Classes

Moderator: DLRA

blownvn

Classes

Post by blownvn »

Just looking at the rulebook to see where my VN would slot in the best and looking at the record book and I'm a little confused.

OK, about the car. It's a 1989 model VN V6 with a worked 3.8-litre engine and aftermarket turbocharger (makes 350rwhp on pump fuel and low boost).
Because it's got the non- factory turbo Production is out. So I'm looking at Modified which is fair enough. The rule book seems to indicate that the BGC category would be best for me.

The confusion arose when I looked at the records. My understanding was that I would be bumped up two capacity classes due to the turbocharger but looking at the records shows that Gary Myers has the record of D/BGC at 170.003mph. Now I know that Gary runs a 302 in his car and so it fits into the 261cid-305cid category but doesn't a supercharger bump you up two capacity classes? Or is this just in a categories where they may be a mix of blown and unblown cars?

The VN is 231CID so I guess that puts me into E/BGC, is this correct?

I've decide to not pursue the Valiant build, that car requires a full rebuild while the VN only requires a rollcage and minor work to be made salt ready. Just put some good fuel in the tank and crank up the boost for fun.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Yep E/BGC is the class you,ll be in . You not allowed in E/GC ,cos thats my class next year , so there . I should have the VH41DE ( 4.1 ltr V8 quad cam 32 valve )up and running in the red wagon by then .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
nitro-nige

Re: Classes

Post by nitro-nige »

blownvn wrote:but doesn't a supercharger bump you up two capacity classes? Or is this just in a categories where they may be a mix of blown and unblown cars?

The bumping up 2 classes only applies to /PRO class cars doesn't it?
i.e. any class that doesn't have a seperate blown section, like lakesters where they have /BGL & /GL.

E/BGC would be my guess for your car.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

DON NOBLE wrote:Yep E/BGC is the class you,ll be in . You not allowed in E/GC ,cos thats my class next year , so there . I should have the VH41DE ( 4.1 ltr V8 quad cam 32 valve )up and running in the red wagon by then .

That should be interesting to see. Does it fit in alright?

Thanks for the answers guys. I thought that might be the case but it doesn't hurt to check.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Wow, just checked the SCTA records for E/BGC. Pretty good compared to what I'm looking at, I'm pretty confident of the car going 150-160mph but dunno about how much above that it will go.

But at Bonneville the record for E/BGC is 214.755mph and El Mirage has the minimum set at 195mph.

Oh well, only got a year to get ready better, get started.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

blownvn wrote:
DON NOBLE wrote:Yep E/BGC is the class you,ll be in . You not allowed in E/GC ,cos thats my class next year , so there . I should have the VH41DE ( 4.1 ltr V8 quad cam 32 valve )up and running in the red wagon by then .

That should be interesting to see. Does it fit in alright?

Thanks for the answers guys. I thought that might be the case but it doesn't hurt to check.[/quote

Yes plenty of room , except for the standard brake booster ( have got a Gemini booster to fix that prob ) . They even used the same gearbox mounts and it bolts straight up , engine mounts have to be fabricated .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006