Methanol

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Stayt`ie

Methanol

Post by Stayt`ie »

Went to replenish my stocks of "Elf" Methanol, only to be told by my supplier thay only handle/sell "Recochem" Methanol now,, I have never heard of that brand,,

Has anyone on here used it ? and if so, how did it affect performance ??
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Tone

Re: Methanol

Post by Tone »

Hi Ronnie,
used to use it when speedway-ing, have had a couple of sprintcar guys reporting metal shavings in bottoms of drums on a couple of occasions,
also be careful with batches/dates, otherwise OK!

Tone
penny

Post by penny »

i was inthe pits after a motorcycle speedway meeting and the guys were draining the fuel tanks back into drums . I couldnt believe that they wernt running it through a filter at least .You have to start somewhere and all little things add up .
The engine builder of Lionel Wests comodore filters the engine oil before adding it into the engine .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Yes Paul, so many times racers are their own worst enemy,, have "always" filted my fuel, however must say not "new" oil,,

Thankyou to the comments on here and those who have contacted me behind the scene, keep 'em coming,,

Seeya's on the Lake and lets hope its not too friggen hot,,
redyammy

Post by redyammy »

recochem are suppliers of industrial solvents (diggers) and while probably OK I would think not a designed race fuel
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

redyammy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:20 am recochem are suppliers of industrial solvents (diggers) and while probably OK I would think not a designed race fuel
Yup, after some resurch that's the conclushion I came too also,, thay only seem to mention Speedway use as an afterthought,, however a successful well known salt racer contacted me, he uses it with a percentage of Acetone added 8)
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Ronnie, we have always found the best thing to mix with methanol in NITRO! See you on the salt. JP
Motorcycle Racer Lake Gairdner & Bonneville.

DLRA, SCTA & AMA record borrower