfect reason for running my previously mentioned third track and put all these bikes on GPS. We've had old slow bikes on Track 2 in the past and their riders tell me they don't want to risk the engines by going flat out to reach the first timing beam, so they're really just slowing down Track 2. I don't think that is fair to people who are doing more than 100mph in a car or on a bike to have to wait for them, they should have to qualify to run Track 2. I think 100mph should be the minimum allowable speed on Track 2 until Wednesday afternoon at the earliest. Don't like that? In that case I need to remind you that it is called Speedweek, not Trundle Along At Half Throttle for 1.75 Miles Week.

Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Appricate your point Dave,, me thinks that there wont be hords of'em and their speeds will be comparable too most sub 200's out there now ,,

In 2004 ran my 82 Turboed Kawasaki GPZ (naked) to an easy backing off licence pass off 160,, with the experience (feel) for speed gained over the years since, I estimate that 'ole girl would have run into the high 180's 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

It's just a little bit of extra work. I don't think they'll be much slowere. Just look at Stuart Hoopers bike
G
They make it
I make it work
BONES

Post by BONES »

Jonno
"Showing your age Bones, they say old farts don't like change "
I am happy to change and will do. When I change class I will choose a bike capable of setting an existing record
Ronnie
"Always enjoyed the weekend after BUB's at Miller Park watching the Vintage and Classic bikes go round,, Bones, didn't I see you there one year :wink:"
Yes, I've been to Miller a few times and would love to ride a bike that suits their classes--- My TZ 250/350 suits both venues.-- should also be in classic :-)

Lets hope that the people who take ake advantage of these new classes put some effort into their race bikes and we don't see a bunch of bikes racing because they were just sitting in a shed.

I do happen to have some suitable bikes for this new classic class----- I could get out the old TZ750 out and fit some TR3 cylinders. That should work ok in Modified.
Graham---- it will have a red seat

cheers Bones