Holden Hub info required

Moderator: DLRA

Reverend Hedgash

Holden Hub info required

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Hey all,

on the front end of the "Spirit of Sunshine" we have EH axles and bearings which we need to convert to Ford pattern.

Until now we have had a set of trailer hubs on them but upon closer inspection they are about as true as a very untrue thing.

Hoppers Stoppers have nicely machined ones but they say that they only know that they fit HR to WB and are unsure whether they fit the EH axle profile.

So does anyone know if an HR hub will fit an EH axle profile?

Anyone got one of each in the back yard they can test?

Hope all are well,
any info greatly appreciated

Reverend H+

[/i]
DLRA Member#412
Drewfus (Stan)

Post by Drewfus (Stan) »

G'day Rev,

Just to clarify, exactly what are the trailer hubs you're currently using? in particular, what are the OD of the bearings?
** build it small, drive it big **
Reverend Hedgash

They are crappy cast numbers which will end up on the 'cars made of spare parts that we didn't use on the good car' .

(These cars will be assembled and sold on eBay. I encourage you not to purchase them as they may look alright but they will be extremely dangerous. Like a Chinese copy BMW...)

Why do you ask?

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Drewfus (Stan)

Post by Drewfus (Stan) »

Fear not, I'm not interested in the hubs, but trying to find an answer to your predicament as I have explored some of these 'adaptions', but my records go via I.D.'s & O.D.s hence the question....

Again, can you tell me the O.D's of the current bearings, or, the Dia's of the EH stubs

Cheers,

Drewfus
Reverend Hedgash

Cool.

I'll have to measure them as I do not know offhand.

Peter from Hoppers says he thinks his will fit the bearings but it is the axle itself that may be a possible problem and to be checking that...

rH+
DLRA Member#412
BOB ELLIS

Holden Hub's

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hedgash , EH Holden spindles take the same A B bearings as all other holdungers. I have EH spindles on my Tee , with HQ-WB dicks's.They give you a bum steer! the only trouble is caliper mounting. Not required in this case.Now for the tricky bit! To have a ford stud pattern .you can use P76 disc's .(hold ya horses there mate), or buy BLANK HQ-WB dicks's from DBA (They will NOT drill to a Ford setup , for liability reasons) Then take to someone like Race Engineering (See Newsletter) to get machined for studs , and machine the dicks off the hub .Thats what we run on the front of the 66 falcon. P76 go on the holden spindles the same , but set the rim in more! . Cheers , Bob #66 C/GCC.
Reverend Hedgash

Excellent info Bob,

thank you very much.

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Dr Goggles

Bob's your uncle

Post by Dr Goggles »

The winner is ,.....Uncle Bob..... there you go Rev' . We aren't running brakes on the front of the 'tank Bob so you've answered the question without me having to grab the calipers and measure the spindle up....seems we're ok then Rev to just go ahead ...BUT!!!! when I spoke to Brian on the weekend he said we should just go with XW or XA hubs ( as Grumm suggested) which have the bolt off discs and just get bearing adaptors from the Rod Shop to suit....there you go brother that's something else for you to look into. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

As long as your hubs match the id of the wheel centre hole, ford changed diameters around then.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Goggles , did ford make bolton dicks's?, Drums .yes. bearing adapters? think what you are doing!A conical taper bearing , in a sleeve , in a hub , 200 odd mph? Nah! Give it a go on a 60mph street car. But at the end of the day , it's your life.(AND the DLRA's existance) .Don't take it wrongly, I don't want to see ANYONE hurt , or worse! I only put my input on the forum to try and help. Cheers , Bob. #66 C/GCC.
Reverend Hedgash

OK, that confirms it.

I am going for the CNC numbers at Hoppers Stoppers. Peter Koning there is DLRA member, knows the requirements and is doing us a good price.

This will clean up any potential weakness / vibration and when racing I want to concentrate on that horizon, not the front wheels...

Thanks all for input.

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Drewfus (Stan)

Post by Drewfus (Stan) »

Job well done.
Reverend Hedgash

Just a post script to this post:

We received the hubs from Hoppers Stoppers and they were in everyway superior to the ones we had. Not only rounder and truer but thicker and neater.

And they fitted like a thing that fits very well.

rH+
DLRA Member#412