FEET FORWARD AG1350

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

harky

FEET FORWARD AG1350

Post by harky »

Ok my build diary
Any and all comments / advice welcome ——— be gentle my ego may be damaged
The Feet Forward ( FF) is , for me ,is a way to help me over come my inabality to ride in a serious squat position ie knees to the chest . so far my 2 bikes have been lay forward , feet back . This means my head is nearly in hypa extension , and even
though i wear a leatt neck brace ( to help control more extension) it is not comfortable.

So FF , semi lay back , i feel i still have good upper body re active control , it also feels much better ergonomically ( ie in the shed and not with the mile posts flashing past ) and much more comfortable on the neck .

I have had a CHS ( centre hub steering ) front wheel CAD drawn / designed , using an R1 /R6 front wheel

it is being made by a bespoke cnc small engineering company

So some of this is paper sketched , floor chalk drawn , evolves in my head , a lot of it is on the K.I.S.S. principle , and what have i got laying about.

I also can see a weight bias forward of the bike centre. aka dart theory , weight very low , smaller frontal area , i will look just over the top of the front wheel .
This may evolve from A to APS , but that is along way off .
my other thinking is behind me there can be some good body work — as an A bike
Busa power will make it 1350 class and G ( petrol ) , i may go F ( fuel ) but all that is development in the future
The Busa frame behind me is about convienence and simplicity , mounted power unit and suspension .——- k.i.s.s. simples !
I had thought i would have a ridgid front (+ the CHS more of the simples ) but have gone with suspension , canter lever swing arm , and 40. / 50 mm of travel , some of that yet to be finalised!
wheel base is 3—-to 3.3 metres
i will have a retractable “ trainer “ wheel system , seems practable and sensible——- get to 20–30 ks , wheels up , just like a plane !
steering —- where to put it , is something i still keep re thinking , my knees will be slightly bent , so the steering being under my knees and by my hips , is the most likely ( that’s about access to getting on and off the bike )

So these are the “draft “ drawings of the CENTRE HUB STEERING system , i have about 18deg X2 of steering ——-A class has a —- total of 30 steering angle. 15 deg each way ( update that is now not a requirement)
Last edited by harky on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
harky

Re: FEET FORWARD AG1350

Post by harky »

So TinyPics is working for me
This is as the project looks today
the engine / frame will be 50 mm lower , and that will change my sitting angle
The plan is this “ might “ be ready for 2019
Last edited by harky on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
harky
DLRA #643
momec3

Post by momec3 »

That seating position is comfortable in a car. Are the bars under for simplicity? It would feel much more natural above. That just looks like it will take some getting used to.
Chris
harky

Post by harky »

Chis
the frame / rails are as i intend , there will be some mono sheet work between them , the carbon fibre seat ( you can’t see it , is from one of my recumbent road —- push bikes ) ( yep some of us pedal as well )
i may have some sort of centre board between my legs that helps me grip and stay in position
A “ shallow “ shoulder padding will help as well ———— are we allowed to use VELCRO ???????
hands by my side seems the most un natural position .
Ps
all this is on constant review ——— the outcome may not be anything like this !
repost of some early concept layouts
Last edited by harky on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harky
DLRA #643
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Might feel natural coming from a recumbent bike. Many of the 3 wheeled versions steer a bit like that. Are planning on this March for this?
Chris
harky

Post by harky »

2019 is the plan —— may be
as we all know any project can take years !
a lot of this is meant to be a simple lay out ———- famous last words —- you can quote me !
harky
DLRA #643
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Harky,
I just noticed this thread. Have you had a good look at "Hoofhearted's" lay down side car from Bonneville. Bill Anderson is his name. He has his handlebars down low, but there's no obvious reason why they couldn't be a bit higher. Here's a link to a world of thought:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bill ... YhLWULpvOM:

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:

P.S. Thanks very much for volunteering at the start line! I wish I was there.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
harky

