Cost to get "there" from Sydney

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Cost to get "there" from Sydney

Post by Guest »

I'm trying for the umpteenth time to get to the salt only this time I've started about six months earlier than before. My budget is going to be pretty tight and to that end...

Can anyone give me a ballpark time and cost to get from Sydney to the lake please. There'll be no motel stays etc. just fuel, time and any incidentals that may crop up. I realise fuel is subject to the vehicle and if it's towing etc so if you could include that it'd be a help.

I'm looking at having a go at I/Pro, there's a low mileage Suzuki hatch available around the corner for a couple of hundred, I figure it'll go on the back of the Hilux and should work out to be a cheap first time as long as I prepare prior.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day
Time wise if you want a relaxing trip plan on two nights camp say first night Cobar and second night Port Augusta then out to the Lake from there next morning. If your used to travelling long distance this makes it a cool trip but if your not plan an extra night. I've found lots of people arn't used to the distance required each day and are suprised how hard you have to keep pushing to make the miles, so buy some maps and add up the kays. Same with the fuel. Fill the Hilux tomorrow and after your next 100kms fill it again. Cost will be say $x I don't know the return distance from Sydney but I'd guess 3600kms. (Add this up on the map yourself) Take your $x fuel figure times 36 = cost. Now add say 20 % extra for heavy load and this will give you approx fuel cost. I forgot,add another 15% for remote area fuel costs. Hope this helps.

Seeya Chris
Home of the Worlds Fastest Ute

Endeavour to Persevere

RE: Costs to get there.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Chris,

Long distance isn't a problem, we'll have two drivers and set up a bed in the back of the cab. I have two tanks so that'll help to keep fuel costs down but I hear you. It's catch 22 whether to carry any extra as I'll need to keep the weight down as much as possible.

The Hilux is chronic on a trip, 28mpg around town but only 17 on a trip... unladen!!!

Maybe I should take a leaf out of Leigh Russell's book and drive down...

Thanks for the input.