Rookie Questions

Moderator: DLRA

Derek

Rookie Questions

Post by Derek »

Hi All!

I'm new here, and interested in building a Holden grey motor, or similar, powered nostalgia style belly tanker (although I also have an ex drag-race Kwaka 250 triple...), but I can't find any links to obtaining the rule book in the search engine - so could someone please point me in the right direction?

Using vintage wire wheels - does anyone know what make and size of wheel has the best tyre selection for the salt - I guess they'd probably be rated only 100mph or so...

Would the non-record speeds I will be achieving (my lakester may be fitted with coffee maker and sandwich press) mean I would be concentrating more on safety than measurements or appearance rules?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before - I couldn't find anything in the search engine. Opinions welcome! Best wishes to you all with your projects - amazing uplifting stuff!

Cheers Derek
hawkwind

Re: Rookie Questions

Post by hawkwind »

Derek https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm this will take you to the dlra rule book
cheers Gary
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Derek,

You may have trouble getting old wire wheels through tech inspection. Get new ones, or better still, just use new steel wheels and Moon discs, that way you can use tyres without needing to use tubes and rust bands (the rubber sleeve that stops the spokes puncturing the tube). V or Z speed rated road tyres are permitted up to 200 mph and your car will never go that fast with a grey motor. The tyres don't need to be wide, look at lakester photos for more guidance. If you are going to Speedweek this year, have a long look at Greg Telford's car, it is well made and is a grey motored lakester so you'll have some competition. I've always liked the idea of front brakes, they're handy if you're on fire.

If you include your location you are much more likely to find other interested people in your area so you won't have to do it all on your own.

Cheers
Ex-Starter Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Cheers Gary and Dave
I'll sort some membership.
What you say about the wheels makes sense Dave.
After I posted I remembered that everything needs to follow the relevant rule - no matter what it is, or how slow it is.
I'm about 1.5 hours south of Brisbane.
Thanks.
Derek
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Derek,

What I forgot to mention is that wire wheels hate salt. And salt hates any metal. It gets into everything, most worryingly into both ends of the spokes and will rust out the rim and the hub ends where you can't see it unless you strip the wheels after every event and keep them completely clean and disassembled for fifty weeks of the year. They're more trouble than they're worth.

The QTA has a get together at Bullet Cars at Yatala once in a blue moon. It's worth the drive. Keep an eye on this forum for details.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
gyrozshed

Post by gyrozshed »

Hi Derek have you seen this article.

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/street ... er-–-video

Cheers Greg
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks for the link Greg - I hadn't seen that in my googling.
I'm getting over some ill health so I wont get to speed week, but I hope to get active about it soon.

Cheers
Derek