Re: FEET FORWARD AG1350 b

Post by harky »

there are some good pictures there
i got the CHS ( centre hub steering) system from the engineering business last week ,so some progress
i will not lay down as much as that bike , but steering under my knees is the go ,
We are nearly packed and ready
I am doing the track 2 pre stage , ( Monday AM) Barbara may relieve me ( al little )
Track 2 will be rookies only Monday AM ,so may be like herding MORE cats
any crap and I intend to walk away
David , how you and your Brother have been treated is very poor , main volunteers ( like yourself) being watered , fed and in shade, rotational relief is basic “ work place “ requirements and to lose your professionalism is a big loss
conditions look good , and cooler than usual , cold nights will make sleep better for everyone
missya
S & B harky s
harky
DLRA #643
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Don't worry, the rookies will be a doddle. Most of them will be as nervous as a tomcat at the vet, so they will do anything you tell them. If any of them complain about waiting remind them that Track 2 can manage about 28 runs an hour if NOTHING goes wrong so they won't have to wait very long. If they don't like that tell them to perhaps consider some other form of motorsport. Ask them what they have volunteered for. One thing I always tell the newbies is that once they go past the two mile timing beam they are just in the way and holding up the show. Tell them to find the first exit that they can stop safely for and get to the all clear bali flag point asap so we can send the next one down. Impress upon them that they are no more or less important than anyone else and that they MUST do everything they possibly can to make the meeting run efficiently. NEVER stop short of the bali flag unless it is an emergency. And tell their crew to watch them on their run like a hawk so they can be ready to retrieve them if necessary.

Last year we had a bloke lunch his motor down the deep end of the track. His crew guy wasn't watching and hadn't made himself known so it took forever to get him down there. Then when he got to him the guy decided to take his leathers off because it was "too hard" to get in the van with them on. I was NOT HAPPY! It might be an idea to have their crew guy introduce themselves to the wrangler so we can expedite things if it goes wrong.

When I flag at Morgan Park they provide everything. The flag point has shade, toilets are handy and clean, we get an Esky full of drinks, they bring a packed lunch out to us with a sandwich, a packet of chips, a piece of fruit and some cake. They provide motel accommodation and dinner on Saturday night. When Sunday is over they give me a $25 fuel voucher from one of their sponsors to get me home. I was absolutely flabbergasted when they did this the first time. As you well might imagine!

Cheers
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I was reading your post Dave and that incident with the leathers popped into my head before I read your example of it. I was the one who volunteered to drive down to them in "Rusty" and ask them to kindly get the @#$% out of there. They seemed to think it unreasonable that they couldn't get changed and have a picnic whilst holding up the event..... This really should have resulted in at least a yellow card and a visit to the Race Director.

Re Morgan Park - that's too much! They've put unreasonably high expectation into your head. I've always just been happy at the end of a long day of timing to get a can of Cougar from Animal!
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

If that rider (I never knew his name) comes back this year he'd better have a stronger bike and leathers that actually fit. Or have lost 20 kg. Animal did have a word to them but as the bike was dead there was no point to any card being issued. If I'd been running a track this year I would have related the story to one and all and emphasised that such behaviour would NOT be tolerated under any circumstances.

Yes, I agree, Morgan Park is pretty amazing. At Speedweek I would have settled for an esky of cold water every day (which they USED TO supply!) a decent shade structure, a chair, a ute so we didn't have to hitchhike everywhere (one with a floor would have been nice). And I really hate that worn out heap of a startline van. It is full of rusty crap, rotting chipboard and red dirt and is useless. Why can't we get a modern caravan that is a cheap statutory writeoff due to hail damage and kit it out properly? Maybe next year.

Cheers
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Harky,
Sorry for messing up your thread.

Cheers
Dave
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Oh, I forgot to mention that when Pete flags at Eastern Creek he is treated just as well, so Morgan Park isn't a fluke.

:mrgreen:
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

I just saw this thread. I'm a big fan of FF as I don't fold up too well and head first is as bad. I'm looking forward to watch this build come to fruition and run on the salt. The best of luck with it.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.
harky

Post by harky »

about to leave for our speed week
i have just picked up the CHS i have had made
some pictures and a serious start to the project when i return
cheers
harky
Last edited by harky on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
harky
DLRA #643